Return to “Games”

3030 Deathwar Redux -- on Steam

3030 Deathwar Redux -- This is a game that no space-lover should miss. For real.

Part Elite, part Star Wars, part Freelancer, part Indiana Jones, part Lucas Arts... can you imagine the unholy mix? :mrgreen:
I do -- because I play it. A unique blend that creates an experience that sticks to your mind long after you turned off the monitor.

Here is the Early Access trailer (no longer available on Steam).
And here is the 1.0 Release trailer (currently on Steam).

Yes I know: it is no AAA, the graphics are ugly, blaaah [...]
Please look past its exterior. Try & see for yourself *why* those who did before you, speak so highly of it. Then join the club and wonder why this gem is not receiving the attention it deserves, as it puts to shame most competitors that are, by far, better known.
(makes you wish these guys had an AAA budget with which to remake the Redux...)
Spoiler:      SHOW
A word of caution:
You can find the old game release "3030 Deathwar" freeware on the old website of the developers. I advice you NOT to download it -- for 2 good reasons:
1) You would miss on the massive amount of improvements and added contents that are exclusive to the "Redux" Steam version. I said "massive", did I not? (just making sure you notice)
2) It would spoil the surprise, obviously.
Listen to the fox and just DON'T.
Spend a few bucks on this one. If you can look past its graphics, you will know whether you like it *well* before the 2 hours limit for requesting a refund. What have you got to lose?
Consider that not all parts of the gameplay will be revealed within the 2 hours threshold, though. The titular deathwar is but one example of it.

-fox

P.S.= Did I mention the great soundtrack that you will not stop singing & whistling all day long? (you just listened to a couple short samples in the trailers). I dare say more: you will rip its tracks and put them all in your smartphone. Wanna bet you will?

P.P.S.= Known bugs? One (1). If you play for several hours in a single session (testament to the fact that you lotta like it, btw) at some point all sounds *may* go mute. Just the sounds, not the music. It is not guaranteed to happen, but if it does: Save, Quit, Re-launch the game -> the sounds are back. Eeeasy.
Re: 3030 Deathwar Redux -- on Steam

BFett wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:16 pm
And it is $15. So I'll be waiting for this to go on sale before I pick it up.
Suit yourself. I have seen people throw more at games that offered less (or far more at games that made bold promises years ago and have yet to deliver anything substantial :ghost: )
Numbers at hand, according to Steam there is 95% of positive reviews (+181 vs. -9).
In other games this would warrant an Overwhelmingly Positive rating... but here we have a tiny amount of reviews (merely 190) and they cap it to Very Positive.
As I said, this game needs more attention -- but as long as we live in a society solely based on consensus, which this game lacks, attention will look elsewhere.

[eidt]
I would add my own review to it (therefore make it +182 vs -9), but I am disallowed to write anything anywhere since I disabled SteamGuard.

thedamngod wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:45 am
fox wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:41 am
I disabled SteamGuard.
Off-topic question:
Could you explain why you did that? Does the restriction also apply if you only enable it with an email address? If it doesn't why don't you have that enabled?
I don't want to seem negative, I am just curious :)
TL;DR
SteamGuard is an unrequested extra layer of security that is unnecessary on my home desktop (because it never kicks in), and only acts as a Denial of Service when I must connect from elsewhere.

Back when SteamGuard was active, whenever I wanted to log into my Steam account from mobile devices or machines that were not my home desktop, my attempts were blocked until I entered a code sent to my mailbox. Their security codes have never been delivered within acceptable times, not even once, effectively denying the service to me. The straw that broke the proverbial camel's back has been when I lost a deal during a sale, because I could not login. I rage-disabled SteamGuard from home and never looked back.
Besides, all my user accounts where money is involved are gated behind extremely strong passwords that there is no chance to guess. You are me and know them, or you stay out -- try as you might.

Thanks for the answer.
But you should consider that 2FA exists for a very good reason and that Steam (and other) accounts can hold a significant value.
In regard to the mails I never had problems, but since I am using the more secure variant with the app I can't remember any problems.
Back when SteamGuard was active, whenever I wanted to log into my Steam account from mobile devices or machines that were not my home desktop, my attempts were blocked until I entered a code sent to my mailbox.
It's working exactly as intended ;)

fox wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:20 pm
Back when SteamGuard was active, whenever I wanted to log into my Steam account from mobile devices or machines that were not my home desktop, my attempts were blocked until I entered a code sent to my mailbox. Their security codes have never been delivered within acceptable times, not even once, effectively denying the service to me.
i have no idea how you did that.
i have the messages faster than i can alt+tab to my mail client

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 am
fox wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:20 pm
Back when SteamGuard was active, whenever I wanted to log into my Steam account from mobile devices or machines that were not my home desktop, my attempts were blocked until I entered a code sent to my mailbox. Their security codes have never been delivered within acceptable times, not even once, effectively denying the service to me.
i have no idea how you did that.
i have the messages faster than i can alt+tab to my mail client
Please do not imply that I did something just because your situation does not mirror mine. Thank you.

I have done nothing. Actually, before turning off SteamGuard, I changed mailbox 4 (four) times in -what- 7 months? Twice it was a mailbox from an ISP based in my country. One time it was a French mailbox. And the last one was based in the very U.S.A. -- Always the security codes from Steam would be hours late, while other e-mails got relayed in real-time (including those purposely sent from me to me while waiting for the codes). I would say that the problem was not on my end.
To stay on topic, 3030 Deathwar Redux is an entertaining game worth a good look, at least.
As I said, with this game you will know before the 2 hours threshold whether you want to keep it or not.
You do not like it? -> Refund is a valid option.

fox wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:10 pm
3030 Deathwar Redux -
Thanks Fox, bought it :D

I love the Steam vid, and especially the music... and most of all, this epitomises the ship control I want to emulate in the "python" game I want to write. :monkey:
I love the fact that it's only 500 Mbytes, which I much rather to the Terabyte-sized games out there these days.
As for the graphics? It reminds me of Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards.
LOL, amazing the memories that the first 10 seconds of this video (i.e. the music, and the animation) revive. :clap:

P.S. Fox, thank you so much - played the first 10 minutes, until I finished chatting with the officer (no spoilers for those who don't know), and I love it. The ship flying is so cool, the hyperwarp etc., I can't wait to play more of this.. but it will be Saturday/ Sunday eve before I can.. ooh, I could squish a grape!
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now