Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory in the News

Talvieno wrote:Whoa, that article is a lot longer than it was the first time I looked at it. :shock:
It seems to keep growing :shock: Now it has a nice LT image at the top...which I don't remember being there earlier :ghost:
Hyperion wrote:...
Honestly Hyperion, this was mostly just me framing it in terms of an 'innovative business' rather than 'kid creates his dream game.' The latter is and has always been the truth. At the same time, I do believe others can benefit from proceduralism (I had an extensive argument with Flavien from Infinity: Quest for Earth long before LT about how proceduralism could help). That's not my focus, per se -- my focus at the moment is developing proceduralism for my game to make it the game I wanted it to be (the one laid out in KS). I view Limit Theory as both my dream game and a huge demonstration that PCG is king (which has always been the case!) For the businessfolk, I framed it more as "a huge demonstration of the company's technology." I get how that can seem duplicitous, but it's really saying the same thing with a different focus. PCG is my primary technology. The focus at this point in time isn't on using it to help other companies, it's on using it to develop the dream game that was proposed on KS.

None of the extra scope of my other business affairs was planned before the KS, nor does it consume any of my time currently. I don't actively think about making sure my technology is relevant to others (i.e., that it can be easily licensed or re-used by third parties), that's just a potential direction for Procedural Reality after LT 1.0. I do actively think about how to make it bolster the quality of LT as much as possible.

So...don't worry, this isn't a situation where I'm secretly making big business moves behind the scenes while forgetting about LT. All focus is on LT the game, not LT the tech demo / business product. It's also worth noting that I was fairly caught off guard by this presentation, so I probably didn't say everything perfectly (I found out yesterday that I would be giving it, so I hadn't rehearsed or anything...)

I, too am curious to see what the advisory team entails. I've been given no information about that as of yet (things seem to fall in place rather last-minute here...either that or I've got my head stuck too far in the coding sand to see things coming in advance....:monkey: )
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I do certainly hope that your advisors understand this as well, it would be all too easy for them to smell a cash cow in your presentation of LT's PCG tech. I imagine that at the very least, post-1.0 there will be a strong push to make your tools a stand-alone business product. It's nice to see you have enough business acumen to couch your work in terms that make their eyes sparkle with greed while holding to your artistry :twisted: ;)

but twice now you've been outed with your timeline, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We've learned to take dates with a grain of salt. ;)

And to be honest, your response just now has sealed my confidence in you and your current development methodology.

love ya josh <3

Now, about those screenshots...
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Talvieno wrote:Whoa, that article is a lot longer than it was the first time I looked at it. :shock:

Where did Victor go? He would be excited to hear all this.
I'm here, Nathan, just doing what comes more naturally to me. (As if you didn't know ;) ) It's all good news from what I can gather. I've been distracted by other good news for the last week or so. The lurking stuff proved to be more useful especially during the early weeks of this new year. I'm never at my best for a few weeks after the end of year/ beginning of new year festivities. :oops:

Congratulations to Josh are in order but there was never really any doubt of such an outcome to the proceedings was there? However, it's good to know that he now has the official stamp of approval and a true home for his current and future enterprise. :clap:

As to the release of LT, I've already said that I'm excited about the likely delivery of the game in 2016. :D

JoshParnell wrote: ...

They were very pleased with what they saw :D Apparently several wanted to be on my advisory team, so I've now got some serious businessfolk who will be helping me structure the timeline / work / everything else as we get closer to release (I can almost feel the communal sigh of relief at the thought of Josh having some form of 'project management' team!) :)
Perhaps one or two of them can work on "Public Relations"? Update KS, new informations on the forum, LTSL libary etc. etc..
And after they are done with their work we judge them. :D
:D

N-Joy wrote:
JoshParnell wrote: ...

They were very pleased with what they saw :D Apparently several wanted to be on my advisory team, so I've now got some serious businessfolk who will be helping me structure the timeline / work / everything else as we get closer to release (I can almost feel the communal sigh of relief at the thought of Josh having some form of 'project management' team!) :)
Perhaps one or two of them can work on "Public Relations"? Update KS, new informations on the forum, LTSL libary etc. etc..
And after they are done with their work we judge them. :D
I've offered, N-Joy, but he didn't seem inclined to accept. :) Then again, perhaps he'd be more open to a professional handling it instead of a regular forum member.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

charnode wrote:About the blurp; I'll liken it to nuclear fusion. At any given point in time ever since the 70ies, nuclear fusion is about 20 years away from productive use in power plants.
To be fair, this isn't false, if they had to correct level of funding. :V
But correct funding is always the issue, we are about 20 years away from Mars too.
And 20 years away from finding a cure for all diseases.

But we don't fund these things properly.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
charnode wrote:About the blurp; I'll liken it to nuclear fusion. At any given point in time ever since the 70ies, nuclear fusion is about 20 years away from productive use in power plants.
To be fair, this isn't false, if they had to correct level of funding. :V
But correct funding is always the issue, we are about 20 years away from Mars too.
And 20 years away from finding a cure for all diseases.

But we don't fund these things properly.
Probably, but what I was trying to say is, though, that I do understand trying to give an accurate estimate on availability of a finished product is next to impossible if the product you are trying to finish is complex enough. I'll side with Victor on this one and harp on the fact that releasing information should not be a black or white thing. Going from one extreme to the other is something difficult to digest if you were emotionally involved in the project at hand. Little bits of information here and there, every other month or so would go a long way. Even a screenshot would be awesome. This way, even without an explanation from Josh, the community would have something to analyze, dissect and come up with explanations on what the various elements shown on screen could mean. Well, at this point I guess it'll be done when it's done. From what I've come to know about Josh, he is a man of extremes. There are no shades of grey.
You cannot not communicate.
Paul Watzlawick - 1st Axiom

I'm glad you noticed, charnode. :D I'm not always very subtle in my barrage of requests for...something...anything relating to the game and its current state of development. I found the last round of criticism slightly bruising. :(

On the plus side I did get to have a few words with Josh in IRC yesterday which was not ideal but it's been a while since I touched base with him. Nothing to report as far as any LT developments are concerned but it made me feel better. :angel:

He asked me not to request an advanced copy of the game which made me smile copiously. :mrgreen:

Victor Tombs wrote:Not really news but Josh did post a comment on the LT KS site a few days ago. It proves he still reads the comments made there. :angel:

Appearently after people went down the project-is-dead-lane. I will continuously harp on about that just little bits of information can keep the overall perception of people interested or involved in the project so much more positive. Not trying to offend anybody here, but it puzzles me how Josh, being so incredibly smart to come up with what he has already shown us with Limit Theory. does not seem to get what his course of action is doing to the project hype, which in turn will directly convert into money.

This hype theme is a dangerous thing, no doubt. I never really liked the hype train thing because it was adding pressure on Josh to every time outperform the previous monthly video. But prefessionalism means there is a middle ground. At this point in time Josh is probably massively involved in testing, maybe soon focussing on balancing. This means he should get to be within the game world quite a lot. How long does it take to take a screenshot and throw it towards the forums? This is nowhere near the effort needed to throw together a video with voice over lasting half an hour net play time.

As for me, the forums are basically just there to hit "mark forums read" when there is no new information. Somehow sad that it came to this. I want to look forward to playing Limit Theory. But rather I find myself looking forward to other games that do have their marketing together. Josh, please unterstand, I did not further this thought to insult you, it's just your interaction makes Limit Theory seem dead, however alive it may seem to you. :(
You cannot not communicate.
Paul Watzlawick - 1st Axiom

Online Now