Return to “General”

Post

Re: IRC

#466
Dinosawer wrote:Yes, the one is voice chat and text chat, the other is text chat and voice chat. Totally different. Yeah.
:ghost:
Aha yeah cause Skype is exactly the same as Teamspeak, which is the same as Discord, which is the same as a phone call!

You know Doom and Counterstrike are both the same because they're FPS'?

Hmm wait a minute it seems drawing similarities through one general shared category doesn't work too well...
I am literally and wholly in love with myself.
Post

Re: IRC

#467
Text chat and voice chat isn't a genre. It's a function. There's not a lot of variety you can put in "put word on someone else's screen".
I used both, and honestly don't see the difference (except that discord has a web interface)

False analogies, false analogies everywhere
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
Post

Re: IRC

#469
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:honestly don't see the difference (except that discord has a web interface)
and that teamspeaks interface is more tuned towards the voice aspect and discord more towards text.
Discord doesnt have subrooms as far as I can tell.

But then you can make many channels for no cost.

With TS3 someone needs to host, Discord doesnt require a host. But how the frak does discord make money?
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
Toba - A Development Dump
Post

Re: IRC

#472
Dinosawer wrote:Text chat and voice chat isn't a genre. It's a function. There's not a lot of variety you can put in "put word on someone else's screen".
I used both, and honestly don't see the difference (except that discord has a web interface)

False analogies, false analogies everywhere
One function does not a program make.
Teamspeak's total combination of functions make it geared towards organisational communication (Like for EVE) while Discord is more akin to Skype, a service for personal VOIP and some text chat.
I am literally and wholly in love with myself.
Post

Re: IRC

#473
Black--Snow wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Text chat and voice chat isn't a genre. It's a function. There's not a lot of variety you can put in "put word on someone else's screen".
I used both, and honestly don't see the difference (except that discord has a web interface)

False analogies, false analogies everywhere
One function does not a program make.
Teamspeak's total combination of functions make it geared towards organisational communication (Like for EVE) while Discord is more akin to Skype, a service for personal VOIP and some text chat.
If you set up discord correctly, it could be.
It has room visibility based on security settings.
bot capabilities.
Free service. :V

Seriously... how the frak do they make money?
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
Toba - A Development Dump
Post

Re: IRC

#474
Silverware wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Text chat and voice chat isn't a genre. It's a function. There's not a lot of variety you can put in "put word on someone else's screen".
I used both, and honestly don't see the difference (except that discord has a web interface)

False analogies, false analogies everywhere
One function does not a program make.
Teamspeak's total combination of functions make it geared towards organisational communication (Like for EVE) while Discord is more akin to Skype, a service for personal VOIP and some text chat.
If you set up discord correctly, it could be.
It has room visibility based on security settings.
bot capabilities.
Free service. :V

Seriously... how the frak do they make money?
Cosmetics basically. You can read about the paid account here
Image
Post

Re: IRC

#476
Silverware wrote:
BFett wrote:Cosmetics basically. You can read about the paid account here
Ah cool. That's not a bad way of doing it. :D
Yeah. No paywall, just some nice extras. I use Discord since 2015 where it was still in alpha, and I'm so deep in love with it. It has it's flaws, but it's still getting developed. :mrgreen:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
Post

Re: IRC

#478
We had several people campaign to move IRC to Discord, but it just didn't happen, even in part. One guy even made an IRC-Discord bridge bot to move conversations from one place to the other. No effect. :P I don't see it happening, honestly.

That said, Discord is far too bloated for my tastes. It's like the difference between C++ and a VPL.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Image
Image
Post

Re: IRC

#479
Just some fun with Quackthing in IRC:

Code: Select all

[20:10:08] * +Quackthing feels like singing.
[20:10:13] <+Quackthing> Quack! Quaack! Quaaack! Quack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaaack! Quack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaaaack!
[20:10:18] <+Quackthing> Quack! Quack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quaaack! Quack! Quaack! Quaaack!
[20:10:23] <+Quackthing> Quack! Quack! Quack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaaaaack!
[20:10:28] * +Quackthing motions for everyone else to join in.
[20:10:33] <+Quackthing> Quack quack quack quack quaaaack! Quack quack quack quaaaack! Quack quack quack quack quaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaaaack!
[20:10:38] <+Quackthing> Quack quack quack quack quaaaack! Quack quack quack quaaaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quaaaaaaaack!
[20:10:43] <+Quackthing> Quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack!
[20:10:44] * Quackthing was kicked from #limittheory by Bele (Bele)
[20:10:44] * Quackthing (~Quackthin@gamesurge-34eabd58.as43234.net) joins #limittheory
[20:10:44] * ChanServ sets mode: +v Quackthing
[20:10:45] <@Talvieno> lol
[20:10:49] <@Talvieno> rofl
[20:10:51] * +Quackthing realises this isn't going as hoped.
[20:10:53] <+DWMagus> I was in the middle of auth'ing.
[20:10:56] <+Quackthing> Quaack! Quaack! Quaack! Quack! Quaaack! ... Quack! Quaaaaaaaaack!
[20:10:57] <@Talvieno> rofl xD
[20:11:01] <+Quackthing> Quack quack quack quack quack quaaaaaaack! ... Quaack. Quaack. ... Quaack. ... Quack?
[20:11:02] * ChanServ sets mode: +o DWMagus
[20:11:02] * DWMagus (kiwiirc@8db1010e.278b024e.4de5125b.IP4) has quit IRC (Registered)
[20:11:02] * DWMagus (kiwiirc@DWMagus.user.gamesurge) joins #limittheory
[20:11:02] * NuclearFallout.WA.US.GameSurge.net sets mode: +ov DWMagus DWMagus
[20:11:03] <+Cha0zz> We should ban all bots
[20:11:06] * +Quackthing stops singing.
[20:11:10] <@Talvieno> ...rofl
[20:11:13] <+Quackthing> Forgot the words.
[20:11:13] <@Talvieno> this timing is amazing duck
[20:11:35] <@DWMagus> I auth, Cha0zz says to ban bots, and Quackthing stops singing.
[20:11:43] <@Talvieno> xD :D
[20:11:52] * @Talvieno applauds the timing
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)
Post

Re: IRC

#480
Talvieno wrote:We had several people campaign to move IRC to Discord, but it just didn't happen, even in part. One guy even made an IRC-Discord bridge bot to move conversations from one place to the other. No effect. :P I don't see it happening, honestly.

That said, Discord is far too bloated for my tastes. It's like the difference between C++ and a VPL.
If it is moved completely to discord I will literally never be active. I can't use discord.. It's just not... Well it's not this:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Image
I am literally and wholly in love with myself.

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron