Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory in the News

Flatfingers wrote:Understood, Josh -- thanks.

For my own comments, I'll just say that all my suggestions are predicated on wanting as many people as possible to get a chance to enjoy Limit Theory. From long experience with other games in public development, I can say that this gets harder when people show up expecting something, aren't told with shattering clarity exactly what it is they're actually getting, and fly off badmouthing everything about the game and its developers in the most vile ways. Other people then hear that noise and believe it.

My feeling is that if this effect can be reduced somewhat (though of course not entirely) with a one- or two-paragraph, impossible-to-miss description of the game's core features and "feel," then that's time well spent. It's a small investment in easily comprehended information for new folks that pays dividends in helping to keep the public conversation mostly positive.

I won't argue the point. This note is just to clarify that what I'm really after is to help insure that the gamers who share your dream of playing a Freelancer 2 / EVE hybrid don't get scared off by the visitors who expected something else.
You're absolutely right. The definitive feature list / summery of "what is LT" is far too spread out and ambiguous - I do hope to rectify this when the new site is launched :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

DWMagus wrote::twisted: :twisted: It is times like those that I wish we could incorporate a few like Hardenberg into our ranks for a bit of time. :twisted: :twisted:
If I know anyhing about Hardenberg from my time stalking here, then it is that, being one of the more even-handed indvidiuals on this forum, he'd eventually be inclined to agree with the complaints, not dispel them. :)

JoshParnell wrote:The definitive feature list / summery of "what is LT" is far too spread out and ambiguous - I do hope to rectify this when the new site is launched :)
I have a topic here that covers the features that are going to be in the game along with their current status. If you think I should add, remove, or change the location of any item please let me know.

JoshParnell wrote:
:D Yes! I mean Freelancer has that first-person, immersive feeling to it. 'You are a guy in a ship.' The fun, tactile, direct control. Pew pew. EVE has the depth - economy, research / production chains, large-scale war, etc.

Smash them together and.... :thumbup: :thumbup: I think it's a winner!
Hmm..Interesting. I was unaware of how big a fan of EVE you are Josh. I don't remember it featuring heavily in your KS list of the games that had majorly influenced you. Did I miss that? I know my eyesight isn't what it used to be and my memory occasionally lets me down but I can't recall EVE ever featuring as a part of any discussion I had with you. Probably that memory of mine. :)

I don't have much to say about EVE itself as I have never felt any overwhelming desire to play it. Spreadsheets in space was never my idea of fun. I certainly enjoy the music from the game and some of the in-game assets look awesome. :)

Will I be able to identify my game in this mashup you propose or will it be such an alien experience that I will be scratching my head asking what happened? Should I be questioning my judgement concerning LT? Can I still be confident that the game I have been ardently awaiting will be recognizable as the natural successor to Freelancer?

I have suffered one major disappointment recently with X-Rebirth. My anxiety seems to be gaining the upper hand yet again.

Victor, you might be interested to know that the original pitch for Freelancer included all those elements that Josh specifically cites as EVE's strong points. Ideally Freelancer would have had dynamic economies, shifting faction borders, and large scale war, but its troubled development lead to the axing of many of its grand designs, originally spearheaded by Chris Roberts. In that sense I don't believe that the final game will disappoint you and certainly you'll notice the natural connection between LT and Freelancer.

I would, however, advise you to prepare yourself for the announcement of a second delay. ;) I do not realistically expect to see Josh's ideal game completed by mid-2014. And I don't worry about the quality of the game, or his financials, or his drive, though I do wonder about Josh's plans for resuming his education at Stanford (never mind the fact that he probably knows enough to school the rest of his classmates by himself :)).

Slightly OT, but....

I played EVE Online for several years, and while I'm no expert, I would say that the One True Feature that sets EVE apart from other games is player corporations.

Beyond the pure game mechanics of flying and shooting, EVE is optimized as very few other games are for letting large numbers of players cooperate to control entire areas of the gameworld in both military and economic ways. The impact of the "corps" is so great that if you don't join one -- as I didn't -- you're missing out almost entirely on the human drama that makes EVE so appealing.

I think it's fair to say that pretty much all of EVE's gameplay systems are consciously designed and implemented to support this social interaction.

Which brings me to Limit Theory, which is not a multiplayer game... but for which Josh has described a remarkable level of NPC AI. :)

Goal-setting, delegation and contracts will allow LT's NPCs to interact with the game systems (combat, trade, research, exploration) and with each other -- and the player! -- in a way that nearly simulates how actual players behave in EVE. Those interactions will create a form of social terrain in Limit Theory that resembles the human social structures in EVE, and should yield something like the same kind of "oh my god I can't believe the totally unscripted mass event I just saw happen" events for which EVE has become notorious.

In theory. :)
Last edited by Flatfingers on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alpan wrote:Victor, you might be interested to know that the original pitch for Freelancer included all those elements that Josh specifically cites as EVE's strong points. Ideally Freelancer would have had dynamic economies, shifting faction borders, and large scale war, but its troubled development lead to the axing of many of its grand designs, originally spearheaded by Chris Roberts. In that sense I don't believe that the final game will disappoint you and certainly you'll notice the natural connection between LT and Freelancer.

I would, however, advise you to prepare yourself for the announcement of a second delay. ;) I do not realistically expect to see Josh's ideal game completed by mid-2014. And I don't worry about the quality of the game, or his financials, or his drive, though I do wonder about Josh's plans for resuming his education at Stanford.
Thanks for that alpan. I have to admit that I do tend to forget the big picture that was envisaged for Freelancer by Chris and the troubled birth the game was subjected to; even though I have discussed it here with members before now. That memory of mine is worse than I thought. :lol: I think it was the link that Mr Parnell made with EVE that had my heart sinking.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if more delays were announced. I can't say I was ever concerned with that particular aspect.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :thumbup: :wave:

I don't have to remind you of my preferences in game play Flat. ;) :)

The elements of social interaction that you describe as the main appeal in EVE are, as you know, anathema to me so you really aren't surprised that I wasn't attracted to it. There is also the stated fact that I hate spreadsheets.
Flatfingers wrote:Goal-setting, delegation and contracts will allow LT's NPCs to interact with the game systems (combat, trade, research, exploration) and with each other -- and the player! -- in a way that nearly simulates how actual players behave in EVE. Those interactions will create a form of social terrain in Limit Theory that resembles the human social structures in EVE, and should yield something like the same kind of "oh my god I can't believe the totally unscripted mass event I just saw happen" events for which EVE has become notorious.

In theory. :)
In effect all the pleasure without the pain. :D In theory of course. :lol:

Thanks Flat, I can always depend on you to help me see things clearly. :thumbup:

Online Now