Return to “General”

Re: asteroids what can be done

Maddix wrote:The vertex shader is pretty awesome. I wonder if LT uses it. :think:
LT, being a program that uses fairly modern OpenGL, uses vertex shaders extensively.
That being said I'm not sure how it applies to this particular topic. Culling does not occur in the vertex shader.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Katawa wrote:
Maddix wrote:The vertex shader is pretty awesome. I wonder if LT uses it. :think:
LT, being a program that uses fairly modern OpenGL, uses vertex shaders extensively.
That being said I'm not sure how it applies to this particular topic. Culling does not occur in the vertex shader.
I think he meant tessellation :D

And LT does not use tessellation, sorry :monkey: Don't want to target that level of hardware this time!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I think he meant tessellation :D

And LT does not use tessellation, sorry :monkey: Don't want to target that level of hardware this time!
Woops! I have not a clue on what I'm talking about! I'm going to go read up on shaders before I look like a fool again. :oops: Thanks for the correction.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Ixos wrote:Isn't tessellation a graphics feature that is easy to switch of for those that doesn't have graphics card that can support it?

Or does it have something to do with linux/mac compatibility? I can imagine that could be a problem.
Tessellation is a hardware feature that requires extra work from the developer, in the form of more specialized shaders generally. Its intended use is mostly to save memory bandwidth, which means more model detail rendered at more fps. This is, often, only relevant if model quality is your bottleneck and you're suffering the choice of lower quality models or sustainable fps.
While you can use tessellation to lower the bandwidth of your models in general, freeing up card resources to be used elsewhere, you can't count on it because then if someone plays without a card that can hardware tessellate you've set your performance bar too high innately.

Essentially the cost vs benefit of hardware tessellation breaks down to: does the game benefit from higher model quality, often fragment/pixel shaders give the desired visual quality already, and what percentage of people have cards that support it VS the time required to make, test, and perfect, the necessary shaders.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Online Now