Return to “General”

Re: High speed travel

Ownez wrote:Duh, it was just a thought anyway, it wont affect gameplay in any way. I would still like to see it as a feature you can enable or not
That is actually a great idea. Have a radio button that allows you to enable different physics concepts that only effect visuals. Good spot Ownez i hope someone is listening! :)

I for one am a huge fan of the fluid medium universe. I mean, theoretically, in infinite universes, there has to be at least an infinite number of parallel universes that are full of "stuff" instead of void. Right? :D

I actually hope that Josh plays with it some in the game lore. Perhaps wormholes are explained as being whirlpools in the Aether, or the intra-system highways, we saw in the early dev videos are massive naturally occurring currents in the infinite ocean of space! Space kraken anyone?

So, What happens if you go too fast within a fluidic medium? Friction with the fluid heats your craft beyond the tolerances of any metal, plastic, glass, what have you; and after a time, your ship explodes in a plum of molten slag and debris! :o

I would love to see this fluid universe really come to life in ways such as tearing the wings of fighters if they push it too hard and try to pull too many g's! Or capital ships actually shaking apart from traveling too fast for too long (represented for gameplay purposes as slow degrade of systems, hull integrity?).

Perhaps this Aether can silence the qualms some seem to have with shock waves in space ;)
The victorious strategist only seeks battle
After the victory has been won
Whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights
And afterwards looks for victory

-Sun Tzu

HoratioScumdog wrote:I for one am a huge fan of the fluid medium universe. I mean, theoretically, in infinite universes, there has to be at least an infinite number of parallel universes that are full of "stuff" instead of void. Right? :D
Yeah but Species 8472 killed everything else in it, didn't they?

Rather than imagine space as being fluidic, I would rather just imagine that spaceships use a propulsion technology that makes them act as if they're moving through fluid (with justification for why they favour such technology over conventional thrusters, ofc.).
HoratioScumdog wrote:Perhaps this Aether can silence the qualms some seem to have with shock waves in space ;)
Are there going to be any shockwaves in LT?

ThymineC wrote:
HoratioScumdog wrote:I for one am a huge fan of the fluid medium universe. I mean, theoretically, in infinite universes, there has to be at least an infinite number of parallel universes that are full of "stuff" instead of void. Right? :D
Yeah but Species 8472 killed everything else in it, didn't they?

Rather than imagine space as being fluidic, I would rather just imagine that spaceships use a propulsion technology that makes them act as if they're moving through fluid (with justification for why they favour such technology over conventional thrusters, ofc.).

Hey I like this too :)
HoratioScumdog wrote:Perhaps this Aether can silence the qualms some seem to have with shock waves in space ;)
Are there going to be any shockwaves in LT?
JoshParnell wrote:Missiles (will) have a blast radius. They are the only weapon planned to have that effect (mines would also be considered, but mines are not slated as a release feature).

(And keep in mind that torpedoes & missiles are unified from the game's perspective)

Granted, the usefulness of AOE at these scales is a different question. But it will exist :)
Judging from this I would say to some extent yes. Now I just need to convince josh of proximity fuses for Battleship guns :twisted:

-Sun Tzu

HoratioScumdog wrote:Judging from this I would say to some extent yes. Now I just need to convince josh of proximity fuses for Battleship guns :twisted:
Just because missiles do AOE damage does not mean they have a shockwave. It could be a burst of radiation or shrapnel or possibly even something more futuristic that that.

ThymineC wrote:
HoratioScumdog wrote:Judging from this I would say to some extent yes. Now I just need to convince josh of proximity fuses for Battleship guns :twisted:
Just because missiles do AOE damage does not mean they have a shockwave. It could be a burst of radiation or shrapnel or possibly even something more futuristic that that.
Sure, that works too

-Sun Tzu

ThymineC wrote:Just because missiles do AOE damage does not mean they have a shockwave. It could be a burst of radiation or shrapnel or possibly even something more futuristic that that.
However, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but you call it something else, people are still going to associate it as a shockwave. :|

I don't see any point of saying "Oh, that thing you see? It's shrapnel, not a shockwave" will just get into arguments of semantics. :|
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

ThymineC wrote:
Gazz wrote:A shockwave is just a lot of really really small molecules of shrapnel. =P
Mind blown.
With a shockwave, at that!
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Naxtor wrote:That is actually a great idea. Have a radio button that allows you to enable different physics concepts that only effect visuals. Good spot Ownez i hope someone is listening! :)
It would probably be better to be able to have that be available as a modding option, rather than in-built into the game.
"The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time." —Tom Cargill

Online Now