Return to “General”

Seeds and saves?

I am curious, what is the plan for saves? Let's say you define a seed universe, play for a while, get a bunch of cool stuff, and save....What happens if you load up that save? Does it automagically remember all the stuff you've done, or had?

I imagine, now that I am thinking seriously about it, that this is a dumb question, and multiple saves (for each seed) would make a lot of sense, and it would save your status in that seed.....
Re: Seeds and saves?

JTD121 wrote:I am curious, what is the plan for saves? Let's say you define a seed universe, play for a while, get a bunch of cool stuff, and save....What happens if you load up that save? Does it automagically remember all the stuff you've done, or had?

I imagine, now that I am thinking seriously about it, that this is a dumb question, and multiple saves (for each seed) would make a lot of sense, and it would save your status in that seed.....
From what Josh has posted on the forums it seems like it will be a save system without limits, you'll get to save and load whenever from whenever.
JoshParnell wrote: I do hope that casual players will enjoy LT as well as hardcore players. Keep in mind that, since this is single-player, you can save at any time and reload later..so you'll never be forced into ridiculously long missions!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31#p272
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

New seed = new game = starting at 0. (Although there was the suggestion that you should be able to port something from one game into another (like your ship, and even some credits), and Josh responded favourably to it.)

Therefore, a save game from universe A would be useless in universe B (and yes, the save game is going to record your progress, what you've seen and done, whom you met, how the universe changed and developed, etc).

Whether Limit Theory will allow you to keep multiple save games (for the same universe), and to fall back on an earlier save game, I don't know. But at least theoretically nothing should prevent you from backing up your save game(s) somewhere, which means that you'd also be able to keep them.

But does the game remember the changes you've done to the universe? Or will the changes be reset once you load the last saved game? For example, if I spent hours destroying/cleaning out an asteroid field to place my space station in (don't ask me why, just an example :lol:), I would prefer to come back to that area exactly the way I left it before...clean and without asteroids so I could pick up where I left off and start moving my stuff there. It was one of the downsides of the X universe. Coming back into the game, I always found my space station attached to one (or several) asteroids and a large explosion usually follows right after...
In Josh we trust.

TanC wrote:But does the game remember the changes you've done to the universe? Or will the changes be reset once you load the last saved game? For example, if I spent hours destroying/cleaning out an asteroid field to place my space station in (don't ask me why, just an example :lol:), I would prefer to come back to that area exactly the way I left it before...clean and without asteroids so I could pick up where I left off and start moving my stuff there. It was one of the downsides of the X universe. Coming back into the game, I always found my space station attached to one (or several) asteroids and a large explosion usually follows right after...
Would be kind of pointless to have the whole grand procedural dynamic universe thing and not saving the changes you make to it.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

TanC wrote:But does the game remember the changes you've done to the universe? Or will the changes be reset once you load the last saved game?
To quote the post just above yours:
Commander McLane wrote:and yes, the save game is going to record your progress, what you've seen and done, whom you met, how the universe changed and developed, etc
The only open question is the level of detail with which the changes will be recorded. It's open in the sense of: we don't know yet. I'd probably not expect to see each scratch your laser made on every asteroid to be faithfully reproduced.

Commander McLane wrote:
TanC wrote:But does the game remember the changes you've done to the universe? Or will the changes be reset once you load the last saved game?
To quote the post just above yours:
Commander McLane wrote:and yes, the save game is going to record your progress, what you've seen and done, whom you met, how the universe changed and developed, etc
The only open question is the level of detail with which the changes will be recorded. It's open in the sense of: we don't know yet. I'd probably not expect to see each scratch your laser made on every asteroid to be faithfully reproduced.
No, only because lasers currently don't actually leave scratches on asteroids. But you should expect everything to be faithfully reproduced. All changes that you've made to the world!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:No, only because lasers currently don't actually leave scratches on asteroids. But you should expect everything to be faithfully reproduced. All changes that you've made to the world!
This. Is. Awesome! :D
In Josh we trust.

I was kinda looking forward to using my blaster-cannons to write my name on an asteroid...or leaving an arrow pointing to my secret base entrance that I mined out of a 17 billion ton asteroid I found floating around, lol. Hmm...now I have a question, back to the index!
"The end is always coming, and the beginning will never come back..." --Nutty

Online Now