Return to “General”

Post

Re: The Limit Theory Trailer

#16
Honestly, I think there should be a cinematic trailer AND a Gameplay Trailer - One to show off the large-scale AWESOME, the other to showcase the smaller details that make it worth buying, like the economy or nation-state AI.

On that note, I am of the opinion that we need a three minute video just showing off the UI. That alone would leave me in awe (just like that first intro of it way back when did).

Back into the Realm of This Thread:

The trailer needs -

A hook to intrigue people, and a line to reel them in.
The hook can be anything from a question ("What would you do in a Universe with no Limits?") to a showcase (*ooooh a massive fleet soaring past a planet in exquisite graphics*). It needs to be what is AWESOME about the game - in about 13 seconds (avg. web user attention span).

The line needs to either show users the cool stuff (glimpses of the UI, diving into a jumphole before a fadeout) or show users the details. You know what I mean. Hundreds of ships at your command. Massive amounts of trade BONANZA That awesome screenshot from the last update video, showing all those AI doing their thing.

But like I said - I still think two videos would be better. If it were one, this is how I would do it.
Post

Re: The Limit Theory Trailer

#17
I'd like to see a pure in game trailer please.

Start by showing a ship mining ore from an asteroid, then from the pilot's perspective. (Include system name on HUD) (5 seconds)

Ship starts turning away and heads to a space station. (5 seconds)

Show the trading terminal graphs in both complex and simple mode. (10-15 seconds)

Show a multiple sector star map (5 seconds)

Show faction ownership (5 to 10 seconds)

Show a faction warfare scene from first person and then include the command interface. (10-15 seconds)

Nodal data editor interface (5 seconds)

Branding, URL, Special Thanks, Awards/Comments (15 seconds)
Image
Post

Re: The Limit Theory Trailer

#18
Mered4 wrote:Honestly, I think there should be a cinematic trailer AND a Gameplay Trailer - One to show off the large-scale AWESOME, the other to showcase the smaller details that make it worth buying, like the economy or nation-state AI.

On that note, I am of the opinion that we need a three minute video just showing off the UI.
The point I was trying to make is, it's completely possible to fit everything into a single three-minute trailer, and it's presumptuous (and honestly a bit arrogant) to assume you can get anyone to watch all the trailers before you get them interested. What it should do is snag their interest - that's the whole purpose of a trailer. After they're interested, they can look at the other videos all they want. Josh understood this - if you look, there's both a kickstarter trailer, and a kickstarter extended trailer, just for those who were hooked and wanted more. The example I gave gives you a full thirty seconds to do absolutely anything you please (onscreen text: "FROM HUMBLE BEGINNINGS" to onscreen text "TO LIMITLESS WEALTH" would be one option of what you could cram in at the start of my example, and you'd still have time to show off as much UI as you like.).

Oh, and, from the OP:
For simplicity and impact, let's say Josh can release only one Official Limit Theory Gameplay Trailer.
;)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Image
Image
Post

Re: The Limit Theory Trailer

#19
I've had a bit of a think today, and to keep this conversation going I'd like to suggest one possibility for the primary Limit Theory trailer.

This one would run for about one minute and thirty seconds. I assume that it would be accompanied by an appropriately space-like score with a five-second pause where indicated.

(Note: I've formatted this in a vaguely screenplay-like style because I think that structure is helpful for understanding the trailer I'm imagining in my head. But I don't do this for a living, so no need to ding me if I failed to follow some formatting rule used by the pros.)

Please bear in mind that this is just an idea meant to suggest one direction the trailer might go. I welcome constructive feedback, and I'd be very happy to see other suggestions that capture what's great about Limit Theory in other ways that would excite potential players.

Code: Select all

THE INKY BLACKNESS OF SPACE, WITH APPROPRIATE MUSIC

                      NARRATOR
           In the beginning, there was a theory believed by many game developers that people would only ever want to do one thing in a game.

           Many games based on this theory were very good, but then someone proposed a different theory.

FADE IN:

CLOSE-UP OF STAR IN BLUE STAR SYSTEM

                                                                   SLOWLY PULL BACK TO:

MEDIUM VIEW OF BLUE STAR SYSTEM WITH AN EARTH-LIKE PLANET

Numerous small-to-medium-sized NPC ships engaged in commerce swarm the planet and a nearby space station.

                      NARRATOR
           What if this limit on what you could do, on who you could be, wasn't necessary?

                                                                   CONTINUE SLOW PULL BACK TO:

DISTANT VIEW OF BLUE STAR SYSTEM WITH NODE MAP OVERLAID

                      NARRATOR
           What would happen if you built a game based on a different theory, a theory of removing limits?

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

WHITE STAR SYSTEM WITH FREQUENCY MAP OVERLAID, THEN RESEARCH NODE TREE

                      NARRATOR
           You could explore the depths of space and the frontiers of knowledge.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

GREEN STAR SYSTEM WITH SHIP COLLECTING ORE FROM NORMAL ASTEROIDS, THEN ICE ASTEROID FIELD

                      NARRATOR
           You could locate and gather riches from the remains of shattered planets.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

BLUE STAR SYSTEM WITH NEARBY PLANET, WITH MARKET SCREENS OVERLAID

                      NARRATOR
           You could seek wealth from supplying the needs of many worlds.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

PURPLE STAR SYSTEM WITH PIRATES ATTACKING A MERCHANT CONVOY

                      NARRATOR
           You could exploit the weak, taking what they have for your own.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

GOLD STAR SYSTEM WITH NUMEROUS FIGHTERS ATTACKING A SMALL CAP SHIP

                      NARRATOR
           You could protect the weak, expertly defending the universe.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

RED STAR SYSTEM WITH MANY DIFFERENT-SIZED SHIPS ENTERING FROM A JUMP HOLE

                      NARRATOR
           You could command vast fleets, bringing far-flung worlds under your authority.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

MONTAGE OF OTHER VISUALLY-INTERESTING GAMEPLAY FEATURES

                      NARRATOR
           A theory based on removing limits would let you do all of these things.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

BLACKNESS AGAIN

MUSIC PAUSES

                      NARRATOR
           That game exists.

MUSIC RESUMES QUIETLY

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

BLUE STAR SYSTEM WITH STAR ECLIPSED BY DARK SIDE OF VERY CLOSE EARTH-LIKE PLANET

                      NARRATOR
           Welcome to the game that's designed to let you be who you want to be.

                                                                   SLOWLY PULL BACK TO:

BLUE STAR SYSTEM WITH EARTH-LIKE PLANET

                      NARRATOR
           Welcome to the game based on the theory that you set your own limits.

                                                                   CONTINUE SLOW PULL BACK TO:

ONE HIGH-POLY CAP SHIP THAT ECLIPSES THE BLUE STAR TO SHOW OCCLUSION/LIGHTING EFFECTS

                      NARRATOR
           Welcome... to Limit Theory.

The cap ship engages its jump drive to showcase that graphic effect, leaving behind the planet floating in space.

When the flash of the ship jumping appears, display the title "LIMIT THEORY" for five seconds.

FADE OUT
Post

Re: The Limit Theory Trailer

#20
Flatfingers wrote:I've had a bit of a think today, and to keep this conversation going I'd like to suggest one possibility for the primary Limit Theory trailer.

This one would run for about one minute and thirty seconds. I assume that it would be accompanied by an appropriately space-like score with a five-second pause where indicated.

(Note: I've formatted this in a vaguely screenplay-like style because I think that structure is helpful for understanding the trailer I'm imagining in my head. But I don't do this for a living, so no need to ding me if I failed to follow some formatting rule used by the pros.)

Please bear in mind that this is just an idea meant to suggest one direction the trailer might go. I welcome constructive feedback, and I'd be very happy to see other suggestions that capture what's great about Limit Theory in other ways that would excite potential players.

Code: Select all

THE INKY BLACKNESS OF SPACE, WITH APPROPRIATE MUSIC

                      NARRATOR
           In the beginning, there was a theory believed by many game developers that people would only ever want to do one thing in a game.

           Many games based on this theory were very good, but then someone proposed a different theory.

FADE IN:

CLOSE-UP OF STAR IN BLUE STAR SYSTEM

                                                                   SLOWLY PULL BACK TO:

MEDIUM VIEW OF BLUE STAR SYSTEM WITH AN EARTH-LIKE PLANET

Numerous small-to-medium-sized NPC ships engaged in commerce swarm the planet and a nearby space station.

                      NARRATOR
           What if this limit on what you could do, on who you could be, wasn't necessary?

                                                                   CONTINUE SLOW PULL BACK TO:

DISTANT VIEW OF BLUE STAR SYSTEM WITH NODE MAP OVERLAID

                      NARRATOR
           What would happen if you built a game based on a different theory, a theory of removing limits?

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

WHITE STAR SYSTEM WITH FREQUENCY MAP OVERLAID, THEN RESEARCH NODE TREE

                      NARRATOR
           You could explore the depths of space and the frontiers of knowledge.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

GREEN STAR SYSTEM WITH SHIP COLLECTING ORE FROM NORMAL ASTEROIDS, THEN ICE ASTEROID FIELD

                      NARRATOR
           You could locate and gather riches from the remains of shattered planets.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

BLUE STAR SYSTEM WITH NEARBY PLANET, WITH MARKET SCREENS OVERLAID

                      NARRATOR
           You could seek wealth from supplying the needs of many worlds.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

PURPLE STAR SYSTEM WITH PIRATES ATTACKING A MERCHANT CONVOY

                      NARRATOR
           You could exploit the weak, taking what they have for your own.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

GOLD STAR SYSTEM WITH NUMEROUS FIGHTERS ATTACKING A SMALL CAP SHIP

                      NARRATOR
           You could protect the weak, expertly defending the universe.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

RED STAR SYSTEM WITH MANY DIFFERENT-SIZED SHIPS ENTERING FROM A JUMP HOLE

                      NARRATOR
           You could command vast fleets, bringing far-flung worlds under your authority.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

MONTAGE OF OTHER VISUALLY-INTERESTING GAMEPLAY FEATURES

                      NARRATOR
           A theory based on removing limits would let you do all of these things.

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

BLACKNESS AGAIN

MUSIC PAUSES

                      NARRATOR
           That game exists.

MUSIC RESUMES QUIETLY

                                                                   DISSOLVE TO:

BLUE STAR SYSTEM WITH STAR ECLIPSED BY DARK SIDE OF VERY CLOSE EARTH-LIKE PLANET

                      NARRATOR
           Welcome to the game that's designed to let you be who you want to be.

                                                                   SLOWLY PULL BACK TO:

BLUE STAR SYSTEM WITH EARTH-LIKE PLANET

                      NARRATOR
           Welcome to the game based on the theory that you set your own limits.

                                                                   CONTINUE SLOW PULL BACK TO:

ONE HIGH-POLY CAP SHIP THAT ECLIPSES THE BLUE STAR TO SHOW OCCLUSION/LIGHTING EFFECTS

                      NARRATOR
           Welcome... to Limit Theory.

The cap ship engages its jump drive to showcase that graphic effect, leaving behind the planet floating in space.

When the flash of the ship jumping appears, display the title "LIMIT THEORY" for five seconds.

FADE OUT
Do it.

Thats just amazings - enough detail to keep you hooked, not too much to drive someone away who's kinda new to games like this, and enough awesome thrown in to satisfy everyone.

And the continuous 'storyline' feel will keep viewers wanting more at the end. Well written.
Post

Re: The Limit Theory Trailer

#21
I feel the trailer might also reflect the nodal nature of the game.

For example:

Begins viewing ship in the mining process. Zoomed on beam, the mining module. Highlights mining laser (don't remember Josh's name for them), gives specs. "Mounted on [ship]"

Zooms back one level. ow viewing entire ship. Highlights ship, gives specs. "Part of [support and logistics branch]"

Zooms back one level father, to whole asteroid/planet cluster. Highlights vessels in support/logistics branch. Describes make-up of the fleet. "Part of [armada]"

Zooms back to system. Highlights all vessels in the armada. Describes whole fleet's make-up. "Part of [faction]"

zooms back to local cluster map. Describes attributes of the faction. "Member of [alliance]"

zooms back to large level strategic map. Describes the alliance. "Participatory in [war]"

Zooms back in, shows wreck of single fighter vessel drifting by. Describes war in casualty/cost numbers.
They shall call me, Draglide! The thread killer!
Post

Re: The Limit Theory Trailer

#23
Here is my Idea.
The music I think would be best would be somewhat similar to this

Code: Select all

AN ASTEROID FIELD, WITH A NEBULA BACKGROUND, APPROPRIATE MUSIC

2 SEC; TEXT FADES IN: Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
.5 SEC; TEXT FADES OUT
SIMULTANEOUSLY, 2 SEC; A SMALL SHIP SHOOTS RIGHT OVER THE CAMERA AND BEGINS TO FADE INTO THE VANISHING POINT

5 SEC; TRACKING SHOT OF SHIP FROM SIDE-ANGLE IN DIRECTION OF STAR, SHIP HAS RECOGNIZABLE FACTION EMBLEM, ASTEROIDS SHOOT BY AND MOMENTARILY  ECLIPSE SUN TO SHOW LIGHTING.

3 SEC; CAMERA PULLS AWAY AND PANS DOWNWARD TO REVEAL A LARGE PLANET.

CUT TO:
10 SEC; UI/HUD/COCKPIT SHOT. THE SHIP IS SCOUTING THE PLANET. ALONG WITH SCANNER, ONE INTERFACE WITH THE HOLOGRAM OF THE PLANET BLINKS GREEN: "VIRGIN PLANET". USER INTERFACE POPS UP: "REPORT DISCOVERY TO SUPERIORS?" INTERFACE GOES GREEN, CONFIRMING REPORT. 

DISSOLVE TO:
3 SEC; ON ANOTHER HUD (DISTINGUISHED BY DIFFERENT COLOR/WORKSPACE/NEBULA BACKGROUND), A STATION TAKES PROMINENCE ON SCREEN, SAME FACTION EMBLEM ON SCREEN. MESSAGE POPS UP: "VIRGIN PLANET DISCOVERED, SINBAD SYSTEM!"
5 SEC; HUD SWITCHES TO STRATEGIC WORKSPACE. ASSETS ARE SELECTED, AND NEW ORDERS ARE SENT OUT.

DISSOLVE TO:
4 SEC; IN ORIGINAL SYSTEM, A CONVOY OF SHIPS START POURING THROUGH A WORMHOLE.

DISSOLVE TO:
4 SEC; PANNING SHOT OF AN ORBITAL STATION OVER THE PLANET, DOZENS OF SHIPS ARE FLYING ABOUT.

DISSOLVE TO:
12 SEC;THIRD HUD, SAME FACTION EMBLEM. COMMANDS ARE BEING SENT OUT. ON THE HOLOGRAPHIC DISPLAY, SHIPS ARE MINING ASTEROIDS, CONSTRUCTING ACCELERATION LANES, JUMP GATE, PLANETARY CONSTRUCTION, ETC.
5 SEC; HUD SWITCHES TO ADVANCED MARKETPLACE WORKSPACE, PRICES ARE LOW, A BUY ORDER IS PUT OUT.
3 SEC; ALERT POPS UP, ON THE HOLOGRAPHIC MAP, A SHIP IS BLINKING RED IN THE ASTEROID FIELD. MUSIC GROWS IN INTENSITY.

CUT TO:
3 SEC; PIRATES ATTACKING MINING SHIP IN ASTEROIDS.

CUT TO:
3 SEC; TRACKING SHOT OF FIGHTER SQUADRON FLYING IN FORMATION THROUGH ASTEROIDS.
4 SEC; CAMERA DROPS TRACKING, BUT FOLLOWS THEM AS THEY BEGIN TO ENGAGE PIRATES.

CUT TO:
6 SEC; DOGFIGHT.

CUT TO:
6 SEC; FIGHTER HUD, TRACKING BOX GETS LOCK ON PIRATE. WEAPONS FIRE. PIRATE SHIP EXPLODES.
3 SEC; PIRATES FLEE SYSTEM, FIGHTERS DO NOT PURSUE.

DISSOLVE TO:
4 SEC; DAMAGED PIRATE SHIPS APPROACH DIFFERENT STATION.

CUT TO:
8 SEC; IN ANOTHER HUD, PIRATES SELL INFORMATION ON SYSTEM THEY WERE ROUTED FROM TO SOMEONE ON THIS STATION. OTHER PERSON IDENTIFIED BY NEW FACTION EMBLEM.

CUT TO:
5 SEC; AS PIRATES PULL OUT OF STATION, SHIP WITH NEW EMBLEM FIRES FULL BATTERY ON THEM, DESTROYING THEM.

DISSOLVE TO:
5 SEC; HUD WITH SECOND EMBLEM SHOWS RESEARCH TREE HEAVILY SPECIALIZED IN MILITARY TECHNOLOGY. NEW TECHNOLOGY RESEARCHED.
5 SEC; HUD SWITCHES TO MANUFACTURING WORKSPACE. THE PRODUCTION OF MANY NEW WEAPONS/SHIPS BEGINS.

DISSOLVE TO:
8 SEC; IN ORIGINAL SYSTEM, DOZENS OF BATTLESHIPS AND CARRIERS START POURING THROUGH A WORMHOLE, BEARING THE SECOND EMBLEM.

CUT TO:
4 SEC; ORBITAL STATION HUD: FLOOD OF ALERTS ARE POPPING UP, SMALL RED DOTS ARE POURING OUT OF A WORMHOLE AT THE FAR EDGE OF THE SYSTEM.

CUT TO:
~30 SEC; LARGE SPACE BATTLE, FIGHTERS, FRIGATES, BATTLESHIPS, CARRIERS. ATTACK DRONES, SEEKER MISSILES, BEAM WEAPONS CRISSCROSS THE SKY. MUSIC IS VERY INTENSE; HEAVY PERCUSSION OR CHORAL.

DISSOLVE TO:
3 SEC; BLACKNESS WITH LOGO AND "LIMIT THEORY"

DISSOLVE TO:
10 SEC; CLOSE-UP OF SHIP WITH ORIGINAL EMBLEM. THE CAMERA SLOWLY PULLS BACK TO REVEAL IT IS ONLY A FRAGMENT OF A SHIP IN A MASSIVE DEBRIS FIELD. SOME DEBRIS OCCLUDES THE SUN. THE SHIP PIECE IS GRABBED AND HARVESTED BY A SCAVENGER.

DISSOLVE TO:
4 SEC; BLACKNESS WITH TEXT: "THE ONLY LIMITS ARE YOUR OWN"

TOTAL TIME: 2:50
Image
The conquest of Nature is to be achieved through Number and Measure.
It's better to have questions you can't answer than answers you can't question.

Imagination Fertilizer
Post

Re: The Limit Theory Trailer

#24
Hyperion wrote:Here is my Idea.
The music I think would be best would be somewhat similar to this

Code: Select all

AN ASTEROID FIELD, WITH A NEBULA BACKGROUND, APPROPRIATE MUSIC

2 SEC; TEXT FADES IN: Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
.5 SEC; TEXT FADES OUT
SIMULTANEOUSLY, 2 SEC; A SMALL SHIP SHOOTS RIGHT OVER THE CAMERA AND BEGINS TO FADE INTO THE VANISHING POINT

5 SEC; TRACKING SHOT OF SHIP FROM SIDE-ANGLE IN DIRECTION OF STAR, SHIP HAS RECOGNIZABLE FACTION EMBLEM, ASTEROIDS SHOOT BY AND MOMENTARILY  ECLIPSE SUN TO SHOW LIGHTING.

3 SEC; CAMERA PULLS AWAY AND PANS DOWNWARD TO REVEAL A LARGE PLANET.

CUT TO:
10 SEC; UI/HUD/COCKPIT SHOT. THE SHIP IS SCOUTING THE PLANET. ALONG WITH SCANNER, ONE INTERFACE WITH THE HOLOGRAM OF THE PLANET BLINKS GREEN: "VIRGIN PLANET". USER INTERFACE POPS UP: "REPORT DISCOVERY TO SUPERIORS?" INTERFACE GOES GREEN, CONFIRMING REPORT. 

DISSOLVE TO:
3 SEC; ON ANOTHER HUD (DISTINGUISHED BY DIFFERENT COLOR/WORKSPACE/NEBULA BACKGROUND), A STATION TAKES PROMINENCE ON SCREEN, SAME FACTION EMBLEM ON SCREEN. MESSAGE POPS UP: "VIRGIN PLANET DISCOVERED, SINBAD SYSTEM!"
5 SEC; HUD SWITCHES TO STRATEGIC WORKSPACE. ASSETS ARE SELECTED, AND NEW ORDERS ARE SENT OUT.

DISSOLVE TO:
4 SEC; IN ORIGINAL SYSTEM, A CONVOY OF SHIPS START POURING THROUGH A WORMHOLE.

DISSOLVE TO:
4 SEC; PANNING SHOT OF AN ORBITAL STATION OVER THE PLANET, DOZENS OF SHIPS ARE FLYING ABOUT.

DISSOLVE TO:
12 SEC;THIRD HUD, SAME FACTION EMBLEM. COMMANDS ARE BEING SENT OUT. ON THE HOLOGRAPHIC DISPLAY, SHIPS ARE MINING ASTEROIDS, CONSTRUCTING ACCELERATION LANES, JUMP GATE, PLANETARY CONSTRUCTION, ETC.
5 SEC; HUD SWITCHES TO ADVANCED MARKETPLACE WORKSPACE, PRICES ARE LOW, A BUY ORDER IS PUT OUT.
3 SEC; ALERT POPS UP, ON THE HOLOGRAPHIC MAP, A SHIP IS BLINKING RED IN THE ASTEROID FIELD. MUSIC GROWS IN INTENSITY.

CUT TO:
3 SEC; PIRATES ATTACKING MINING SHIP IN ASTEROIDS.

CUT TO:
3 SEC; TRACKING SHOT OF FIGHTER SQUADRON FLYING IN FORMATION THROUGH ASTEROIDS.
4 SEC; CAMERA DROPS TRACKING, BUT FOLLOWS THEM AS THEY BEGIN TO ENGAGE PIRATES.

CUT TO:
6 SEC; DOGFIGHT.

CUT TO:
6 SEC; FIGHTER HUD, TRACKING BOX GETS LOCK ON PIRATE. WEAPONS FIRE. PIRATE SHIP EXPLODES.
3 SEC; PIRATES FLEE SYSTEM, FIGHTERS DO NOT PURSUE.

DISSOLVE TO:
4 SEC; DAMAGED PIRATE SHIPS APPROACH DIFFERENT STATION.

CUT TO:
8 SEC; IN ANOTHER HUD, PIRATES SELL INFORMATION ON SYSTEM THEY WERE ROUTED FROM TO SOMEONE ON THIS STATION. OTHER PERSON IDENTIFIED BY NEW FACTION EMBLEM.

CUT TO:
5 SEC; AS PIRATES PULL OUT OF STATION, SHIP WITH NEW EMBLEM FIRES FULL BATTERY ON THEM, DESTROYING THEM.

DISSOLVE TO:
5 SEC; HUD WITH SECOND EMBLEM SHOWS RESEARCH TREE HEAVILY SPECIALIZED IN MILITARY TECHNOLOGY. NEW TECHNOLOGY RESEARCHED.
5 SEC; HUD SWITCHES TO MANUFACTURING WORKSPACE. THE PRODUCTION OF MANY NEW WEAPONS/SHIPS BEGINS.

DISSOLVE TO:
8 SEC; IN ORIGINAL SYSTEM, DOZENS OF BATTLESHIPS AND CARRIERS START POURING THROUGH A WORMHOLE, BEARING THE SECOND EMBLEM.

CUT TO:
4 SEC; ORBITAL STATION HUD: FLOOD OF ALERTS ARE POPPING UP, SMALL RED DOTS ARE POURING OUT OF A WORMHOLE AT THE FAR EDGE OF THE SYSTEM.

CUT TO:
~30 SEC; LARGE SPACE BATTLE, FIGHTERS, FRIGATES, BATTLESHIPS, CARRIERS. ATTACK DRONES, SEEKER MISSILES, BEAM WEAPONS CRISSCROSS THE SKY. MUSIC IS VERY INTENSE; HEAVY PERCUSSION OR CHORAL.

DISSOLVE TO:
3 SEC; BLACKNESS WITH LOGO AND "LIMIT THEORY"

DISSOLVE TO:
10 SEC; CLOSE-UP OF SHIP WITH ORIGINAL EMBLEM. THE CAMERA SLOWLY PULLS BACK TO REVEAL IT IS ONLY A FRAGMENT OF A SHIP IN A MASSIVE DEBRIS FIELD. SOME DEBRIS OCCLUDES THE SUN. THE SHIP PIECE IS GRABBED AND HARVESTED BY A SCAVENGER.

DISSOLVE TO:
4 SEC; BLACKNESS WITH TEXT: "THE ONLY LIMITS ARE YOUR OWN"

TOTAL TIME: 2:50
This is pretty cool, but I'd rather it didn't include the Carl Sagan quotation at the start.

I love the Tron: Legacy soundtrack too.
Post

Re: The Limit Theory Trailer

#25
It definitely tells a story! One with an exciting ending, too.

I suspect that watching this trailer would have potential players saying to themselves the personal equivalent of, "Holy Toledo, I can actually do all that in this game?!" It's an excellent overview of LT from the perspective of its likely mechanics.

One note is that I'm not sure whether viewers, who haven't seen any of the update videos, will necessarily know what everything they're seeing means. Things like scanning and mining, for example, might need either some voiceover explanation, or for the in-game UI to be a little more obvious about what's happening. (That last is not a criticism; I know the final UI is not in place yet.)

I also agree with not using Carl Sagan to sell a game without his permission. ;) An alternative might be to modify his comment into a more LT-specific form, and simply cite it with a made-up name, like "Group-Captain Narthan Hadlor".

Finally, although I assume the tagline was placed at the end in an ironic reference to the fate of the ship being shown, it might be better if the last text to be displayed is the name of the game. That way it's fresh in the minds of potential purchasers when the video ends.

A completely reasonable entry into this challenge, though! So who's next?
Post

Re: The Limit Theory Trailer

#26
With a game so complex, varied and with many possibilities, maybe a note should be taken from the X series of game trailers, where there's one trailer for each of the four main game elements. The change would be however, to create four different pilot stories and have them lived out, cut into snippets and narrated, each obviously ending differently at a decision point and then iterating, "this is just one possibility amongst thousands you could live out. You decide the next move."

That's just my two cents, since diversity in player-created, action-driven stories are a major game-play entity in having LT's level of freedom, :). It'd also make for a great community project, to get everyone to write possible scripts with a chance of having their's one of the official trailer stories. I love community engagement, haha.
Post

Re: The Limit Theory Trailer

#28
This project was founded on the vision of a single person.

That vision was effectively pitched in a fundraiser campaign.

Color me impractical and maybe even quixotic but for such a personal endeavor shouldn't conveying the excitement and urgency of the original vision take precedence over a slick sales pitch?
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.
Post

Re: The Limit Theory Trailer

#30
Tom wrote:Color me impractical and maybe even quixotic but for such a personal endeavor shouldn't conveying the excitement and urgency of the original vision take precedence over a slick sales pitch?
If that "excitement" can be used to prop up the sales pitch then yes. But when you have a finished game, you have to sell a finished game. Not a vision.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron