Return to “General”

Question regarding production module on ships.

Hi, another questions. I saw the video about the industrial module on ships, and that is really, really awesome! I love that idea :) But that brings up a question, and a concern as well.

The question is, would we be able to build up a nomad fleet that is completely self-sufficient? I mean, have industrial ships that can mine and process materials, and manufacture stuff that is needed for the fleet (ships, ammo, fuel, etc). I would love to make such a fleet, specially if we have an infinite universe :) Reminds me of the old Homeworld games. Awesomesauce.

But... That also brings up a concern. It seems we'll also be able to build space stations. That sounds fun as well, but if we can have everything on mobile ships, why would we need a non-mobile station? Or will the stations bring something that we will not be able to do with a mobile fleet? I could think of capital ship building limited to stations only. That would add one requirement at least, but after I have my capitals, what then?

I guess I would not like to see a feature, like space stations, added to the game, and then ignored because another feature that was added is simply better in every way.
Re: Question regarding production module on ships.

Size / mass is no consideration on space stations so you can use big and cheap plants while a ship with such a plant would be crawling.
Stations can also have huge cargo bays so production can run much more smoothly than on a cramped spaceship.

So it's more likely that (most) ship-based productions units will be smaller scale and either be unable to build truly big things or very slowly.

If you absolutely must have a mobile shipyard, I suppose it's possible... but it won't be a fun ship to fly. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Online Now