Return to “General”

What level of character development can we expect?

Are we talking eve? Where you spawn in/near a station, given some free tools and ships for completing tasks, and mainly utilizing an economy?

Or are we talking Minecraft? Starting off in a tiny ship, discharging your shields to break apart small asteroids, building storage containers for the gathering of resources, constructing space stations one small section at a time using tools you research and construct, and eventually contract NPCs to aid you building an empire literally by hand?

As a backer, last thing I want to see is an offline clone of EVE; utilizing UI and economies as your primary source of character development. It would be amazing to see the economy take a back seat; there to help you learn skills or buy rare materials with quantities of cheaper materials. Using your materials to build sections at a time of a space station, instead of using money to plop one in a strategic place.

Taking a quick look around, information on character development seems scarce, unless I'm missing a topic, or a second FAQ.
Re: What level of character development can we expect?

I guess thinking of it as an offline EVE is somewhat fair :) Of course, with more emphasis on direct control (obviously) and RTS elements.

But yes, the economy will be one of the main ways that you advance yourself. Missions/interacting with the universe and NPCs will be another. Building assets yet another.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:I guess thinking of it as an offline EVE is somewhat fair :) Of course, with more emphasis on direct control (obviously) and RTS elements.

But yes, the economy will be one of the main ways that you advance yourself. Missions/interacting with the universe and NPCs will be another. Building assets yet another.
Hmm, ok. You still have me sold. Free flight and RTS are always welcome in space sims. If I can make one request tho? Study Spore's space mode long and hard, and really try to understand how NOT to make an HD version of that :P Especially with your universe truly being infinite, i can easily see LT fall in the same mode of monotony with trading and generated NPC tasks being the primary source of character development. Maybe that's just me?

I certainly agree, the space mode of Spore quickly got tiresome. But it's not really surprising, if you look at the star systems in spore they're all quite homogeneous. Albeit, I really enjoyed the planets - I thought the planetary stage of Spore was absolutely awesome, but not the space stage.

But hopefully you can already see that the look/feel of LT systems is much greater in diversity :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

The Hedge Knight wrote:If you made the politics as deep as Crusader Kings 2 / Game of Thrones, I would double my pledge.

I AM SERIOUS JOSH, DO IT. PLEASE. PLEASE. REPLY TO THIS. ANSWER MY HOPES AND DREAMS. PLEASE.
I would like to second the motion that Crusader Kings 2 should be looked at, especially for its interesting NPC system. The hundreds of NPC's it keep track with their own plans, plots, and designs is quite impressive. Every NPC had a goal, traits, resources, etc. Moreover, these NPC's were not static but generated as the game went on. I think that the game might be a great inspiration for a procedural generator of NPC's for Limit Theory.
The short question: "What is truth?"
The short answer: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

I agree, NPCs need to have their own assets and be treated exactly the same as the player. As far as construction is concerned I think it would be neat to build structures in sections and allow each section to have a specific purpose. This would allow structures to be modular.

Online Now