Return to “Games”

Chasm - A Procedurally Generated Metroidvania

I backed this game on Kickstarter in 2013 because I absolutely love the "Metroidvania" genre of games, and I have to say, they've been one of the more reliable groups in terms of production that I've seen. They're delivering a beautiful, polished product within a reasonable amount of time, and have been very responsive when it comes to the community.

So, Chasm is a single-player platformer action-RPG, very similar to Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, with procedurally generated layouts of the dungeon. The plotline remains largely the same, as do the order that you do must of the game in terms of playing through its areas, (Mine, Catacombs, Garden, and Castle Keep. (Maybe more?)) but the layout of each of these areas will always be different when you create a new character. You go around exploring, finding captured villagers that will then aid you in your journey, finding puzzle items, gaining items that help you move around, (The ground sliding ability, a double jump, etc.) and a cog that fits onto a mineshaft elevator device to let you descend further into the mines. The game has plenty of save rooms between "groups" of rooms, and even warp rooms so you don't have to do as much walking.

So I'm happy to say that their release is just around the corner! On July 31st, this very month, we'll be able to buy it for about $20 (I think) and enjoy it. I've been playing a backer demo that was made one or two years ago, and it plays beautifully. They also just implemented land-canceling attack animations when you jump, just like in Symphony of the Night and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, so I'm very excited about that. It's always been a huge part of my gameplay style.

Take a look at the trailer.
Welcome to Limit Theory where everything is procedural and the post count doesn't matter. ~Grumblesaur
12 FPS on your abacus? Sheesh, check out Mr Moneybags here. I can squeeze maybe 5 FPS out of my potato, and that's when I'm overclocking it. ~ThymineC
Re: Chasm - A Procedurally Generated Metroidvania

Talvieno wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:56 am
ShadowTiger!!! :D I haven't seen you in forever! I hope you're doing well! :)
Talvieno! Image Always a pleasure! Such a charming and delightful reaction to come back! I'm a very happy nobody-in-particular right now, thanks to such a greeting. Oh my. I'm always lurking about. Can never forget about the wonderful people here, present company included.
The last Metroidvania I played through was Axiom Verge, and it was epic. This one looks pretty awesome, too. :) I'll be keeping an eye on it after release, and may snag it for a looksee.
Axiom Verge was a formidable entry in the Metroidvania genre. It was a bit strange, but sometimes the strangest things become strangely amiable and victorious in their endeavors.

I'm pretty sure that Chasm will quickly gather a place on every gamer's mantle. It feels rock solid with a great engine, meaningful equipment and purchaseables, lots of things to do in the dungeons, a variety of places to go and rooms to traverse, that feeling of uncertainty when exploring, and an abundance of replayability, hopefully. There will be at minimum thirty hours of content deliverable right to our hearts.

Eligible backers get a crack at it on the 16th. Otherwise, the 31st can't come fast enough. I need to get my jump-cancel on. >:-D
Welcome to Limit Theory where everything is procedural and the post count doesn't matter. ~Grumblesaur
12 FPS on your abacus? Sheesh, check out Mr Moneybags here. I can squeeze maybe 5 FPS out of my potato, and that's when I'm overclocking it. ~ThymineC

I missed you being around and wondered where you'd gone. Occasionally I'd check back and see if you'd posted again. I'm very happy to see you're still coming back, however infrequently. :)

I'm going to send a link of this to DWMagus. He's not very active on the forums anymore, but he still comes on IRC a lot. He's a huge metroidvania fan. He's the one that got me to play Axiom Verge and Ori and the Blind Forest. And Cave Story. And Environmental Station Alpha. And a couple others. :lol: If he doesn't know about it already, he'll probably be quite excited.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

So I've been playing the "It may as well be the released version" Beta, helping the developer, James, look for additional bugs (And not finding a single one. :D ) and I do have to say that the game is rock solid so far. As an avid fan of the Metroidvania genre, I am having an absolute blast going back and forth between places, doing what I can do, seeing what upgrades I might be able to get in town after rescuing a villager, and so on.

One of the miners I rescued just gave me a shovel that lets me dig through layers of dirt, exactly like in Mario Bros 2 on the NES in those sand levels, and I have a lantern that lights up a room like in A Link to the Past where the large orb of light is centered on you in an otherwise dark room.

There are plenty of warp places creating a network of convenient access to the surface, and a fair abundance of save rooms. Bosses have been interesting and varied, and even enemies seem to have their own "personalities" as they walk around the rooms, trying to snag a hit on you.

The droprates of items seems convenient, and the XP you get seems to match your progress very well. There are multiple varieties of weapons, just like in Symphony of the Night, and I seem to have taken a liking to the Whip type weapon. It has a conveniently long hit-box and lasts for a good amount of frames to be of sufficient use, all while retaining the ability to land-cancel your attacks.

I've been very eager to get back into it ever since I began playing it. My hopes are high that this game will have a place on my "Play again every few months" list in my Steam Library.

Online Now