Return to “General”

Re: Limit Theory in the News

OK, so for whatever reason, this comment to the above news article gave me a chuckle:
We gave money to this kid to go insane, basically...<snip>...I bet he's surrounded by jars filled with his own piss by this point.
I'm sure that wan't the commentard's intention but for what it's worth, Josh, could you please confirm that you're not in a room surrounded by jars of your own piss (other people's piss is totally acceptable of course)
:D

Talvieno wrote:Given that it's not really mentioned, and only has the name "Limit Theory" at the bottom without anything else, I'm not sure it merits getting put in the list.
Quite True.
The PDF only mentions Josh in thanks for his input into proceduralism, and not for LT itself.
Considering the technical aspect of the paper, it's not relevant to LT.
However it is a good read in it's own right.
:D
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Kimny wrote:Although it's not "in the news" but rather an academic citation, LT was referenced in the following great paper: http://stanford.edu/~dritchie/procmod-smc.pdf

(sorry if this was already mentioned before somewhere in the forums; I searched for it before posting but failed to find anything related).
Ah nice find!! That was actually written by a very sharp graphics grad student who TAd one of my classes when I was there. A year or two ago he emailed and asked a few questions in relation to this work. It's nice that he put LT in the credits :) It's a very interesting read indeed. He has some nice ships too!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Alex22 wrote:
Kimny wrote:Although it's not "in the news" but rather an academic citation, LT was referenced in the following great paper: http://stanford.edu/~dritchie/procmod-smc.pdf

(sorry if this was already mentioned before somewhere in the forums; I searched for it before posting but failed to find anything related).
I'm getting a 404 on that page, does anyone have a mirror?
It's located in my dropbox, which you can view here.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Just found this article.
It was posted Aug 23rd, 2016.

I found it on bluesnews.
It’s never a good sign when the most recent update on a Kickstarter page is titled something along the lines of “Still Alive!” but dated nearly a year ago. Such is the case for the space exploration game Limit Theory, an ambitious multi-genre hybrid that has received over $180,000 of backer support. With a campaign approaching four years on Kickstarter without a finished product released, some backers appear to be growing understandably doubtful about the future of the project.

The most recent update from developer Josh Parnell, dated September 2015, contains a rather candid description of the life and mental health struggles that have contributed to his silence and lack of updates on the project. According to Parnell, “It’s coming, way later than any of us wanted it to, but by God it’s going to be something truly special.” Aside from unfinished developer builds, there have yet to be any released playable pieces of the project, and the silence has resumed.

Normally, I would be quick to dismiss this kind of campaign as dead, especially given its ambitious pitch and the complex demands of design that come with a genre-spanning procedural experience. All too often we see developers biting off more than they can chew and proposing projects that will satisfy everyone. Yet I can’t help but feel a sense of hope about this campaign. The in-progress footage seems like it is at least on the right track and while, “mental health issues,” have been used as an excuse to drop a project before, Parnell’s words seem genuine and passionate. There is no doubt that he wants to finish work on Limit Theory, only doubt that he actually can.

Recent comments show signs of frustration from backers who have been waiting multiple years for the game, without even anything playable on their hands yet. As recently as a few days ago, Parnell has stated he is still working on the game, though concrete updates have not manifested and there is only his word to go by.

It’s not clear how much longer backer patience will last, but personally I’m not ready to call this one completely dead yet. That there exist somewhat functional developer builds already suggest that the game may someday become playable, if not actually completed to the full extent of its potential.

Whether that is ‘enough’ for those backers who have waited years for their money to be put to good use is not hard to say. It almost definitely isn’t. But unlike many slow-moving projects that fire my cynicism motor right up, I hope the best for this one and would be delighted if it someday does come to fruition, just for its multitude of ideas and clear passion.

Were this merely a personal self-funded project, Limit Theory might be seen as a hopeful story of a developer overcoming all obstacles for his vision, but Kickstarter has made these kinds of long-term projects seem like failures rather than valiant efforts. Then again, without the backer money in the first place, most of these projects would never see the light of day at all. So, while it’s fun to root for the little developer that could, I may be biased by just how late I’m coming to the party, not forced to endure the same waiting game as people who have put down their own money years ago.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Mistycica wrote:The dangers of passion projects: Staying sane in indie development

Scott Manley just retweeted this :3
Really great article.

Said by Josh in the article:
Glorious Josh wrote: (...) I foresee most of the rest of the time actually being spent on the balancing phase.
Does that mean we get to play it and give feedback so he can balance it better? :ghost:

Dinosawer wrote:Oh hey they quoted Flat :ghost:
That was the member who said ""Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"", wasn't it? :mrgreen:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Online Now