Return to “General”

How will factions be procedural

I am curious how factions would be procedural. I imagine you are probably going to forgo most voice acting, but otherwise how will we have coherent factions that make sense / are not over powered? Will they not be procedural and you are just going to shove in pre designed factions that do things randomly? It will be silly to see a randomly generated human faction that has pink ships and a unicorn as the emblem.
Re: How will factions be procedural

There will probably be no voice acting at all.

Factions will be visually coherent due to the ships, and probably stations, being generated from one seed.

The following is just a guess, but it's a pretty good guess based on the overall design philosophy of the game.
Factions will be generated with a set of random parameters deciding things such as aggressiveness, tolerance, morality, size, strength, funds, primary activities.

The question of factions being "overpowered" is not really relevant, in most games you'll find a wide range of factions from small groups to empires and I expect the same will hold for LT. If you start in an area owned by a huge faction you have a couple of choices,
1) Befriend/join the faction
2) Stay neutral
3) Fight it, it wouldn't make sense for a multi star system faction to send a capital fleet after one pirate in a small ship, would it?
4) Leave and find an area that isn't dominated by any one faction.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

The Hedge Knight wrote:Well hopefully factions dynamically have relations with each other, so a randomly generated super empire would end up just steam rolling the entire galaxy.
from the various responses given already in regards to the ai level of intel. i think that this would be a safe bet.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Bele, you're spot-on with respect to factions being generated with different parameters that affect their "personality" in-game.

The game will be self-balancing, in the sense that "overpowered" factions will get teamed up on by other factions and, eventually, eliminated. I don't think you'll find a single faction that just keeps expanding (but if you do, it makes for a rather neat story, no? :) )
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:Bele, you're spot-on with respect to factions being generated with different parameters that affect their "personality" in-game.

The game will be self-balancing, in the sense that "overpowered" factions will get teamed up on by other factions and, eventually, eliminated. I don't think you'll find a single faction that just keeps expanding (but if you do, it makes for a rather neat story, no? :) )
Does that affect the player? Say you just want to steamroll over every faction you meet, will more and more factions team up against you in an attempt to bring you back in line?

Online Now