Return to “General”

Re: Economy and Crafting?

I think that has to be included otherwise there would be no smuggling missions! :twisted:

Trading in illicit goods will always be more profitable but then you trade this off against risk, either getting blown up or having your ship impounded until you pay your fine. Or you end up having your ship take away then what do you do? You could end up doing work in system piloting a shuttle until you can afford to get a new starship. Chances are most people will have just hit the quick-load button at this point but it can sometimes be fun to take it on the chin and roll with it.

Well, I favor the idea of an auto-overwrite save system like Minecraft, but I understand that many people prefer the ability to save in different slots.

Regarding the punishments for smuggling, though, I think it ought to be a fine the first few times and ship impoundment afterwards.
And if you get a new ship, you wipe the slate clean (that way you'd get your leeway of three or four fines before you lose your ship again, instead of just losing ships all the time).

And if you wanted, you could buy your ship off the impound lot or do a mission for them to earn your ship back (of course, you'd have to do this in whatever piece of junk ship they provide for you).

And with that, you have the option to cooperate and get your own ship back, or to steal their ship and do what you like with it.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Grumblesaur wrote:Well, I favor the idea of an auto-overwrite save system like Minecraft, but I understand that many people prefer the ability to save in different slots.

Regarding the punishments for smuggling, though, I think it ought to be a fine the first few times and ship impoundment afterwards.
And if you get a new ship, you wipe the slate clean (that way you'd get your leeway of three or four fines before you lose your ship again, instead of just losing ships all the time).

And if you wanted, you could buy your ship off the impound lot or do a mission for them to earn your ship back (of course, you'd have to do this in whatever piece of junk ship they provide for you).

And with that, you have the option to cooperate and get your own ship back, or to steal their ship and do what you like with it.
Um, smuggling is a major offense and has been since humans first decided to punish people for it.

Maybe it should be variable, the big bloated empire might have you marked as hostile for it while the alliance of allied alliances might let you off with a pat on the back.

The Hedge Knight wrote:What.

That's not what I said at all.
Oh, right. I wasn't reading very closely, was I.
But your thought triggered another one in my head.

Anyway, quick summary:

Unfriendly factions punish you more harshly, friendly factions might let it slide.
Breaking laws hurts your reputation.
(Perhaps we could have bribes on stations -- like Freelancer -- to fix reputations?)
Offenders receive a monetary penalty, repeat offenders may have their ship impounded in exchange for a piece of junk ship.
Offenders may offer to do a mission for the punishing faction and either cooperate (to have their ship returned) or steal the ship given to them to do the mission.

Any other thoughts on the matter of contraband and smuggling?

The Hedge Knight wrote:Can't imagine that would work for most factions.

I mean if you are a former marine and well known supporter of the government and a cop catches you with fifty pounds of cocaine in your trunk, they aren't going to lighten the sentence a bit.
Well that depends on the cop, the size of your bribe... and if he was gonna buy some of that coke off you ;U

And I mean, this isn't real life we're talking, this is a fictional civilization in another universe. What if the faction only made something contraband because a treaty they didn't want to break, but in reality doesn't care or even wishes to underhandedly support it? I'd say it's not ENTIRELY out of the realm of possibility.

Probably not something that should be too common, but not impossible either.

Well, not all contraband is quite as bad as cocaine. For example, I might be carrying human organs in my hold without a permit, but said organs would likely be used for keeping people alive/studying in a lab, whereas cocaine is just about getting someone addicted and then farming them for money until they die. And even then a few ounces of it is vastly different from fifty pounds.

So perhaps it could depend on quantity as well as the type of item?

Can't get in trouble for something when you don't get caught...which begs the question, who does the catching? Did we just uncover another possible career? Customs officer? :P it's an interesting topic and probably deserves a thread of it's own...

Ideally a planet would only be selling surplus resources...
It gets more complicated than that when you start looking at economic effieciencies and scale of economies. And as a realist example, free international trade on Earth and more specifically the Ricardian Model.

For me to try and fully explain myself would be too much for me to post as it was taught
over two lectures and a tutorial, but the links below give a pretty good idea of what I'm going on about. Especially the Ricardian Model link.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_efficiency
**** http://www.eoearth.org/article/Free_trade. ****

Basically, what I'm trying to say, if we assume that freight costs are minimal (not a realist assumption) then it wouldn't be unlikely to have planets optimizing their production to be of one particular product or industry. E.g. Farming, shipbuilding, electronics and ect. So yes, essentially they are trading their surplus, but using the economic gains to buy or trade for their other items.
“The impact of space activities is nothing less than the galvanizing of hope and imagination for human life continuum into a future of infinite possibility.”

Grumblesaur wrote:Well, not all contraband is quite as bad as cocaine. For example, I might be carrying human organs in my hold without a permit, but said organs would likely be used for keeping people alive/studying in a lab, whereas cocaine is just about getting someone addicted and then farming them for money until they die. And even then a few ounces of it is vastly different from fifty pounds.

Making it complicated, Remember the more in depth it is the more work that Josh will have to do. :D

But I like this idea, Say give a general type to each item. So that it is not a load of work.

For example a item can be;

- White level item, Which is normal goods that you do not need a permit to carry.
- Gray level item, You need a permit but if you do get caught carrying the item without a permit you would just get a fine and restricted items taken.
- Black level item, You need a permit and if you are caught carrying it you will be heavily punished.
Limit Theory - The most beast looking Space Sim.

ghyt wrote:
The Hedge Knight wrote:Can't imagine that would work for most factions.

I mean if you are a former marine and well known supporter of the government and a cop catches you with fifty pounds of cocaine in your trunk, they aren't going to lighten the sentence a bit.
Well that depends on the cop, the size of your bribe... and if he was gonna buy some of that coke off you ;U

And I mean, this isn't real life we're talking, this is a fictional civilization in another universe. What if the faction only made something contraband because a treaty they didn't want to break, but in reality doesn't care or even wishes to underhandedly support it? I'd say it's not ENTIRELY out of the realm of possibility.

Probably not something that should be too common, but not impossible either.
The game isn't wholly unrealistic, if they added flying space cows that hot rainbow lasers, we would complain it is unrealistic (tho awesome.)
Grumblesaur wrote:Well, not all contraband is quite as bad as cocaine. For example, I might be carrying human organs in my hold without a permit, but said organs would likely be used for keeping people alive/studying in a lab, whereas cocaine is just about getting someone addicted and then farming them for money until they die. And even then a few ounces of it is vastly different from fifty pounds.

Yeah but they wouldn't go "lawl it's probably cool" and let the guy with tons of organs go.

Permits would be awesome though. Especially for the bureaucratic nightmare federations. "Do you have your weapons permit? No? Please go get your licensing permit, then find someone to give you a class B item permit, then find some one to give you a class BA-44593 permit, then find some one to get you a D class sanction permit, then find some one to give you a TYPE-B4-GENERIC-GUN permit, then find some one to give you a TYPE-B4-GENERIC-GUN firing permit, then find..."

Online Now