Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory in the News

We got a brief mention here on RockPaperShotgun:
Graham Smith wrote:This is also old, but only from March of 2017. Josh Parnell is the developer of Limit Theory, a Kickstarted space game that was updating regularly a couple of years ago but then went quiet. Parnell has since been open about the risks of burnout and to mental health in indie passion projects, and talked to Oliver Milne about that at GamesIndustry.biz. Development has continued even during periods of silence and there was a development update on the game’s site back in May.
“I was living alone in a cabin in the mountains of Tennessee, which is very peaceful, and that’s why I wanted to develop there – but, you know, it’s also a good place to go crazy, because you’re alone all the time, just coding,” he told us. Developing solo – despite the impressive sum raised by the Kickstarter campaign, the only parts of the project he has outsourced are the music and sound effects – Parnell was isolated when the wheels began to fall off the bus.
It's a bit outdated, but still a mention. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:12 am
We got a brief mention here on RockPaperShotgun:
Graham Smith wrote:This is also old, but only from March of 2017. Josh Parnell is the developer of Limit Theory, a Kickstarted space game that was updating regularly a couple of years ago but then went quiet. Parnell has since been open about the risks of burnout and to mental health in indie passion projects, and talked to Oliver Milne about that at GamesIndustry.biz. Development has continued even during periods of silence and there was a development update on the game’s site back in May.
“I was living alone in a cabin in the mountains of Tennessee, which is very peaceful, and that’s why I wanted to develop there – but, you know, it’s also a good place to go crazy, because you’re alone all the time, just coding,” he told us. Developing solo – despite the impressive sum raised by the Kickstarter campaign, the only parts of the project he has outsourced are the music and sound effects – Parnell was isolated when the wheels began to fall off the bus.
It's a bit outdated, but still a mention. :)
Those were dark times. May no one ever go through that again.

I think it's good that the games industry is starting to take mental health seriously. I also think Hellblade has definitely helped steer the conversation into the open, and thus made it easier to talk about.

Josh, We're here for you, we are your community, we love you and your dream. <3 :thumbup:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Just saw this thread, and lemme say :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: to everybody maintaining it!!! :000 <333333
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

Online Now