Return to “Games”

Re: Kickstarter: Homeworld Touch and Homeworld 3

JoshParnell wrote:As exciting as it is to see HW again, I'm really skeptical about the IP situation...I don't think $50K is going to be enough to buy or even license an IP as popular as Homeworld...am I missing something?? :?
I don't know really... I'm also not sure how much work it would be to port code to other devices. If I'm cynical I say:

They might have a deal where a % of all future sales goes to the IP holders. That way they don't take any risks but have the possibility of some nice returns. Or, the IP holder might be involved already, using kickstarter as an extra source of money.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote:Personally I'm not attracted to touch devices at all... I'd rather play homeworld again on my tv through steam on linux.
They hope to also remaster and rerelease HW and HW2 on Steam and GOG.

Honestly I'm also fairly sceptical about their chances of securing the IP but they are offering a money-back guarantee. Even without such a guarantee, I'll take the risk if it means I might be able to play HW3 on my Mac and HW on my iPad. I like the thought of sitting back on the sofa or lazing in bed for a mega HW session.

On the kickstarter page they allude to other backers. Could well be they have extra financing lined up to buy the IP but they need to show there's demand for more HW games before the financiers will step up with the cash.
Experiencing a significant gravitas shortfall

Katorone wrote:How can they give the money back when Amazon & paypal are taking their cuts first?
Worst case, you'll get 15% less than you put in.
"If we are unable to license and produce the project, we will refund your donation. teamPixel will even cover any campaign fees so you don't have to."

Talk is cheap and all that, but these guys have promised to refund backers in full if the IP cannot be licensed. I'm not affiliated with these guys and, as I've stated, I have plenty of reservations about their ability to deliver. However I'm willing to take a risk and give them a chance.
Experiencing a significant gravitas shortfall

Yeah, Homeworld 3 is worth a bit of risk I think :) Hopefully they know what they're doing.
Katorone wrote:How can they give the money back when Amazon & paypal are taking their cuts first?
Worst case, you'll get 15% less than you put in.
Amazon is nice enough to rescind the fee for refunds. Doubt Kickstarter would do the same, but still, at least you're down to only 5% loss. Shrug...
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now