Return to “Games”

Re: Starfield

It also has a title screen! :ghost:

That reveal was honestly very underwhelming.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Er... the music is nice?

I like the idea of BethSoft moving beyond just the two franchise properties. My guesses were for either SF or spy genre settings. So no objection to Starfield, assuming it's designed to be playable as a single-player offline game (otherwise no sale).

But there are still plenty of fun questions we can ask.

What does "open-world" even mean for a space game? Is "Spacerim" planned to ve a Freelancer-like game, where you can fly from place to place to shoot things (ships), trade things for better gear (bigger ships, better weapons/engines/etc.), and in the Fallout 4/76 mode, build bases (colonies)? How would Starfield being open-world distinguish it from past space games?

Lore? Ship management? Crew management? 4X features?

And will it also support fan mods?

Flatfingers wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 am
Is "Spacerim" planned to be a Freelancer-like game, where you can fly from place to place to shoot things (ships), trade things for better gear (bigger ships, better weapons/engines/etc.)
I do hope so, Flat. :)
masseffect7 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:27 am
Maybe Bethesda can fill the hole BioWare has left for a space sci-fi adventure.
A well written and exciting storyline would be most welcome, masseffect7. :thumbup:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:19 am
the first few seconds when theres actual trailer in the trailer it looks a whole lot like a freelancer nod :ghost:
Yes, it does, Cornflakes! ;)

I can only hope that I finally get a game which gives me all the elements that made Freelancer such a standout game for me. :D :angel:

Todd Howard has finally dropped some info about Starfield: https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comm ... interview/

One thing that surprises me a bit is that it may be planet-based, rather than space-oriented -- but it's hard to figure that out from the brief comment about procgen being used again to make a "bigger" map.

Howard also says "it'll be a while" yet for Starfield, and that there are like 4-5 times more staff working on it than on Skyrim. Soooooo... BIG, then.

I *REALLY* hope they get in the proper AI system they pronounced for Oblivion.
Where each AI has tasks and goals that they try to achieve, where the AI has to eat, and so does their job and trades for food to be able to eat.

With modern hardware and the next gen consoles being so much better than the current ones, and with the world loading off the shoulders of atlas as they added with Fo76, they SHOULD be able to simulate all the NPCs going about their day during the course of gameplay.
Which would lead to living worlds and economies.

I absolutely doubt they will do that though...
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:34 pm
I *REALLY* hope they get in the proper AI system they pronounced for Oblivion.
Where each AI has tasks and goals that they try to achieve, where the AI has to eat, and so does their job and trades for food to be able to eat.

With modern hardware and the next gen consoles being so much better than the current ones, and with the world loading off the shoulders of atlas as they added with Fo76, they SHOULD be able to simulate all the NPCs going about their day during the course of gameplay.
Which would lead to living worlds and economies.

[hope hope hope]

It's about a year till launch so I'm not surprised that they aren't sharing more. If you want hype then head over to Star Citizen. If you want to build your own ship then head over to Starship Evo. But if you want your own space sandbox? Probably the best that is currently out there is Elite Dangerous, and that game is exploration focused with very little to do. I have heard that No Man's Sky has come a long ways... maybe that's a better choice as a space sandbox?

I do hope we will see a Limit Theory like game in the future. Only time will tell.

Online Now