Return to “General”

Re: IRC

From a different thread, but more appropriate here:
ThymineC wrote:The reason this thread came up is because in the IRC chat a while ago Josh said "This is an idea I've had for shields" (in general, not LT specific) and I thought Josh's idea was pretty cool so I expanded on it.
Should Joshisms like this -- but especially the ones that are LT-specific -- be captured in a FAQ or wiki?

I like the idea of Josh having places he can go and just shoot the breeze without his every word being taken as Holy Writ.

On the other hand, if things that Josh says on IRC or elsewhere are going to be used as canonical utterances to back up ideas, it would be nice to have those written down. That would help those of us trying to keep track of what LT is or isn't currently, but who can't lurk on IRC all day.

Thoughts?

Flatfingers wrote:From a different thread, but more appropriate here:
ThymineC wrote:The reason this thread came up is because in the IRC chat a while ago Josh said "This is an idea I've had for shields" (in general, not LT specific) and I thought Josh's idea was pretty cool so I expanded on it.
Should Joshisms like this -- but especially the ones that are LT-specific -- be captured in a FAQ or wiki?

I like the idea of Josh having places he can go and just shoot the breeze without his every word being taken as Holy Writ.

On the other hand, if things that Josh says on IRC or elsewhere are going to be used as canonical utterances to back up ideas, it would be nice to have those written down. That would help those of us trying to keep track of what LT is or isn't currently, but who can't lurk on IRC all day.

Thoughts?
Um, why would it make a difference what the source of the idea was? :? Like you said, it was just Josh shooting the breeze. If anyone else had suggested the idea, I'd still have expanded upon it and posted about it here.

ThymineC wrote: Um, why would it make a difference what the source of the idea was? :? Like you said, it was just Josh shooting the breeze. If anyone else had suggested the idea, I'd still have expanded upon it and posted about it here.
this, if you want to know what happened on a certain day, you can always ask LT-forum for the log.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

ThymineC wrote:why would it make a difference what the source of the idea was? :? Like you said, it was just Josh shooting the breeze. If anyone else had suggested the idea, I'd still have expanded upon it and posted about it here.
I'm on record as saying (more than once) that "good ideas are where you find them." I have zero problem with using any idea as a spark for a simple or detailed suggestion.

My question here was not about general idea-sparkers, but things that Josh in particular says that have some relationship to LT. Any Joshism that someone is going to refer back to is, I think, a fair candidate for immortalizing. Rather than someone paraphrasing him, why not document what he actually said so that everyone, whether a veteran here or a newbie, can have the same understanding?

An off-handed comment in IRC probably doesn't meet that criterion. Again, I'm not trying to make Josh concerned that anything he says may be taken down and used against him. I affirmatively want him to be able to just chat with folks about whatever.

But I do think the idea of a written repository of his comments about LT, including ones made on IRC or wherever, is a reasonable one. That way we're all reading from the same book about what is or isn't likely to be in this game.

Finally, I maybe should have added earlier that nothing I've said on this subject was intended to be critical of you, Thymine, or anyone else. There've been other "Josh said on IRC" moments; this just felt like a good moment to ask my question.

I wish the ceaseless demands of my day job let me lurk on IRC! :D

Per croxis' request I have moved the forum bot to #LimitTheoryForum.
It's on the same network as #limittheory, so nothing really changes. To view the channel type: /join #LimitTheoryForum when you're connected to IRC.

I will expand the script so it will be possible to (un)register for certain forums, subforums, topics and users, and be notified of new posts regardless of which channel you're in.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

So, to everyone on the forums...GET ON IRC and learn how some of us can be everywhere at the same time :lol: and to talk...and be friends...and like hang out!
:ghost: :geek: :monkey: :squirrel: :crazy: :geek: :ugeek: :mrgreen: :geek: <---Basically what we have going here.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Charley_Deallus wrote:So, to everyone on the forums...GET ON IRC and learn how some of us can be everywhere at the same time :lol: and to talk...and be friends...and like hang out!
:ghost: :geek: :monkey: :squirrel: :crazy: :geek: :ugeek: :mrgreen: :geek: <---Basically what we have going here.
Let me guess, Sly's represented by the eccentric, eclectic, and hyper squirrel?
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
Charley_Deallus wrote:So, to everyone on the forums...GET ON IRC and learn how some of us can be everywhere at the same time :lol: and to talk...and be friends...and like hang out!
Let me guess, Sly's represented by the eccentric, eclectic, and hyper squirrel?
Which one is the ghost?

Online Now