Return to “General”

Creating Maps

I was just wondering in regard to how you mentioned how we all as a community could map the universes together, how this would work ?
Will the game somehow save a built in map of all the areas that you have visited ?
Or will we have to keep a record ourselves of exactly what we found and where we found it using some kind of coordinates ?
Just for personal use I was wondering how best I can map the many places I am looking forward to exploring !
Sorry if this has already been covered in the forum !

Thanks
Dave
Re: Creating Maps

Hi Bele,
thanks for the reply. Yes the idea of being able to sell maps to NPC's sounds like a good idea, makes endless exploring all the more rewarding. I am sure the system implemented by Josh will be a good one, I hope January 2014 comes around soon !

How to map it? It's not clear what will be worth mapping. =P
In ELITE or Frontier, the only things you needed to know about a star system were government and economy.
Everything else was PG scenery that you'd find it in every star system anyway.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

I have another related question:

Since each universe can be created by a unique number seed (I looove the idea of creating infinite universes YA!), is there a particular universal map that everyone will agree to focus mapping on? Or am I missing something.

ie. make universe 99678, start mapping it. Tell friends that "this map is for universe 99678".
Is this how it works? Or something else?

angelarch wrote:I have another related question:

Since each universe can be created by a unique number seed (I looove the idea of creating infinite universes YA!), is there a particular universal map that everyone will agree to focus mapping on? Or am I missing something.

ie. make universe 99678, start mapping it. Tell friends that "this map is for universe 99678".
Is this how it works? Or something else?
That would pretty much be it.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

That is my understanding too. I'm guessing the default universe will be the one that most people start mapping. Josh gave the seed number for that one a few times, but I don't recall off the top of my head. Personally, I'll probably start with seed 42.

Online Now