Return to “General”

Re: Pirating

Tusck wrote: How much of a fight would they put up? Would you get full cargo or partial? Would the NPC's remember your previous actions. Like if you demanded a ransom, then blew them up anyway, would word get out, and the next ship would be less likely to given in because they know their dead anyway?
1) See the post you quoted.
2) that sounds like a game balance question to me and will be worked out during beta together with most balance fine tuning.
3) See the post you quoted.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

Tusck wrote:Not really. X series had boarding it all the shooting took place behind the scenes while you met certain benchmarks outside.
Ill admit ive never heard of or seen anything about the X series thats been mentioned several times. but if their boarding system works the way you described then it could bbe a very comfortable compromise for LT to look into.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Bele wrote:
Tusck wrote: How much of a fight would they put up? Would you get full cargo or partial? Would the NPC's remember your previous actions. Like if you demanded a ransom, then blew them up anyway, would word get out, and the next ship would be less likely to given in because they know their dead anyway?
2) that sounds like a game balance question to me and will be worked out during beta together with most balance fine tuning.
I don't agree that my questions are answered. I'm looking for more specifics because this is a huge reason why I would pledge. If I feel comfortable my playstyle is represented, I'll give my money to Josh so he can build it.

Tusck wrote:
Bele wrote:
I don't agree that my questions are answered. I'm looking for more specifics because this is a huge reason why I would pledge. If I feel comfortable my playstyle is represented, I'll give my money to Josh so he can build it.
The official answer is that Josh wont know before he's written the code for the AI, in the ideal dream version we all have of the game the first two would be dynamic and the last two would be in the AI.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

Tusck wrote:
Bele wrote:
the amount of fight they would put up i would asume would be proportional to their precived chances at winning (where in your reputation might come into to factor in). as to whether or not you get full cargo would depend on who your dealing with or if you take it all by force or barter with them. and fromhis other post on the level of AI its safe to say that they definitely would know you by reputation (i wonder if you could use any means to disguse your reputation like claim to be somone else or change your iconic ship to hide who you realy are...) and the only way i could see anyone learning about what youve done is if you alow anyone to live to tell the tail or if the manage to get off a distress signal before you jam/disable their communications.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Tusck wrote:
Bele wrote:
I didn't really pledge just because its a game I want to play but also for the vision he has with it. I don't expect it to turn out 100% how I want but I just love the way he is doing it and the work he is putting into it. Later down the road his game could influence someone else to make an another game like this but in a different way and a little different style. Something that someone else might enjoy more or less, better or worse or just build off his ideas.
But yes its always nice to see what you want added to the game or important features to you are added :)

Pillage the booty and out the air locks with whom don't follow us!

very well said, as for pirating, I want to be a terror on the high seas (not exactly sure how that will translate into a space sim?) (any ideas?) terror on the space highways? terror on the vast openness of space?

but I just want to command a fllet of ships that will bring terror to those that oppose us, (and still bring in lots of money too) smoke me a kipper I will be back before breakfast

Conti027 wrote: I didn't really pledge just because its a game I want to play but also for the vision he has with it. I don't expect it to turn out 100% how I want but I just love the way he is doing it and the work he is putting into it. Later down the road his game could influence someone else to make an another game like this but in a different way and a little different style. Something that someone else might enjoy more or less, better or worse or just build off his ideas.
But yes its always nice to see what you want added to the game or important features to you are added :)

Pillage the booty and out the air locks with whom don't follow us!
I understand what you are saying and I really didn't want to come across like that. Nothing will ever be 100% what you want. However, I've never been a merchant or a planet/station owner, and I'm not interested in trading or mining. I play space sims for combat and I'm very interested in bounty hunting, pirating, and spying to a certain extent. I just want to be reassured that there is enough for someone like me to do to make my living without having to fall back on other things like mining to make money so I can grow my mobile fleet of doom!

Tusck wrote:How much of a fight would they put up?
Depends on the magnitude of the forces involved. With a large enough squadron, you can probably convince them very quickly that they have no chance. If it's just one-vs-one, they might fight until they're severely damaged.
Would you get full cargo or partial?
If they drop, most likely full. If they won't, you'll have to destroy and hope for the best (partial) :)
Would the NPC's remember your previous actions. Like if you demanded a ransom, then blew them up anyway, would word get out, and the next ship would be less likely to given in because they know their dead anyway?
Yes, absolutely. Reputation is a key aspect of the game, especially if you're going to be a pirate.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Tusck wrote:I just want to be reassured that there is enough for someone like me to do to make my living without having to fall back on other things like mining to make money so I can grow my mobile fleet of doom!
There is enough for someone like you to do to make a living without having to fall back on other things :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote: ...
Yes, absolutely. Reputation is a key aspect of the game, especially if you're going to be a pirate.
So uhm, any thoughts on camouflage? For instance an ambush might involve you "disguising" your ship (thus your reputation) as a defenseless freighter until you deploy your weapons to cash in on your prey.

N810 wrote:If we do get fighter bays,
A pirate mothership camouflaged as a freighter would be pretty awesome. :idea:
Either that or a pirate mothership disguised as an asteroid. ;)
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

JoshParnell wrote:
Tusck wrote:I just want to be reassured that there is enough for someone like me to do to make my living without having to fall back on other things like mining to make money so I can grow my mobile fleet of doom!
There is enough for someone like you to do to make a living without having to fall back on other things :)
Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions Josh. I appreciate the time and all the hard work.

N810 wrote:If we do get fighter bays,
A pirate mothership camouflaged as a freighter would be pretty awesome. :idea:

And for just this very reason Docking Bays and Carriers in the voting polls must win XD.

Online Now