Return to “General”

Re: Dying

Victor Tombs wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:21 am
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:59 am
Flatfingers wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:43 pm
Speaking of recovering from ship destruction: how did Freelancer do it?

Maybe just do that.
In singleplayer you reload from last (auto)save, in multiplayer you respawn at the last station you docked at
I'd have no problems living with that, Flat and Cornflakes. :D :angel:
I would have strong issues with that.

Chaotic battles could be completely unplayable because whether or not you are able to win, the player might be shot down or rammed into. Even if it's playable what if the first 4 times you do the battle you get randomly killed?

It's a stupid mechanic that makes engaging in combat personally needlessly frustrating.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:40 am
It's a stupid mechanic that makes engaging in combat personally needlessly frustrating.
Then include an escape pod mechanism like i already suggested multiple times?

i also wonder how you play any game but eve.
Do you just ragequit at the first "you died"?

Black--Snow wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:40 am
what if the first 4 times you do the battle you get randomly killed?
git gud scrub.

You try again and do better next time.

CSE wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:45 am
Indeed most space faring species have converged to a hybrid solution, where the body of the crew is taken care of on a planet, but the attention and intelligence is remotely controlling the ship, residing on circuitry and having real time resonance thanks to quantum coupled hubs.

Did you ever get a chance to read ThymineC's posts on Worker and Executive NPCs and Mind Acceleration? ;)

His contributions to the Death in LT poll were also applicable.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:59 am
Flatfingers wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:43 pm
Speaking of recovering from ship destruction: how did Freelancer do it?

Maybe just do that.
In singleplayer you reload from last (auto)save, in multiplayer you respawn at the last station you docked at

Works for me.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:49 am

Then include an escape pod mechanism like i already suggested multiple times?

i also wonder how you play any game but eve.
Do you just ragequit at the first "you died"?
No, because with those games, there's no reason to let you keep playing rather than reloading. With LT, your fleet is actually more important than you are.

I also tend to avoid games that have mechanics allowing for what is basically insta-death no matter how you're going (I.E. even if you're super winning you can get one shot).
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:37 am
With LT, your fleet is actually more important than you are.
:? What fleet? It's very unlikely I will be playing the game you are intent on playing, Snow. I don't remember having any sort of fleet in Freelancer. I was always under the impression that LT would be playable in a variety of ways. All this fleet malarkey sounds like a game I would derive little enjoyment from. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:19 am
Black--Snow wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:37 am
With LT, your fleet is actually more important than you are.
:? What fleet? It's very unlikely I will be playing the game you are intent on playing, Snow. I don't remember having any sort of fleet in Freelancer. I was always under the impression that LT would be playable in a variety of ways. All this fleet malarkey sounds like a game I would derive little enjoyment from. :angel:
Sure, but having a continue rather than an auto-load from save is not damaging to your experience. Lacking one is damaging to how I want to play. :P

I must have missed Corn's escape pod mention earlier.

Online Now