Return to “General”

Background Simulation

I've been thinking more and more about this lately. But is anyone else planning to do what I've been thinking about and planning to do by letting the game run in the background all the time even while doing other things so that the universe simulates in the background even if you're not actively playing? I'm probably going to do that. Might just leave the game running 24/7 and play it at my leisure. I think that would be really interesting.
Re: Background Simulation

Judging from previous games I played, no. I don't like worlds like that of Animal Crossing which move on without you. Also, I don't like draining power for a game when I'm not even playing it. And I would probably not be happy to wake up and find my fleet to be wiped out because I just didn't notice the enemy fire blasting through my hull.
Last edited by Eery Petrol on Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

McDuff wrote:It's tempting to do this, but after a while I suspect I would get paranoid that my well-managed logistics chain would suddenly suffer a supply shock and I'd wake up to find my entire trading empire had fallen over.
What I'd ideally really like for this kind of thing is to have statistics and details about my game hosted somewhere online (like EVE Gate) or available via an iOS/Android app (like Neocom) that lets me track how my business empire is faring even if I'm not at my house, just via my mobile phone or iPad or whatever.

I'm sure Josh can design something like that right after curing world AIDS.

ThymineC wrote:
McDuff wrote:It's tempting to do this, but after a while I suspect I would get paranoid that my well-managed logistics chain would suddenly suffer a supply shock and I'd wake up to find my entire trading empire had fallen over.
What I'd ideally really like for this kind of thing is to have statistics and details about my game hosted somewhere online (like EVE Gate) or available via an iOS/Android app (like Neocom) that lets me track how my business empire is faring even if I'm not at my house, just via my mobile phone or iPad or whatever.
O_O this would be great.
ThymineC wrote:I'm sure Josh can design something like that right after curing world AIDS.
Wasn't he going to revolutionize quantum computing first? Or curing cancer? And he also still needs to make the Unified theory of Everything. :ghost:
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Cha0zz wrote:
ThymineC wrote:I'm sure Josh can design something like that right after curing world AIDS.
Wasn't he going to revolutionize quantum computing first? Or curing cancer? And he also still needs to make the Unified theory of Everything. :ghost:
Well, since Josh is going to perfect the theoretical side of artificial intelligence by the end of June, it'd be best for him to hold off on the quantum computing revolution until after everything else, since the combination of perfectly-written AI software hosted on computing hardware powerful enough to support it will undoubtedly lead to the destruction of the universe, something we'd prefer to hold off on until we've at least got over LT 2.0.

ThymineC wrote:

I'm sure Josh can design something like that right after curing world AIDS.
That would be really cool, and actually not very hard if the statistics are readily available anyway. Josh could build in post-release a built in http server that you could connect to with both a desktop and mobile theme that can navigate all the juicy statistics and what have you ;)

I suppose it would be fun to have an observer mode... I sometimes enjoy going into Crusader Kings 2, giving some random count a million gold and watch what happens, I would love to do the same with the data editor, especially see how one person suddenly having unlimited resources in a real economy would work. There shall be at least a few simulations where I shall be the great and powerful Oz who gives and takes at his own pleasure.

I suspect though, if the AI is smart enough, after 100 hours of simulation, you simply would not be able to tell any differences between a universe that a human being interacted with, and a simulation left to run on its own... If the player isnt special, than their absence isn't really a loss.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

I'd consider that a success.

With a lot of games, it's fun to sit back and watch them simulate on their own. I imagine Limit Theory would be just as cool to do that with. If the game stays about the same without the player, that just means that the AI is successful in matching and emulating player behavior. The player should be able to make a difference, yes, but the fate of the universe shouldn't hinge solely on the player's interaction. In my opinion, anyway.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

5anitybane wrote:In short, I won't be. In all likelihood my eyes will be fixated to my monitor for two solid days while I immerse myself in every facet I can, before feeling the disorientation of shutting the PC down and returning to 'reality'.
This 'reality' you speak of. If it doesn't offer space ships of awesome pewpew then I'm not interested! :squirrel:

Online Now