Return to “Games”

Re: Homeworld Remastered

Arclite wrote:While I've been waiting for Josh to come out of his hermit hole and give us an LT update, I've decided to satiate my space jones' by picking up Homeworld Remastered. So far, it is really an excellent update to that classic RTS. Similar to LT, HW is all about atmosphere. The gorgeous visuals and atmospheric music and sound effects are a potent combination. Gameplay is very different of course. HW is a linear single player RTS campaign, not an open world sandbox game. Still, it's got space gameplay to spare, and is tons of fun.

Homeworld has some of the best ship design in any media in the last 20 years. Here's some of the concept art, obviously inspired by the fantastic Chris Foss. Love that asymmetry, and the color scheme. Hope that Josh can get something similar into LT once he starts to get serious on ship and station design.
Ah, didn't see the Games section at the very bottom.
Re: Homeworld Franchise

I really want to like these... I really do, but at the end of the day I meet the same problem in the remastered version that I met when I played the originals all that time ago. The maps just don't feel big enough. Even the largest maps don't. I know that isn't really an issue with the game exactly, but I hate having a game like that with all it's amazing potential but damn... map boundaries. This is why I want LT so much, because I don't want to be forced into combat because I'm playing in a small little region that just has enough resources to build a force expressly to use to combat the opponent. (Keep in mind I never played the story as I'm not really big on campaigns and story in games)

Also the movement controls seemed slightly buggy to me, as if it wasn't registering my clicks and at times not registering the orders when it was clear the click was registered. E.g. telling a ship to go one direction and it going another. Definitely seems to need some patchwork. Other than that it's still a solid game. It's no LT though.

I hear that the AI and the formations don't work properly, as well as the whole shebang being HW1 rebuilt in the HW2 engine, with more omissions than stuff done right. Anyone of the early adopters care to elaborate on that?

-Hardenberg
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Formations work fine, AI works fine.

Older Style single fighters facing off against fighter wings, does not.
The wings focus their fire, the single fighters, even in a large formation do not.

However the older ships also have all the support ships, providing a HUGE level of combat repair capability.
The newer ships are not capable of combat repair really, the harvesters are too weak in both structure and repair speed to be useful for that.

Older ships don't need a hyperdrive module to jump, so everything frigate sized and up can jump to anywhere on the map easily.
Newer ships only have a few that can do that.

Basically it comes down to the fact that HW1 and HW2 ships follow VERY different game-play philosophies.

But in the way of gameplay for HW1?
Not a single, frakking, thing is wrong.
It's as amazing as it was when I was a kid, playing it at the dawn of the millennium.
It has a facelift and that's about it.

As for maps not feeling large enough, wait a month please. The modders have all sorts of capabilities they never had before. And in HW1 the mapsizes *were* small, but now they need not be, I agree, but the arena style of them makes for good conflict, else most of the time you have tiny scout skirmishes and nothing else.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
qRogue v0.0.9

Haven't played skirmish yet but Silverware's response makes heaps of sense. I was surprised playing HW1R last night at the time it took for my large fighter wings to destroy individual targets in campaign, when I was mechanically more used to HW2's focussing mechanisms for wings. I can certainly see balancing being a problem in the multiplayer beta.

How would they balance? Would they change unit costs and caps or tweak attack and armour values on Kushani/Taiidani fleets? Which would be better?

My suggestion would be to make the the skirmish modes for each of HW1R and HW2R only contain the races from those games.

While Multiplayer should contain all races and they should make use of a equal footing idea.
Where the single fighters get replaced with the same units in swarms, and support vehicles either get dropped for HW1 races or added for HW2 races.

Multiplayer should FEEL like a different game, with a different balance point.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
qRogue v0.0.9

They actually said in a video at one point (can't remember which one) where balancing was one of the hardest parts of this whole remastering process. Which makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Sadly though sometimes you really cannot balance things and a perpetual attempt to balance can just make things less fun in the long run. It isn't like a Blizzard RTS where they set it up for uberbalancing and competitive play right from the outset.

Graphics and sound are nice but fairly dissapointed that formations do not work as they did in the classic version, this changes the game somewhat as I used formations fairly exclusively in the original. I'll probably forge ahead anyway and consider it a new challenge, look at it with fresh eyes as if new to the game.

Formations actually do work quite well.
Been playing some more, and some HW1 race only skirmishes, and while the enemy AI is as noob as ever, the formatons work rather well for the original craft.

Less rigid than the original, but that gives them a little more mobility to dodge out of the way of an incoming shot.
So I don't know exactly what players are complaining about anymore.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
qRogue v0.0.9

Online Now