Return to “Games”

Starbound

:D

Starbound is literally the bestest spacey side-scroller out there. :D
Possibly better than real life!
"You’ve fled your home, only to find yourself lost in space with a damaged ship. Your only option is to beam down to the planet below, repair your ship and set off to explore the universe..." ~ Steam Description

Today, June 13, 2019, they have released update 1.4, which adds bounty hunters and new music and new monsters and new this and new that and BUGFIXES!? :shock:
Get it on Steam, GoG, HumbleBundle, and... apparently nowhere else. :ghost:

Is game. Is space. Is side-scroller. Is $15 USD. Is great. Buy it. :twisted:
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:
Re: Starbound

I have given patch 1.4.3 a good test run.
Last I played before this was with patch 1.3, months ago.

I am positively impressed.
At long last they have cured the performance problems of the game, for real. Whether I visit the Outpost, a heavily populated colony or a large settlement on some planet my game stutters no more. It plays smooth all the time.
This fact alone warrants the upgrade for me :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

However, the memory leak issue caused by the use of the Pixel Printer still exists.
To be honest, looks to me that they did something to mitigate it as well and, while not cured, it no longer eats 6 GB of RAM in under 10 minutes.
It is no big deal anyway...
The Pixel Printer is an advanced crafting station the use of which is completely optional. And if a Player wants to use it, s/he then just needs to Save & Quit and quit to Windows.
With all memory released, launch Starbound again and resume exactly from where s/he left.

I noticed a bunch of new monsters, and I believe I saw one of the new "rare" monsters that can be captured. Too bad I had no capturing device with me.

I cannot comment on the world generation because I did not visit any new planet.
Also I cannot comment on the Bounty Hunter thing because I had no time to start that too.

Guess I will can my current playthrough and begin a new one. Maybe create a Novakid this time around.

-fox

Online Now