Return to “Games”

Re: GOG Summer Sale

Charley_Deallus wrote:What is the Galaxy Client? I didn't feel like clicking it >.>
It's basically an early version of the steam client. Downloads and installs games for you, and gives you the option of downloading installers instead (which steam client doesn't do). It also lets you browse gog.com, and feels a lot more private than steam, which is nice. I don't get why Silver suggests to uninstall it. You can just tell it not to launch on startup and only open it when you need it. I do that with steam and the gog client anyway.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Why bad? Works fine for me :shrug:
Talvieno wrote:
Charley_Deallus wrote:What is the Galaxy Client? I didn't feel like clicking it >.>
It's basically an early version of the steam client. Downloads and installs games for you, and gives you the option of downloading installers instead (which steam client doesn't do). It also lets you browse gog.com, and feels a lot more private than steam, which is nice. I don't get why Silver suggests to uninstall it. You can just tell it not to launch on startup and only open it when you need it. I do that with steam and the gog client anyway.
Uninstall because why have another thing cluttering up precious disk space. :V
Bad because it doesn't really give you anything worth the time of installing it.
Downloading the individual games themselves works just as well.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

If it let you have all your GoG games in one place, as Steam does, then it's a good idea. I know people who don't buy games on GoG due to the fact that you have to download and install every game by yourself. People prefer to have everything in one nice list. So having two lists may be too much for some, but it's better than nothing, so it may incentive more people to buy their games on GoG.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Talvieno wrote:
Uh... how does the GOG Galaxy client give you the option to download the installers? I installed it a few months back (Galaxy) and it didn't give any such option for me, someone said it downloaded the installers when it installed a game, which is true... it did... but the installers it downloaded (I looked) weren't the same as if you downloaded it from the website and were instantly deleted after the game installed via the client.

I couldn't actually find any way to get the installers through the client so I uninstalled it. I'd love it if you are right because then I could use that to download the installers, which tbh the GOG Galaxy client is much faster and more stable in downloading for me, but... without the installers it's no different to steam really.

plillevold wrote:On each game, under the More -> Extra Downloads, the Game Backup Copy list enables you to download the game installers (edit: and patches) for every OS supported by the game.

Happy downloading :ghost:
Ohhh thanks. I will give that a try, I've gotta reinstall it though. If that works that will be great, given that when I download the game installers off the website I usually get around 50kB/sec to 200 kB/sec if I'm lucky not to mention the downloads keep stalling repeatedly through the download, something that has only rarely happened to me ever.
Re: Steam Sale Time!

Don't think they plan to discount it but: Factorio.

It is Sandbox. And based on the start and endgame, it is Space :angel:

...and conveyor belts...And laser turrets...and trains! What more could one possibly desire :D

And I should add: despite it being Early Access, it is rock solid. Aaand it have stolen 100+ hours of my life so far.
old-fashioned :ghost:
Re: Steam Sale Time!

Factorio devs have been plenty clear about their no discounts policy. I respect that. I would say they've priced it well.

I'm eyeballing Prison Architect. Decided against Crashlands for now. That's about it for me, as I'm strangely not inclined to shell out for JC3 or Tomb Raider at this time.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Online Now