Return to “General”

Re: IRC

Dinosawer wrote:Yes, the one is voice chat and text chat, the other is text chat and voice chat. Totally different. Yeah.
:ghost:
Aha yeah cause Skype is exactly the same as Teamspeak, which is the same as Discord, which is the same as a phone call!

You know Doom and Counterstrike are both the same because they're FPS'?

Hmm wait a minute it seems drawing similarities through one general shared category doesn't work too well...
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Text chat and voice chat isn't a genre. It's a function. There's not a lot of variety you can put in "put word on someone else's screen".
I used both, and honestly don't see the difference (except that discord has a web interface)

False analogies, false analogies everywhere
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:honestly don't see the difference (except that discord has a web interface)
and that teamspeaks interface is more tuned towards the voice aspect and discord more towards text.
Discord doesnt have subrooms as far as I can tell.

But then you can make many channels for no cost.

With TS3 someone needs to host, Discord doesnt require a host. But how the fuck does discord make money?
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Dinosawer wrote:Text chat and voice chat isn't a genre. It's a function. There's not a lot of variety you can put in "put word on someone else's screen".
I used both, and honestly don't see the difference (except that discord has a web interface)

One function does not a program make.
Teamspeak's total combination of functions make it geared towards organisational communication (Like for EVE) while Discord is more akin to Skype, a service for personal VOIP and some text chat.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Text chat and voice chat isn't a genre. It's a function. There's not a lot of variety you can put in "put word on someone else's screen".

Teamspeak's total combination of functions make it geared towards organisational communication (Like for EVE) while Discord is more akin to Skype, a service for personal VOIP and some text chat.
If you set up discord correctly, it could be.
It has room visibility based on security settings.
bot capabilities.
Free service. :V

Seriously... how the fuck do they make money?
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:

If you set up discord correctly, it could be.
It has room visibility based on security settings.
bot capabilities.
Free service. :V

Seriously... how the frak do they make money?
Cosmetics basically. You can read about the paid account here

Silverware wrote:
BFett wrote:Cosmetics basically. You can read about the paid account here
Ah cool. That's not a bad way of doing it. :D
Yeah. No paywall, just some nice extras. I use Discord since 2015 where it was still in alpha, and I'm so deep in love with it. It has it's flaws, but it's still getting developed. :mrgreen:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

We had several people campaign to move IRC to Discord, but it just didn't happen, even in part. One guy even made an IRC-Discord bridge bot to move conversations from one place to the other. No effect. :P I don't see it happening, honestly.

That said, Discord is far too bloated for my tastes. It's like the difference between C++ and a VPL.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Just some fun with Quackthing in IRC:

Code: Select all

[20:10:08] * +Quackthing feels like singing.
[20:10:13] <+Quackthing> Quack! Quaack! Quaaack! Quack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaaack! Quack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaaaack!
[20:10:18] <+Quackthing> Quack! Quack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quaaack! Quack! Quaack! Quaaack!
[20:10:23] <+Quackthing> Quack! Quack! Quack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaaaaack!
[20:10:28] * +Quackthing motions for everyone else to join in.
[20:10:33] <+Quackthing> Quack quack quack quack quaaaack! Quack quack quack quaaaack! Quack quack quack quack quaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaaaack!
[20:10:38] <+Quackthing> Quack quack quack quack quaaaack! Quack quack quack quaaaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaaaaaaaack!
[20:10:43] <+Quackthing> Quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack!
[20:10:44] * Quackthing was kicked from #limittheory by Bele (Bele)
[20:10:44] * Quackthing (~Quackthin@gamesurge-34eabd58.as43234.net) joins #limittheory
[20:10:44] * ChanServ sets mode: +v Quackthing
[20:10:45] <@Talvieno> lol
[20:10:49] <@Talvieno> rofl
[20:10:51] * +Quackthing realises this isn't going as hoped.
[20:10:53] <+DWMagus> I was in the middle of auth'ing.
[20:10:56] <+Quackthing> Quaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quack! Quaaack! ... Quack! Quaaaaaaaaack!
[20:10:57] <@Talvieno> rofl xD
[20:11:01] <+Quackthing> Quack quack quack quack quack quaaaaaaack! ... Quaack. Quaack. ... Quaack. ... Quack?
[20:11:02] * ChanServ sets mode: +o DWMagus
[20:11:02] * DWMagus (kiwiirc@8db1010e.278b024e.4de5125b.IP4) has quit IRC (Registered)
[20:11:02] * DWMagus (kiwiirc@DWMagus.user.gamesurge) joins #limittheory
[20:11:02] * NuclearFallout.WA.US.GameSurge.net sets mode: +ov DWMagus DWMagus
[20:11:03] <+Cha0zz> We should ban all bots
[20:11:06] * +Quackthing stops singing.
[20:11:10] <@Talvieno> ...rofl
[20:11:13] <+Quackthing> Forgot the words.
[20:11:13] <@Talvieno> this timing is amazing duck
[20:11:35] <@DWMagus> I auth, Cha0zz says to ban bots, and Quackthing stops singing.
[20:11:43] <@Talvieno> xD :D
[20:11:52] * @Talvieno applauds the timing
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Talvieno wrote:We had several people campaign to move IRC to Discord, but it just didn't happen, even in part. One guy even made an IRC-Discord bridge bot to move conversations from one place to the other. No effect. :P I don't see it happening, honestly.

That said, Discord is far too bloated for my tastes. It's like the difference between C++ and a VPL.
If it is moved completely to discord I will literally never be active. I can't use discord.. It's just not... Well it's not this:
Spoiler:      SHOW

Online Now