Return to “General”

Star Citizen Who? Pfft. (And hi!)

First off, new here, having just discovered LT yesterday and read through all the Dev Logs and Dev Videos on YouTube. And I must say, I'm rather smitten with LT. One of the biggest things that made me swoon was Josh's idea of a Freelancer 2. Yes, please, and amen. Not often do you really witness innovation in the gaming industry anymore, but I'm rather amazed at, not only the ideas Josh is bringing to the table, but actually getting them implemented (signal scanner anyone?). He's doing some things that are crazy original and make so much sense. Love it.

And the point of my post beyond a really awkward introduction post coming off as a lovestruck tween? I've been drooling for Star Citizen since its conception. I mean who for the love of space sims wouldn't be? I'm sure Josh himself is. But I have to thank LT for coming along, because now I find myself NOT-so-desperately awaiting SC. Don't get me wrong, it'll be pretty epic...but therein lies kind of the loss of appeal SC is starting to have. It almost is starting to feel way too commercial, too epic, and too...well, overwhelming. Not that I won't be playing it, because I most certainly will. It's just that LT seems to connect on a more intimate level, if that makes any sense at all. Limit Theory feels a lot more person, and epic in all the right ways.

Maybe I'm crazy. Limit Theory feels to me that it is every bit as deep, every bit as intricate, yet not nearly as intimidating. And that's exactly what I want in my space sim. I want the feeling of kicking back and enjoying it, taking it all in, not sweating bullets because it feels like the pressure of a job.

All that just to say thanks for filling the nitch! Don't worry, LT will not get overlooked or dwarfed by SC. At least not in my circle of fellow space-simmers. Ran a highly-populated dedicated Freelancer server for years, and we will all be playing LT. Especially once the multiplayer/co-op hits. Looking forward to it!
Re: Star Citizen Who? Pfft. (And hi!)

Vandrick wrote:All that just to say thanks for filling the nitch! Don't worry, LT will not get overlooked or dwarfed by SC. At least not in my circle of fellow space-simmers. Ran a highly-populated dedicated Freelancer server for years, and we will all be playing LT. Especially once the multiplayer/co-op hits. Looking forward to it!
Welcome, Vandrick. LT is not planning to have multiplayer functionality. The best you can hope for in that regard is that people manage to mod it in.

Thank you for a passionate first post and welcome to the forums Vandrick.

I found myself nodding in agreement with many of the points you made. Even though I am very heavily committed to Star Citizen this is the game I have been patiently waiting for. Freelancer 2 is so close now you can almost taste it. :D

I too am sorry that you may feel disappointed because of the lack of multiplayer. I am sure it will come in time but LT was always envisaged as a single player game. If multiplayer isn't modded into LT1 it is likely you will see it officially in LT2..or LT3. :thumbup:

Vandrick wrote:
theStormWeaver wrote:There are no plays for Multiplayer of any kind in LT, I'm sorry to disappoint you.
My bad. Thought I read somewhere Josh saying it wasn't planned for release but something they wanted to look into afterwards. Either way, can't imagine playing it any less. :D

On the upside... My feeling has always been; the reason games wind up feeling like a job is the MMO factor. You are always trying to keep up.

In any single player game.. you pause/save whenever you feel the need to stop playing for a while and everything is right where you left it when you get a chance to play again.

Silverlinings from a pessimist... who'd of thunk it.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" ~Confucius

Aarioch wrote:
Vandrick wrote:
theStormWeaver wrote:There are no plays for Multiplayer of any kind in LT, I'm sorry to disappoint you.
My bad. Thought I read somewhere Josh saying it wasn't planned for release but something they wanted to look into afterwards. Either way, can't imagine playing it any less. :D

On the upside... My feeling has always been; the reason games wind up feeling like a job is the MMO factor. You are always trying to keep up.

In any single player game.. you pause/save whenever you feel the need to stop playing for a while and everything is right where you left it when you get a chance to play again.

Silverlinings from a pessimist... who'd of thunk it.
Most definitely. For a game like LT I'd much rather see co-op than anything MMO. Maybe up to 8 players or so. Would be nice to play with a few friends. I always host, so they'd have to go at my pace :thumbup:

Vandrick wrote: Most definitely. For a game like LT I'd much rather see co-op than anything MMO. Maybe up to 8 players or so. Would be nice to play with a few friends. I always host, so they'd have to go at my pace :thumbup:
well... that "everyone is treated equally" would be actually a good background for an MMO, as there would be no difference if you play with AI or other humans

Multiplayer is definitely a feature of LT. (There, I said it).

From interacting with people on forums, reading dev logs from a crazy insane developer, looking at animated pictures on a collaborative video sharing website, to sharing ideas for ships/planets/weapons when the game is eventually released, LT is through and through multiplayer. In fact for most of us without access to the alpha, multiplayer is so far the only way that we can play the game right now.

That said, I'd prefer if the actual gameplay (you know, flying around and shooting stuff) remained single player.
Last edited by jimhsu on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimhsu wrote:Multiplayer is definitely a feature of LT. (There, I said it).

From interacting with people on forums, reading dev logs from a crazy insane developer, to sharing ideas for ships/planets/weapons when the game is eventually released, LT is through and through multiplayer. In fact for most of us without access to the alpha, multiplayer is so far the only way that we can play the game right now.

That said, I'd prefer if the actual gameplay (you know, flying around and shooting stuff) remained single player.
:thumbup: :lol:

wizaerd wrote:The lack of multiplayer is one of the key features that drew me to this game. I'm so tired of every game trying to fit in multiplayer. I applaud dedicated development to the single player!!
Ditto, I kind of get overwhelmed by games that practically force you to do multiplayer but barely putting any effort into single player. I have bought some games that had a very lacking campaign just because all of the hype was on multiplayer. I have to say, I have been watching games like Banished, Star Citizen, Thief, and this...and I have Limit Theory as a MUST BUY. I'll stop drinking or going out to eat or maybe even skip eating to put money towards this haha (I won't do anything hazardous to my health).

And multiplayer can really make things difficult because you will always have people who feel that one thing or another are not balanced at all and it becomes a game of having to tweak a million things a million different ways, and I don't want Josh's hair falling out yet.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Welcome, citizen.

Personally, I'm the exception on this forum and I don't like Freelancer. Interestingly, I believe LT is one of the best discoveries I've made lately. I think I knew about it in October, and read the devlogs and watch the videos has been fascinating.

I don't want LT will ever be a multiplayer game, but I wish someday it acquire cockpit view and ship, station and building interiors. Procedurally generated interiors? That day this game will be simply too wonderful to be true. :ghost:
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Online Now