Return to “Games”

Re: Stonehearth (Kickstarter)

I've backed this one as well. I love Timber and Stone and this looks very similar to me. I'm not one to support just one game in a given genre (I backed Limit Theory, Star Citizen, and Elite as well for example) and these games are great. Stonehearth has some nice looking features but I have to keep reminding myself that while it may look better then Timber and Stone in some areas Timber and Stone is out now and will continue to be updated between now and the Estimated Sept. 2014 launch date of Stonehearth (assuming no release delays which is rarely the case for kickstarters). It will be very interesting to see how they compare when both are actually released. Great times for indy gamers!

It is a good sign that games like these are getting made. Sure gives me a good alternative to Sim City 5. ;)

Despite the similarities, I'd still like to think that T&S is different from Stonehearth fundamentally. One more focused on the individuals in the village and more roguelike-survivalesque while the other is more focused on the city-building aspect of it. But yes, there's some time for T&S to realign if it needs to so it'll be interesting to see what comes out of the competition.
In Josh we trust.

TanC wrote:It is a good sign that games like these are getting made. Sure gives me a good alternative to Sim City 5. ;)
Don't get me started on that POS. Was a die-hard SC fan up through SC4. I ended up buying Cities in Motion 2 shortly thereafter and haven't gone back since. While it's not exactly the same thing, it delivers on far more than SC5, and is enjoyable enough that I can forgive it for not being a proper city building.

Back to being on-topic;

Yeah, I'm glad games like this are being made.

@Asmodai
I ended up backing Timber and Stone as well, despite my words on that thread. ;)
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

TanC wrote:Despite the similarities, I'd still like to think that T&S is different from Stonehearth fundamentally. One more focused on the individuals in the village and more roguelike-survivalesque while the other is more focused on the city-building aspect of it. But yes, there's some time for T&S to realign if it needs to so it'll be interesting to see what comes out of the competition.
I think they'll diverge more than converge. For example I think Timber and Stone is always going to be a single player roguelike (no peaceful mode, no reloads) and they put the first person adventurer mode in. Stonehearth by the end of the kickstarter I believe will likely have multiplayer, a peaceful mode, and they've said their saving first person play for a separate game (one that uses Stonehearth created worlds). Also if' you've played Timber and Stone I believe the long term plan is for that initial "global" map where you select where you want to locate your settlement before generating a "local" map is going to come back into play beyond that first choice. I believe AI settlements will be created for you to trade and war with and you will be able to run multiple "local" maps yourself. That's probably not going to happen in the next year but I'm pretty sure that's where he's heading and I don't believe Stonehearth has a similar mechanic planned (though I could be wrong).

Well, I've not been following the comments/answers by the devs but if they plan on continuing the PayPal funding after the KS I'm pretty sure they could reach the $1M goal. Pretty happy that they got more than what they wanted, now I hope they will not turn their backs on the backers and actually start delivering on what they promised.
In Josh we trust.

Online Now