Return to “Games”

From The Depths

I'm surprised (and rather shocked) that we don't have a topic on this game yet.

Basically, you build ships - spaceships, sailing ships, fighters, bombers, stealth craft, battleships, aircraft carriers, patrol boats, destroyers, airships, submarines, etc. etc. etc. From there it plays like an RTS, until you get into combat, at which point it's a tactical game where you command your ships (or let them do their own thing through AI). It's a lot of fun. :) I thought someone here might be interested. Still in early access, but there's enough meat and polish on it to qualify as a full game. (Developer is very active, too.)

Also, might I mention that absolutely everything in the game is extremely customizable? Engines, turrets, missiles, ammo, you name it. It's also worth noting, though, that it has a very steep learning curve. Your ships will probably suck for a while until you really get the hang of it, but there's an in-depth tutorial on all the different topics you can think of. Not a game for someone that doesn't like tinkering.

Here it is on Steam for $20. Got it in a sale for $6, and it would've even been worth $30.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Re: From The Depths

I've had this game for a long time but everytime I've played it I've found the usability to be severely lacking. The construction system isn't very intuitive and unless you really like nitty gritty mechanics and building it just isn't that fun as a game. The idea is extremely solid, the execution not so much.

TGS wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:07 pm
I've had this game for a long time but everytime I've played it I've found the usability to be severely lacking. The construction system isn't very intuitive and unless you really like nitty gritty mechanics and building it just isn't that fun as a game. The idea is extremely solid, the execution not so much.
This is a large part of why I like it: The complicated mechanics permit a wide variety of options. I have built, for instance, undersea bases that launch swarms of tiny ships armed with nothing more than a harpoon missile and a nuke. As soon as they get above water, they latch on to the nearest heat source with their harpoon, reel themselves in, and explode. I've built undersea "pads" of spikes that raise themselves to the surface when a ship is above them (terrifyingly effective) and submarine sticks that lay enormous minefields on the surface. (Obviously, I like undersea things. :D ) Another of my inventions was a ship armed with spikes/rams that sat below water, fired harpoons at nearby ships and planes, and then proceeded to pull them into the depths, where the spikes shredded them.

Also created the Rick and Morty flying saucer. :ghost:

My more mundane creations include various ships, planes, and submarines, but they're not as fun to talk about. :D I would recommend a thorough read/play of the tutorial before you begin, though - otherwise you may have a great deal of trouble getting into it.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Black--Snow, Silverware and I did some multiplayer last night. No screenshots, but we did have a lot of zany fun showing our ships to each other (and then making fun of them, and then blowing them up). We also shot each other a lot for no real reason other than... it was fun. :P Interestingly, we didn't really do much building. Silverware was the only one that did that. I think if we decided to start in campaign mode we'd probably be more likely to "get somewhere" with it, but overall, it was pretty cool. Black--Snow has a few particularly cool ships he's made. I think my favorite part was when Silverware set missile warhead arming delay to 0 on the submarine he was building. (In other words, they blow up before they can leave the launcher.) It immediately nuked his sub.

unrelated edit: Probably my weirdest creation:
(despite lack of blur, it is actually spinning very rapidly.)

Talvieno wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:55 pm
Another post, just because. Also to see if anyone would be interested in MP on Friday or Saturday.

And, a look at the ship I made a couple weeks ago:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Stormhold

The Limit Theory Bar & Lounge (inside Stormhold)
Wow that is really neat Talv. Impressive ship. Love it. I might actually have to give the game a try again, it's been quite awhile since I've tried it.

I love this game! Unfortunately I'm not very good at building boats. I waste all my time optimizing each component and end up with an inefficient hull design. And then when I put weapons on it it moves too slowly, and pitches back and forth even when I spend 2 hours messing with the center of mass and positioning of the propellers. It's still a lot of fun though, and I have spent a lot of time trying to defeat enemy ships twice my size in the testing mode.
Libertas per Technica

Online Now