Return to “General”

Re: LTFC - November - Creation edition

Victor Tombs wrote: I wasn't involved in the day to day workings of the competition by choice. To tell the truth I asked Katorone to keep me in the dark. I wasn't even aware who the judges were. I now know Hyperion was one but I've no idea who the others were. :angel:
The regular judges were Katorone, myself, and an unnamed individual ;), while occasional 4th judges rotated. We actually came up with a pretty coherent way to fairly judge the entries which I would be happy to share with any judges that may appear for a future contest. :)
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:The regular judges were Katorone, myself, and an unnamed individual ;) , while occasional 4th judges rotated. We actually came up with a pretty coherent way to fairly judge the entries which I would be happy to share with any judges that may appear for a future contest. :)
:thumbup: I'm sure your help will be much appreciated, Hyperion. :angel: It certainly would be good to see regular LT creative contests again. :D

Indeed Daniel. Personally I'd be thrilled to see how you envision traveling through wormholes, construction taking place on colonies, orbital bombardment, ships fleeing a supernova through crowded jumpgates, collapsing pocket universes, loading and unloading via beam transfer, and so on. ;) :D
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Allright, how about we resurrect the contests in a somewhat lightweight form that doesn't require such a high amount of organisation?
This is what I've been thinking of:

Every month (month ? week? what would you prefer?) we start a new thread giving maybe 3 different topics to choose from. Those topics should be LT / SciFi related. Anyone who wants to participate can choose one or more if they want and post their art / stories / movies inside that thread (and only that). Additionally there will be a correlating thread for discussion, inspiration, ideas, questions, howtos, WIPs, feedback, constructive(!) critique (if wanted). After the time period is over we'll start over with a new thread and a new set of 3 topics.
That's it. No serious judging or anything - just for the sake of creating.

Would that be something you're interested in?

If so, I could start a first thread, if that's ok with the mods.

I like that idea!
As for frequency, maybe about once every 2 weeks? 1 week might be a bit short for people who don't have that much time, and in the old contests the submissions started to dry up later on in the month (except for the last-minute ones, of course :ghost: )
What say you, Talvieno?
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Lum wrote:Let it happens!

Maybe the Green Jackets should rename the Writing forums in something like "Creativity Forums" and do subforums for writing, REKT and others. Our "contest" topics we could put into "others". A couple of recurrent topics now under "Everything & Anything" could also land there. Opinions? :)
Maybe a special subform for contests?
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

DanielW wrote:I think bi-weekly sounds pretty good. :)
I find even bi-weekly to be very hectic. Monthly or less is better at least for those of us with jobs and familly :roll:
The problem (the more so if themes are changing) is that it may stop of even starting when we know that there is no chance to finish before the next themes are coming...

But don't wait for me...

I'd be fine with it. I was actually wanting to set up something so I could handle prizes and judging the way Katorone did. The only problem is that I don't have a way to receive donation money - no bank account. It's complicated. :) As a lot of our prize donations were in cash form, it makes things rather difficult.

If you guys do decide to do something unofficial, I would advise no shorter duration than monthly, though, for the reasons CSE mentioned.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now