Return to “General”

Re: Exploring Planets

Thardimin wrote:It might be a bit more artistic like how vega strike has their planets set up. More of a point and click kind of interface. At least that is my speculation.
Funny you mention that, the point and click walking around on planets etc was about the only thing of Vega Strike I liked. I literally JUST played it, for about ten minutes hehe... didn't seem to have good mouseflight supported smooth flying so I decided to uninstall. There's to much that I want to do in a day anyways ^^

Haha it's funny you say that because that's about the same experience I had with vega strike. Took me a good 5-10 mins just to figure out how to move and then jumped through my first gate... got ambushed by someone or something I never even saw or had a chance to fight back. Then raged and uninstalled. May have been a good game, just didn't really get in to it.

I know on exploring planets that i would like to fly around on the surface of the planet and see the general terrain of the planet, this would allow the possibility to not only fly throughout the galaxy but explore individual planets that were created by the game.

Right now, exploration of planets is menu-based. The chances of being able to fly around on them are slim to none. However, the chances of a more immersive experience like the mentioned system of point/click at specific locations/buildings on the planet, that is more feasible, and it may happen!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:Right now, exploration of planets is menu-based. The chances of being able to fly around on them are slim to none. However, the chances of a more immersive experience like the mentioned system of point/click at specific locations/buildings on the planet, that is more feasible, and it may happen!
Any chance of some sort of scanning tech,to scan planets for resources something like mass effect or is all that info available when landing planet side?

Yes, I would also favor having some kind of scouting / scanning of the planets. I'm not sure I would want it as "low-level" as Mass Effect though, I want to fly my ship(s) around to some other location of this limitless universe, not spend 10 minutes on each planet locating the resources I need :) . Space Rangers did that through leaving satellites in orbit for a number of days to fully study the planets' characteristics.

Space Rangers did that through leaving satellites in orbit for a number of days to fully study the planets' characteristics.
Love the idea of leaving satellites in orbits around planets. You could also integrate having to leave defence platforms to protect the satellites from raiders, pirates. Even if a satellite is not worth much a pirate could easily fly past and decide to tractor it in.
Limit Theory - The most beast looking Space Sim.

Masterofjumping wrote:
Space Rangers did that through leaving satellites in orbit for a number of days to fully study the planets' characteristics.
Love the idea of leaving satellites in orbits around planets. You could also integrate having to leave defence platforms to protect the satellites from raiders, pirates. Even if a satellite is not worth much a pirate could easily fly past and decide to tractor it in.
Satellites can be worth quite a bit, if the pirates can pick them up and lift the results of their scans. Hey, look, we know where all the goodies are on this planet, how about we strip it before the owner of this satellite comes back?

Satellites have the potential to be very lucrative, both for 'honest' characters and 'lawless' characters. You could make a career out of operating/stealing satellites and selling their scan information to mining consortiums in search of resources, governments looking for certain planetary setups (colonization, penal systems, etc.), pirates in need of a new base of operations... there are all sorts of possibilities.
I am 42.

xim wrote:I really really hope that stations, satellites etc. dont necessarily have a static position but usually are in orbit of another object.
The physics calculations necessary to make your hope a reality would probably require more processing power than most people have on their ordinary computers.

In any event, orbits would make navigation by memory impossible -- you'd have to check your star charts every time you re-enter a system, and you'd still probably be checking frequently to make sure that your trajectory will meet with your destination's. I believe Josh has said that Limit Theory will have static cosmic bodies.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

With all the procedural stuff going on it would be quite fun seeing stars stealing planets from nearby systems or a planet gobbling a host of asteroids :-)

Gameplay wise though that would have limited interest and would even detract from some aspects such as navigation as per Grumblesaur post.

I think it could be interesting to have stations orbit around planets but anything more would be overkill IMHO... Especially as I'd like to be able to play this on my 3-year old laptop (unless I use LT as an excuse to upgrade :-) )

Online Now