Return to “General”

Re: Oculus Rift support?

titan1978 wrote:I have ordered the Rift Dev kit :) Hopefully I'll be the lucky few to get the early prototype and SDK coming Jan -can help test if you do decide to support it.
So far, I'm chipping in for Strike Suit Zero which does get OR support when it comes out in a couple of months - sure would love to see OR in LT - this game is gorgeous!
the rift was the first thing i ever saw on KS and its lead me to all the cool games ive backed so far. im looking forward to it (the rift) to become more common feature n games as they have done a splendid job with it.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

great to see this already here as I was just about to post it :)

Hmm a few of the latest games have been looking at utilising the new virtual reality headset that was funded on kickstarter called the occulus rift (Miner Wars, Doom 3, Hawken)

Oculus Rift details:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152 ... o-the-game

"What I've got now, is, I honestly think the best VR demo probably the world has ever seen."
John Carmack, id Software

"Needless to say, I'm a believer... We're extremely excited here at Epic Games to get the Unreal Engine integrated with Oculus."
Cliff Bleszinski, Design Director Epic Games

"I think this will be the coolest way to experience games in the future. Simply that... that big."
David Helgason, CEO Unity

"I’m really looking forward to getting a chance to program with it and see what we can do.”
Michael Abrash, Valve

"It looks incredibly exciting, if anybody’s going to tackle this set of hard problems, we think that Palmer’s going to do it. So we’d strongly encourage you to support this Kickstarter.”
Gabe Newell, President and Owner Valve

Conti027 wrote:Not sure if I'll pick up the rift yet mostly because I don't know much about what the final product will be like and how it will work with games that don't support it. Like can you still use it like a monitor strapped to your head. lol
The dev kit will most certainly be underpowered and less cooler looking than the commercial version. But the commercial is still a while away from release, and the early birds are either the lot who want to try it out ASAP and not wait so long or they're devs like me who want to get into its nuts and bolts and possibly chip in as a part of dev community and get an early jump start on things.

On the note of having stock cockpits, was wondering if it might be possible for Josh to do something similar to giving us the pieces for a ship and letting us built one. Could he also give us the pieces for a cockpit and let us build that, let us put the frame where we want, windows the shape we want, a bunch of buttons and knobs and big red handles and all that jazz? It wouldn't be interactive I assume but it could look cool, even put your own colour schemes in, lighting maybe? Black dash with neon red lighting, not bad eh ;)
The enemy of my enemy dies next.

Just a brainfart... But if it was possible to re-arrange the compass and other information on the screen... And Josh would have a transparant cockpit.png that gets overlayed to the screen... Perhaps people could create their own cockpits by drawing a new cockpit.png ?

No idea at all if something like this would be possible.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Heyho Josh,

at first, just let me say I am really proud of you for doing this project with so much commitment. I really love to read your dev logs - I read them every day and they are very inspirational (and funny :-)).

Also I am a user of Nvidia 3D Vision tech (stereo 3D) and soon to be owner of an Occulus Rift (hopefully). I really think that stereo 3D done right is an absolute immersion and game changer (see Helixmod Project to get best support for games and lots of info on how to adjust shaders to work perfectly with 3D vision: http://helixmod.wikispot.org/Front_Page). The Occulus Rift might bring this to an even compelety mindblowing level (there's custom mader driver made by Cyberreality on the MTS3D boards already: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15570).

If I had a wish for Limit Theory, it would be 3D Vision and Occulus Rift support, so I just humbly add my voice here. Also I think actually you might have tremendous fun testing out these technologies, it's usually a real eye opener testing those litle wonders out the first time (with good equipment and some time to adjust oneself to it).

As I just read you're doing post-proecessing stuff right now and plan to have the game view as a widget, I feel some trouble rising with stereo 3D compatibility (it's usually in window and post processing stuff not working properly unless specifically adjusted), so perhaps you might have a little eye on this aspect to. Well, even if not, just continue the excellent work, you rock.

Online Now