Return to “General”

Re: What about civilians?

Those aren't really so much civilians as the Board of Directors for the largest factions in a grand corporatocracy :p
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

I'm going to necro this topic a bit, as I have something new to add.

Something new to add
(This will not work on mobile. It should work on phones now. I know it's ugly, but I only made it over the weekend, so it's still a bit rough around the edges.)

Green are miners. They collect ore from asteroids and deposit it at stations.
Blue are traders. They take the ore from the stations and sell it at planets. The planets take the raw materials and turn it into consumer goods and industrial goods. Some of these are purchased by traders to carry to other planets and stations.
Planets require consumer goods to maintain higher levels of population. One unit of consumer goods sustains ten population. Planets can normally have up to twice the population of stations.

Red units represent fighters and other fleet ships. Normally they patrol the border of their territory and perhaps go on small missions within their empire's domain, but occasionally (some ways in to the simulation) they will go on raids of enemy territory to try to conquer their planets and stations. In my simulation, this is done by reducing the population of a planet/station to near zero. Stations are faster to capture, but also possess their own firepower. Reducing happiness is a byproduct of bombardment that vastly accelerates the process.

White are civilians. They travel between planets/stations, caring little about whose empire they belong to, and their arrival raises happiness. They represent ferries, luxury cruises, non-commercial traffic, etc. If happiness is too low on a planet, some members of the population may decide to take the next flight out and deposit themselves elsewhere. Occasionally during orbital bombardment of planets, you'll see a mass evacuation, where dozens of civilian ships flee, searching for new homes, more or less exactly as I described earlier in the thread.

You can hover over planets, stations, and asteroid fields with the mouse for more info. Unfortunately that is currently the extent of interaction. :D

tl;dr: Made a thing. Green miners, blue traders, red shooty guys, white civvies. Phones suck.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:35 am
I'm going to necro this topic a bit, as I have something new to add.
Oh Tal, I knew you would necro this one day. :-)

I'm sure as you recall I wasn't a massive fan of the idea of civilians in general. (though not exactly opposed to the idea)

My underlining issue was is it separated a group of AI from the player, my personal vision, (and I think Josh's too), is to make the player no different from the AI. Adding a group of AI that plays under different rules to me is a step away from this. The only way I could accept this totally would be if somehow the player could become part of the "civilian faction". Not sure why how how this would happen.

If there ever became a population migration mechanic then I suppose it could be something that might be required. Even then, I would argue that the "civilians" should have to hire player and regular AI ships to move their population from planet to planet.

Again, I'm not exactly opposed to the idea either and it certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me in the end.
My Signature

I do indeed remember that, Zanteogo. :D And, it's not too hard, really, to keep them non-separated from the player. Just have special purchasable "cargo" areas that permit you to carry population from one planet to another, let you accept "missions" to take passengers around on trips, and then you're on equal footing. :) It doesn't matter anyway though, really - Josh has said he's not interested in adding civilians.

Damocles - I could add a slider. :D I think that would fix things right up.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:41 pm
It doesn't matter anyway though, really - Josh has said he's not interested in adding civilians.
In some things, wonderboy is simply wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer

Nice Talv...

I should probably post mine as well if there is some interest. Of course it is not remotely as nice as the one of Talv... and unfinished as usual - but similar idea, planets need ressources, when they have to few, prices go up, otherwise it goes down. Merchants search for optimal routes (from a random start each turn right now) and transport goods.
Aim is to see, depending on costs and number of merchants, ow the equilibrium develop. For fun some random fluctuations (good/bad harvest) can be added.

Very neat, CSE... although I'll admit I can't quite tell what's going on very well. :P It would probably help if I understood stock markets better, I'm guessing.

I made a bigger version since my last post (dunno how well it will run on different computers - it runs all right on my laptop, but slow as molasses on my phone, so I've hit some sort of limit somewhere). It also runs a lot slower on firefox for me than chrome... but that's partly because chrome utilizes my nvidia graphics card while firefox doesn't.

http://talvieno.com/sims/civiliansim8.html

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:10 am
I made a bigger version since my last post (dunno how well it will run on different computers - it runs all right on my laptop, but slow as molasses on my phone, so I've hit some sort of limit somewhere). It also runs a lot slower on firefox for me than chrome... but that's partly because chrome utilizes my nvidia graphics card while firefox doesn't.

Nice!

Any reason why the maximum rate is capped at 800%?

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:10 am
Very neat, CSE... although I'll admit I can't quite tell what's going on very well. :P It would probably help if I understood stock markets better, I'm guessing.

Ok, that is fun to watch! Seeing players attack one another only to have another player suddenly attack them, see an empire go from being the biggest to the smallest in 2 years. Seeing 3 different players attack the same planet at the same time.
2 things of note, I didn't see any green fighters coming to stop the red fighters from taking a green planet, they just did their thing (nvm, i did now). also, the civilians leaving a world seem to go in random places, including the attacking empire, which seems odd.

If you could make it where you could select a faction by clicking a planet or station, and then that of another faction to make the first attack the second, that would be super cool, because they never seem to take out the last posession, which builds up and then gets back in the fight
Imagination Fertilizer

Hyperion wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:31 pm
also, the civilians leaving a world seem to go in random places, including the attacking empire, which seems odd.
Yes, that's actually a bug I need to fix. :P They're trying to evacuate to places where they would be the most likely to survive, and that aren't too far away. Unfortunately these are often within the attacking empire's borders. :lol: Good eye there.
Hyperion wrote:If you could make it where you could select a faction by clicking a planet or station, and then that of another faction to make the first attack the second, that would be super cool, because they never seem to take out the last posession, which builds up and then gets back in the fight
Yes, that was by design. Very good eye there, Hyper. :P You're catching a lot of little things I didn't expect people to notice. They actually aren't allowed to take out the last possession... mostly because... well, I feel a bit sad to see a color disappear completely. :oops: I can easily remove that for you, though. It's as simple as changing a variable.

:)
Talvieno wrote: They actually aren't allowed to take out the last possession... mostly because... well, I feel a bit sad to see a color disappear completely.
Not a fan of global domination? :shifty:
Imagination Fertilizer

Mostly, it just makes the sim a bit boring. :P Also yes, I do feel sad when a color vanishes completely (save for a few miners and transports, typically). Here you go, Hyper, a version that fixes two of your problems. edit: nope, seems to have created a new bug.

Here, Hyper. Now they can dominate. May take them a while though.

edit: Here's proof that things get conquered now:
Spoiler:      SHOW
The white civilization is completely gone in the above image. Hooray!

Online Now