Return to “Games”

Re: Homeworld Franchise

Aye, I'm replaying the campaign on my original discs, and I'm doing the same. :P It's about to get... intense. I am using this whole remastering business as an excuse to buy cataclysm too. I find it interesting that used versions on amazon are comparable in price to the new remastered version which has both the first AND second games in one. Plus the originals. :wtf: I find it hard to believe that Cata was THAT good.
Libertas per Technica

You're probably right. I found the same thing to be true with old copies of System Shock 2 before it got put on steam. Supply and demand is a b***, and demand for it probably shot up due to the rerelease, though it was about the same price when I was thinking of buying it a few years back. I wanted to buy it for the story; I don't think anybody thought HW2's was on par with the expectation. It isn't like there are loads of recently released games that interest me to splurge on, so I thought completing the trilogy would be cool. Not like I am going to shell out twice that for Destiny or whatever. ;)
Libertas per Technica

Yeah some of the Homeworld missions still require me to pause and take a half hour break to fix my nerves, the idea of permanent losses being brought over to the next mission was amazing.
Nothing else I have ever played in terms of mission based strategic/tactical games has bought this level of tension.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
qRogue v0.0.9

Silverware wrote:Yeah some of the Homeworld missions still require me to pause and take a half hour break to fix my nerves, the idea of permanent losses being brought over to the next mission was amazing.
Nothing else I have ever played in terms of mission based strategic/tactical games has bought this level of tension.
I know exactly what you mean. I wince every time I lose a frigate - heck, I wince every time I lose an interceptor in HW1. But I think it's made up for somewhat by mining out the map for an hour after completing objectives.

Heh, it's usually worth it if you can capture the carrier on mission 5.
Remember doing that for the first time in the original, and by god that was a good feeling.

Gotta restart that one too, had an entirely wrong formation and the first two waves of assault frigates tore up too many of my interceptors.
May have to miss out on capturing them, and bring the ions in a little earlier to try and minimize my losses.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
qRogue v0.0.9

I remember doing it in the original game, when I was like 12 or 13.
Was a huge boon early on.

Too bad that we don't have the tactical jump possibility in campaign that we have in skirmish.
Would make that carrier incredibly useful!

Although at the worst you can recycle it and turn it into food for more Multi-gun corvettes!
(Yes I have a huge hardon for Multigun corvettes, and Multibeam frigates!)
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
qRogue v0.0.9

Apart from their carrier (?), Turanic raiders aren't much good imo. Fighters suck, corvettes suck, and... they don't have anything else?? Oh right, ion array frigates, which I always thought were cool. Wouldn't mind those.

Pity about the Kadeshi though. I suppose they don't have much variety. Didn't the Kadeshi have multi-beam frigates as well?

The other thing with Cata is the source code has AFAIK been lost. My understanding is that Somtaaw took a level in badass and could pretty much dominate anyone else after the events of Cata if they wanted to. Didn't they have fighters with ion beams at one point?

Online Now