Return to “General”

Re: IRC

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
cpy wrote:IRC? What year is it? Every cool kid in town uses discord. :)
Cool kids use bash and telnet to send each other messages directly :ghost:

You are free to build and maintain a bidirectional bridge bot, though :P
Hmm...reminds me of the xkcd...
Image And don't have to be cool, we're engineers. We use what fits our need best. And so far we don't need voice com for everything.

Dinosawer wrote:Why would we use something heavier and proprietary to do the exact same thing our lightweight, open and portable thing already does?

(We use Discord, when we need voice chat, otherwise, nah)
You know there's a portable version for discord, right? :shifty:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JanB1 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Why would we use something heavier and proprietary to do the exact same thing our lightweight, open and portable thing already does?

(We use Discord, when we need voice chat, otherwise, nah)
You know there's a portable version for discord, right? :shifty:
In this case, portable = it can be ported to whatever platform you want
For example, Saoirse is running on python on a Raspberry Pi 2 that's running Kodi.
Anyone can write an IRC client for whatever platform and OS they want, because the protocol is open and fairly simple to use. You can't do that with discord as it's closed source and proprietary.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Discord also runs on anything with a Javascript browser.
So I don't see any real gains/losses over IRC, beyond that we are already on IRC.
And bots are more of a pain in the arse on discord.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:Discord also runs on anything with a Javascript browser.
So I don't see any real gains/losses over IRC, beyond that we are already on IRC.
Iirc Discord was blocked on DW's work or something while IRC was not.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

No, Discord runs IN a Javascript browser. Good luck writing your own client for it. :P
Whereas IRC runs on everything that has an internet connection.
(And is a lot lighter)

Cha0zz wrote:
Iirc Discord was blocked on DW's work or something while IRC was not.
Discord is available at mine, but IRC is not. :V

But then I just connect to a server outside the network and don't care either way. :3

Dinosawer wrote:
No, Discord runs IN a Javascript browser. Good luck writing your own client for it. :P
Whereas IRC runs on everything that has an internet connection.
(And is a lot lighter)
It runs on packets. Like all network things. It's easy enough to simulate a server or client if you know enough about the packets.
And Javascript lends itself to explaining all its packets. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote: It runs on packets. Like all network things. It's easy enough to simulate a server or client if you know enough about the packets.
Using that logic, you can write a client for multiplayer DOOM (new one) in Javascript.
Good luck with that :ghost:

Dinosawer wrote:
Silverware wrote: It runs on packets. Like all network things. It's easy enough to simulate a server or client if you know enough about the packets.
Using that logic, you can write a client for multiplayer DOOM (new one) in Javascript.
Good luck with that :ghost:
Now you're just teasing. :mrgreen:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Dinosawer wrote:If he willingly says dumb things, I can tease him as much as I want. :ghost:
True. :lol:

But yeah, I know that you could get IRC running on a potato (well, not exactly, but you get the metaphor) and Discord is just a cool and sleek replacement of the old and trusty (and nearly never updated) Teamspeak. :D
Nothing to see here

JanB1 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:If he willingly says dumb things, I can tease him as much as I want. :ghost:
True. :lol:

But yeah, I know that you could get IRC running on a potato (well, not exactly, but you get the metaphor) and Discord is just a cool and sleek replacement of the old and trusty (and nearly never updated) Teamspeak. :D
Discord is hardly a replacement for Teamspeak. It's a relatively different function.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Online Now