Return to “General”

AOE?

Will there be some sort of AOE damage from a big enough explosion? Because firing a missile the size of a dreadnought is probably going to blow up a lot more then one ship. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!
Re: AOE?

I sincerely hope there won't be shock waves in space... I would love to see Shrapnel missiles as well as nukes to paralyze with an EMP and then go in for the kill.

Some people might disagree though and want there to be air in space.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:I sincerely hope there won't be shock waves in space... I would love to see Shrapnel missiles as well as nukes to paralyze with an EMP and then go in for the kill.

Some people might disagree though and want there to be air in space.
I don't want air in space. I want ship and missile casing to go everywhere, the EMP from a laser as it annihilates my enemies to short out surrounding electronics (if the laser is big enough), I want to start a massive chain reaction with a big enough boom and no one willl stop me. :twisted:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

EMP? From an optical-frequency laser?
My suspension of disbelief winces.

Efen tough lasers are just self-propagating crossed electrical and magnetic fields, they wont induce anything like an EMP.

With the exception of microwave lasers (which would need power levels that you can as well use it as a direct weapon) and gamma ray lasers, but grasers only cause emp like effects because they ionise the atoms of the material hit.

So while you may have EMP like effects on your ship if you get hit, you certainly wont get any effects if you are just near a beam as it passes by.

Its also likely that any EMP effect propagating outwards from a hit point would be absorbed by the shielding that you have to install regardless of military actions, just to enable your spacecraft to survive the harged particle hell that solar winds are

EMP lasers? Why not just make supernova bullets?...

Actually... we should totally have supernova bullets... as a mod.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

what about biomissiles?
Image They could do bonus dmg against peacefull npcs, you know because they have to argue on the internet about cats being used as weapons and cant fight you anymore.

btt
Debris! small super fast pieces of metal that fly everywhere and mess up stuff (for battelship cruisers and everything above?)

Are there any plans on adding er ... shrapnell cannon things for fighter defense? Or a big barrage of small explosive paylouds with short range?
Last edited by HappyGhecko on Mon May 26, 2014 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
More people want exploding kittens than exploding ships. Somehow, this makes me happy.
- credits go to dwmagus

Cornflakes_91 wrote: on your proposal: that would more likely be an napalm-particle beam and would not work very well in vacuum :lol:
Nonsense. My Napalm-Laser is a projectile weapon.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

This might be a good place to use reality as a starting point.

Real-world things that can produce AoE effects in space are basically devices that either emit lots of nasty high-energy particles, or that radiate very strongly at different frequencies of the electromagnetic spectrum, or that do various science-fictiony (i.e., magical) things at the high end of the frequency spectrum Josh has suggested for LT:
  • Super-shrapnel mines [kinetic particle burst at target location]
  • High-energy particle (radiation) generators [kills people]
  • EMP generators [overloads non-scanner electronics]
  • Frequency jammers (including visual bursts) [temporarily blinds scanners]
  • Yottahertz harmonic scramblers [briefly dissipate ship shields (or cloaks)]
  • Permittivity destabilizer [warps physical space in target area]
Others?

Flatfingers wrote:
  • Permittivity destabilizer [warps physical space in target area]
[Engineering]

Changes speed of light in target area,

changes efficiency of capacitors (higher E0 increases capacity and vice versa).
This causes electronics to malfunction massively, disables communications equipment, sensors deliver wrong directions and loose sensibility.
  • permeability destabilizer
    Changes speed of light in target area, counters c change of the permittivity destabiliser if calibrated correctly.
    Changes efficiency of railguns, fusion engines.
    (Higher u0 increases power and vice versa)
    Disables communications equipment.
    Causes sensors to malfunction similary to permittivity destabiliser
Changes in c (and by extension everything else...)

Follow c= 1/sqrt(u0*E0)

Most likely class V+ civilsation (on the kardashev scale), as this is toying with the fundamental constants of space ^^

[/engineering]

Online Now