Return to “Games”

Re: Wing Commander Series on Sale

ThymineC wrote:The Wing Commander series (and other games) is on sale on GOG right now. Link here.

My mum just transferred £200 to my account...

Hm. :think:
They are certainly entertaining games Thymine and at sale prices on GOG you can't go wrong. The Wing Commander series will keep you busy for a while. :thumbup:

It's none of my business but try not to blow all that money on games. I am sure your mum had other things in mind when she generously transferred it. ;) :)
Re: Shadowrun Dragonfall Directors Cut steam sale

Lemme ask a question, if I may, please.

What is the primary appeal of this game? If you had to describe this game closer to a game like Fallout 1 or 2, or Neverwinter Nights but turn-based, which would it be?

To what level of interactivity is there? Are there ever any light-switches you can toggle, or shelves you can check for loot?

Because I played ten minutes of the first base game, and felt oddly disappointed with it. Do you think it's worth checking out again?
Welcome to Limit Theory where everything is procedural and the post count doesn't matter. ~Grumblesaur
12 FPS on your abacus? Sheesh, check out Mr Moneybags here. I can squeeze maybe 5 FPS out of my potato, and that's when I'm overclocking it. ~ThymineC

ShadowTiger

Shadowrun appeals more to the old-skool turn-based RPGs that used to abound. It's more about putting a graphical front-end to some very basic pen-and-paper style games. In fact, before I ran into Neverwinter Nights, I thought all 'true' RPGs were like this. Think X-Com (UFO) but in a cyberpunk fantasy style.

What also confuses some people is that many believe that RPG = Action RPG (in the style of Neverwinter or similar) and go with that. The genre definitely has shifted.

But to answer your question outright, if you didn't care for the base game, you probably won't like this one. When I got back into Shadowrun, it was difficult at first because I had many misconceptions about what it should be. I still love it because... Shadowrun!
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Ah, thank you for the reply. I would normally take it for what it is, (The game, I mean, and my brief experience with it) but I have a friend with fairly similar tastes in gaming as myself who repeatedly insists that I try it out. Unceasingly. It makes me feel like I should be liking it a lot more than I am.

This may be similar to insisting that a person who swears by white chocolate is missing out on the dark chocolate that he insists he doesn't like. Is this an ample analogy? Maybe? I'm unsure now.

I'm one of those folks that can't get through a game if the engine and UI are not up to my tastes, even if the underlying plot, setting, and characterization are phenomenal. It's like eating your third favorite soup with chopsticks if you're not good with them. It's probably not going to happen.
Welcome to Limit Theory where everything is procedural and the post count doesn't matter. ~Grumblesaur
12 FPS on your abacus? Sheesh, check out Mr Moneybags here. I can squeeze maybe 5 FPS out of my potato, and that's when I'm overclocking it. ~ThymineC
Steam sale discussion - name your bargains!

I was surprised there was no obvious thread about this. Anyway, so far I've picked up:
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • The Witcher
  • The Witcher 2
  • Borderlands 2
I'm still waiting for a decent discount on:
  • Shadow of Mordor
  • Wasteland 2
  • Cities: Skylines
My general policy is that if its 75% off (or more!) then I'll go for it.

Anyone got other recommendations?
Re: Steam sale discussion - name your bargains!

Recommendation: use istheranydeal, you can specify the cut you want and their mail system is reliable, unlike Steam :crazy:
I'm waiting to see if the X superbox (currently about 10 currencies) drops any lower, if it doesn't I'll get it towards the end of the sale.
Already got Homeworld and Octodad in daily deals.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Re: Steam sale discussion - name your bargains!

I do not have many games -- it was easy for me to find good deals.

I bought:
- Left 4 Dead (playing this right now)
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Metro 2033 Redux
- Metro Last Light Redux
- Borderlands 2 Game of the Year

Taking advantage of bundles where applicable, and also of 2 short-lived stronger discounts in the past days, I spent only 22 euros (instead of the 106 outside the Sale). Can not complain.

Online Now