We Happy Few - PCG+Handcrafted

So here is a a video from GDC2017 describing the mix of Procedural generation and Handcrafted-but-flexible assets to create a rather beautiful environment. What caught my attention was how they filled in the negative spaces that PCG left with filler buildings that were somewhat flexible in their dimensions and could be somewhat "squished" into the available space without looking too out of place.

The video and game have other merits as well, but I just thought it an interesting take to have flexible handcrafted assets that have different tolerance thresholds for covering up the inherent rigidity of PCG. It's an approach I think could be pursued more often and allow more games to take advantage of that PCG goodness we all know and love.

It also got me wondering if something similar may be applicable to aspects of LT, in mods of course.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now