Return to “Games”

Space Rangers

I was digging through my old CD-ROM collection and happened upon my copies of Space Rangers 1 and 2. I used to play these all the time, but it seems these old gems have been forgotten. You were an agent of the galactic government, a loose coalition of squabbling races united mainly by the threat of an extragalactic enemy. There was an overarching story focusing on ending these threats, but it was always possible to take your ship and go explore areas of the galaxy you hadn't been in, or trade (taking advantage of the supply/demand economy!) or even become a space pirate and completely ignore the story. In many ways these games are the reason I'm even here, as they were what got me into freeform space games. Sadly they seem to be difficult to find these days, especially for a reasonable price. If you can find them, however, I'd highly recommend them- they're excellent examples of sandbox space games (even with the occasional mistranslation...)
Re: Space Rangers

Jaga wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:41 pm
SR2 was highly entertaining. Well, 90% of it was, with the exception of the ground capture missions. Fortunately they were totally optional.
SR2 was definitely the best of the series, but I have to agree that the RTS missions pretty much all sucked lol. It was still an impressively deep game anyway. I really liked how it was possible to so completely change your entire game experience just by manipulating the starting conditions (character class, starting equipment, race, etc.)

Online Now