Return to “General”

Re: The June, 2014 Devlog Discussion

Zanteogo wrote:To continue the polish idea, if I where Josh I would only focus on fixing and getting the systems that are there now functioning.

I am afraid to say it, but I fear he is falling into the one big downfalls of a one man team.

If you have people over you this happens:

Boss Guy: "Well Josh, what's the plan for this week?"

Josh: "Well Boss, I'm just not happy with the way distant planets look. I mean, they are good, but I think I can do better. Also, have this new idea for space ecology symbiosis and think I am going to try a few things."

Boss Guy: "Josh, your a great worker. Your programing skills and ability to work graphics are amazing. However, I think this month you should really just work on and finish some existing systems. You know that research system you made? It looks great, how about you finish that and the missions, lets get them in a solid state."

I don't want to sound mean of course. It's Josh's game, he can spend the next ten years on it if he really wants. I am sure that "Mid-2014" is pretty much not going to happen now however. I think a realisitic goal at this point would be a beta for the fall and release late 2014 / early 2015.
I think that the advantage of having a forum and monthly updates is that we can help take on the role of the boss to an extent when it comes to encouraging him to work on a feature or change it, just look at the scanner. I'm sure that when the beta comes out that josh will be able to get all of the feedback anyone could want about any aspect of the game, especially because the main attraction of this game is that you can play in whatever way you want so there are a wide variety of play styles represented in this community so I doubt that any one feature being neglected would go unnoticed.

I also think that the relationship between dev and community is much better than the relationship between boss and worker for the most part because we can give suggestions and multiple angles to an issue from the perspective of a player and then josh can take the ones that he sees working best in the game from the perspective of the developer. The beta is probably when we will see the most tweaking and polishing and I think that until people have actually played the game that josh knows best what needs to be worked on and how much in order for it to be functional and complete.

Just my opinion but I feel that until we have played the game in an up to date form then we can't justify our views on how complete a system is over Josh's view as the developer.

Other than that, I had the distinct and unique pleasure of capturing a rather large black racer
For a second I was wondering if he captured some Nascar driver or something :roll: :lol:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

I decided to be crazy and just went out and bought a keyboard (the kind you play music with, not the kind you type on)
:think:
I wonder if he is planning to sing to us..... :D ;) :shh:
I'm pretty sure it's going to provide an excellent release of stress for the month of June :D :clap:
Hmm... :lol:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

JoshParnell wrote:Polish and Playability

I'm getting tired of prefacing everything in my updates with 'this is placeholder' or 'this is dev-ish.' Let's make that go away, shall we? Polish and playability will be a major focus for June as we prepare to take LT out into the world
:thumbup:

Love to hear that!
JoshParnell wrote:PS ~ During the first half of the day (the remainder of my day off), I decided to be crazy and just went out and bought a keyboard (the kind you play music with, not the kind you type on) (with non-KS money of course ~ don't know why I feel the need to clarify that, but so be it)
Use the KS money to go by a BMW if you want. As long as the game get's released in the end with the promised features what difference would it make to anyone?

Edit: Arg! Basic spelling. Feel shame! :(
Last edited by Zanteogo on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Signature

..but it's also about time to turn to the remaining content generating algorithms (ships...stations...). The good news is that this is always easier work. The bad news is that it's less interesting (IMO) :P Alas, not every moment of gamedev can be riveting.
Some of us have been waiting a long time to read the good news about ships... stations...etc. Is this yet another false dawn, Mr Parnell? If this is easier work for you I, for one, will expect some really awesome results. :mrgreen: Will this work include planets?

How riveting is the work on "trade lanes/highways", Josh? Are we likely to see some fruits of your labour anytime soon?

Good to read you are getting back to the plan. :D

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot. Great news about the keyboard, my friend. :thumbup: :clap: :wave:

I think having a content and polish month is a great idea from an architecture point of view, it means Josh finally gets to test out the architecture that he's built, and see if it really does support everything he wants LT to be. If there are parts of the content or the polish that the architecture in it's current form doesn't support we can find out now rather than in the end-stages of development.

Online Now