Re: Fallout 76

Silverware wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:52 pm
Flatfingers wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:43 pm
Bad news: It's an online survival RPG
We don't know that.
Kotaku are blacklisted by Bethesda.

So far the other sites are quoting Kotaku on this, so there's just the one source. I agree it's reasonable to be more tentative than I was in my original post until/unless this claim is corroborated.

Presumably that'll be part of the E3 2018 announcement.

Flatfingers wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:43 pm
Good news: Bethesda has dropped a teaser trailer for their new game, Fallout 76. :thumbup:

Bad news: It's an online survival RPG. :thumbdown:

Sorry, Victor: still no sign of the new TES game we're all waiting for....
I don't have to tell you of my total lack of interest in this game, Flat. :( I'm looking forward to more material from the Beyond Skyrim team, Nathan, but it would be nice to read something about that TES game. From what's been said by Bethesda they don't intend giving much away until it's close to the release date.

I'm seriously thinking of giving the VR version of Skyrim SE some time.

And I'm still "dancing" around the idea of playing ESO after having a conversation with Bele in IRC. I just need to get drawn into the game and forget that it's an MMO. :angel:

Flatfingers wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:11 pm
So far the other sites are quoting Kotaku on this, so there's just the one source. I agree it's reasonable to be more tentative than I was in my original post until/unless this claim is corroborated.

Presumably that'll be part of the E3 2018 announcement.
The source of the Rumor is a 4chan post by an Anon 29th December 2017, stating the name, and that it'll be a Rust clone.
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/ ... correctly/

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/401 ... #401465240
Anonymous Fri 29 Dec 2017 07:34:08 No.401465240 Report
>>401464897
fallout 76, a fallout themed Rust clone coming soon

EDIT::
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DehyjEMWsAAn3tc.jpg:large
One of the artists on Fallout is reassuring us that is *ISN'T* the direction the rumors are suggesting.

Also of note: The biggest argument against it being online? Bethesda knows they would have to patch an online game. :ghost:
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:47 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DehyjEMWsAAn3tc.jpg:large
One of the artists on Fallout is reassuring us that is *ISN'T* the direction the rumors are suggesting.

It looks to me like the artist is just reacting to having his work dismissed as a "Rust clone" by saying "wait and see." That is not actually a denial of the claim cited by Kotaku that Fallout 76 will be an online (maybe survival-themed) RPG.

Nevertheless, if it turns out that Fallout 76 is something very different from an online survival RPG, then that tells me what I need to know about how much faith to give any similar reports by Kotaku and this writer in the future.

Silverware wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:47 pm
Also of note: The biggest argument against it being online? Bethesda knows they would have to patch an online game. :ghost:

What, you mean like Elder Scrolls Online, managed by BethSoft's Zenimax sister company? The existence of ESO suggests to me that they wouldn't hate having an online game set in the world of Bethesda's other major franchise.

Again, though, June 10 should clear up most of this. (I hope.)

I hope the newest "leak" (rumor) about it isn't true, that they are not going to allow any mods outside of the creation club and will try to hide it under the guise of "Oh we are trying to protect people from stealing mods and inappropriate content so we need to curate what is allowed in game". This would be a terrible decision to make.

Besides, on PC at least there will always be a way around whatever restrictions they put in place, especially if it runs on a modified Fallout 4 engine like it supposedly is.

Flatfingers wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:54 am
What, you mean like Elder Scrolls Online, managed by BethSoft's Zenimax sister company? The existence of ESO suggests to me that they wouldn't hate having an online game set in the world of Bethesda's other major franchise.

Again, though, June 10 should clear up most of this. (I hope.)
Ah, but Zenimax Online are not mentioned anywhere in their video, just Bethesda Game Studios, the only online game any of their team worked on was Battleborn, which was stillborn.
These are the guys who release patches for Fallout and Skyrim that add creation club shit, and don't fix any of the long standing bugs that the unofficial bugfix mods touch, even though they could literally rip the code out of the mod. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

When I said "they wouldn't hate having [another] online game" I should have been clear I was referring to Zenimax proper.

I could be wrong, but it seems pretty clear to me that the suits at Zenimax call the shots. They snap their fingers based on numbers on a spreadsheet, and their downstream publisher (Bethesda) and developers (BethSoft, Zenimax Online, Id, Arkane) do as they're bid, regardless of what effect implementing those commands will have on anyone from third-party publishers to modders to gamers. Hence the shabby treatment of Human Head (the makers of the original Prey) and other devs enticed into taking Bethesda money, the "paid mods" fiasco, the Creation Club expansionism, the repeated flogging of Skyrim in new forms, and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

This isn't to say I think Zenimax are made of evil; that's silly. But past reports are enough to incline me toward believing that if the Deputy Vice President for Putting Things on Top of Other Things at Zenimax demands it, everybody has to go do it regardless of whether it actually makes any sense from the consumer's perspective. "I like the sound of this 'software as a service' business model I've been hearing about -- go do that with our Fallout franchise property."

This doesn't seem like something that could actually happen?

Maybe not; maybe I've been working in big companies for too long....

Online Now