Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory in the News

I would not have asked had I not repeatedly seen incomplete/indie/Kickstartered games with their own Wikipedia pages, such as Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Jon Blow's The Witness.

I have no objections to those games having Wikipedia entries. But if it's OK for them, where's LT, which does have references and which is doing some demonstrably different things that make it at least as notable as just the two games I mentioned above.

Typical Wikipedia editorial incoherence, I suppose.

Not strictly Limit Theory news but in the current Letter from the Chairman on the RSI site, Chris Roberts talks about his plans to create a Procedural Generation R&D Team:

"If we can develop a truly great procedural generation system, one that lets us create entire planets for you to populate, then we can expand the game to add these features (and more) in the future.

Procedural Generation R&D Team – This stretch goal will allocate funding for Cloud Imperium to develop procedural generation technology for future iterations of Star Citizen. Advanced procedural generation will be necessary for creating entire planets worth of exploration and development content. A special strike team of procedural generation-oriented developers will be assembled to make this technology a reality.

I hope you will agree with me that this is an exciting goal, and that you will join me in this commitment to Star Citizen’s future!"

Has he offered you a job yet Mr Parnell? You appear to be a suitable candidate. ;)

AbhChallenger wrote:I doubt they could pay Josh more then he could make with constant updates to LT1 and developing LT2.

Besides, Josh is not exactly keeping development a secret. There is a treasure trove worth of development insight in the dev blogs.
As Chris Roberts is a backer and admirer of the work that Josh is doing it would be fair to say that he would be interested in acquiring his services. Add to that the fact that Josh has already been given an open invitation by Chris to join him at CIG....

You are not really saying anything I am not aware of AbhChallenger but I agree and would be very surprised if Josh accepted such an offer.

Sheesh, I will have to be careful what I say, members are starting to take what I say as ultra serious.

Lum wrote:It's all in the colours Victor. Solution a) go shopping, b) ignore it, c) banning en masse. Either way, you'll be tagged (as fashion chick, passive moron or wannabe dictator).

I'd be the moron, probably... :lol:
Unlikely I would ever make the grade as a fashion chick and dictators are the scum of the earth to me. So what does that leave? :lol:

I can't help but notice that the comments on the Me, Myself and UI article go in a direction that has been of concern on these boards as well: shiny UI and shiny graphics are all fine and dandy, but at the end of the day gameplay is king.

At the time of writing this post I'm still lagging behind a full two weeks of dev logs, so there's hope that with the February update we'll see a turn towards beginning to showcase gameplay elements. Because the voices that ask for it or raise their concerns with it—within the community and in the general public—are only going to become louder with time.

Not only are they going to get louder (because there are more of them), I can pretty much guarantee some specific things they will say:

"What am I supposed to do? ... What do you mean, I can do anything I want? How am I supposed to know what I can do?"

"How do I beat this game? ... What do you mean, there's no way to win?"

"There's some kind of scoring at least, right? ... No? Then how are you supposed to know if you're doing better than the other players?"

"Can I [concrete, tangible real-world activity] in this game? ... Why not? Your game is broken without that and no one will play it."

"What kind of Achievements will this game give me?" (Actually, that's sort of an interesting question -- will LT have anything like explicit recognition for particular kinds of accomplishments? Should it?)

None of these are "bad" things, exactly. People like what they like, including the kinds of games they like. And some of them are going to like more mechanical-gameplay conventions than LT seems likely to be intended to deliver.

So unless Limit Theory 1.0 is going to deliver exactly and fully everything stated in the Kickstarter text, it might be helpful to start drafting a new summary of what Limit Theory 1.0 is really going to feel like. Unhappy surprises are prevented (mostly) by properly setting expectations.

That, I think, will pay for itself as LT attracts more of the general population of gamers with each new story in the gaming press.

Flatfingers wrote: *snip*
The accumulated filth of all their complaints and moans will foam up about their waists and all the non-pledgers and entitled will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

:twisted: :twisted: It is times like those that I wish we could incorporate a few like Hardenberg into our ranks for a bit of time. :twisted: :twisted:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Flatfingers wrote:So unless Limit Theory 1.0 is going to deliver exactly and fully everything stated in the Kickstarter text, it might be helpful to start drafting a new summary of what Limit Theory 1.0 is really going to feel like. Unhappy surprises are prevented (mostly) by properly setting expectations.
So far it is on track to do exactly that - I have not cut any features from the KS's description at this time! And there are several that were not included in the KS... :D If it becomes necessary to do so, I will of course be transparent about it. But the KS promises are perhaps even a bit more lenient than the trajectory towards which I'm currently headed... :ghost: :)

At the end of the day I'm not concerned if people don't see the potential right now. It's still in development, these are development updates, not release trailers. I speak a bit about this for a minute or so at the end of #14. But ultimately it seems people forget that I am making this game, first and foremost, because I want to play the ultimate space sim!! Not for money, not to fulfill KS, not for any other reason than for the fact that I so desperately want that Freelancer 2 / EVE hybrid of which I always dreamed.

So that being said, I understand if people are concerned about current lack of gameplay. Lack of visible content is characteristic of a procedural methodology. But to be concerned about the gameplay that will make it to final release? Absurd! The first and perhaps hardest test that Limit Theory must pass before being released is my own....! :D

(BTW, many people seem to have forgotten, or not even know, that much gameplay was already present a year ago in LTP...I mean, not on the same level as LT final release, but indeed a fair amount of fun gameplay.. :( )
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:But ultimately it seems people forget that I am making this game, first and foremost, because I want to play the ultimate space sim!! Not for money, not to fulfill KS, not for any other reason than for the fact that I so desperately want that Freelancer 2 / EVE hybrid of which I always dreamed.
I'm so happy that it's intended as a Freelancer-EVE hybrid, and not just a Freelancer sequel. I've always thought to myself, if EVE was more like...well I have no frame of reference to say what like, but I'm guessing more like Freelancer from what I've heard about it - if EVE was more like Freelancer, it'd be so much better.

ThymineC wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:But ultimately it seems people forget that I am making this game, first and foremost, because I want to play the ultimate space sim!! Not for money, not to fulfill KS, not for any other reason than for the fact that I so desperately want that Freelancer 2 / EVE hybrid of which I always dreamed.
I'm so happy that it's intended as a Freelancer-EVE hybrid, and not just a Freelancer sequel. I've always thought to myself, if EVE was more like...well I have no frame of reference to say what like, but I'm guessing more like Freelancer from what I've heard about it - if EVE was more like Freelancer, it'd be so much better.
:D Yes! I mean Freelancer has that first-person, immersive feeling to it. 'You are a guy in a ship.' The fun, tactile, direct control. Pew pew. EVE has the depth - economy, research / production chains, large-scale war, etc.

Smash them together and.... :thumbup: :thumbup: I think it's a winner!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote::D Yes! I mean Freelancer has that first-person, immersive feeling to it. 'You are a guy in a ship.' The fun, tactile, direct control. Pew pew. EVE has the depth - economy, research / production chains, large-scale war, etc.

Smash them together and.... :thumbup: :thumbup: I think it's a winner!
Yes, that's hitting the nail on the head. That's exactly it. That would make a perfect game, imo.

I mean, I love how much stuff there is to research in EVE; I love its depth; but goddamn, the interaction with the system is so limited - you can literally press a button and not have to touch the mechanic again for another month. That's not even hyperbole. :(

And the economy is so complex that they actually hire a full-time economist to perform quarterly analysis of it, or so I've heard.

Edit: Yeah they do.

Understood, Josh -- thanks.

For my own comments, I'll just say that all my suggestions are predicated on wanting as many people as possible to get a chance to enjoy Limit Theory. From long experience with other games in public development, I can say that this gets harder when people show up expecting something, aren't told with shattering clarity exactly what it is they're actually getting, and fly off badmouthing everything about the game and its developers in the most vile ways. Other people then hear that noise and believe it.

My feeling is that if this effect can be reduced somewhat (though of course not entirely) with a one- or two-paragraph, impossible-to-miss description of the game's core features and "feel," then that's time well spent. It's a small investment in easily comprehended information for new folks that pays dividends in helping to keep the public conversation mostly positive.

I won't argue the point. This note is just to clarify that what I'm really after is to help insure that the gamers who share your dream of playing a Freelancer 2 / EVE hybrid don't get scared off by the visitors who expected something else.

Online Now