Return to “Games”

Re: Classic X Pack on sale at Gog.com

Grabbed this because I love truly drm-free games but I've noticed at an increasing level that GOG's download servers seem to struggle quite considerably with handling these larger downloads. When I first got it earlier in the evening tried to download the 2 "big" parts and it was going at a pretty piddly 120-150kB/sec then after downloading about 300 megs of just one part the download simply stopped and didn't keep going. I paused it and resumed it and it resumed where it left off but I didn't wanna have to babysit the transfer and sometimes when that happens it never actually lets you resume the transfer at all. So I tried the "GOG Downloader" option and alas that was even worse. I kept getting checksum errors after about 100-200megs of it. Though at one point I managed to get about 800mb before it gave another checksum error but then it did. What is weird is that if I killed the downloader and restarted it, it would then download some more before giving the same error. So again I was looking like I was gonna have to babysit the download.

I'm about to head to bed though and I started the download up again and it was going at about 800kB/sec so I fired up both of the big part downloads and so far they seem to be trucking along quite well. All up I'm getting about 1-1.2 Mbps so that's something I suppose. Hopefully I'll wake up to it finished. Funny part is I have these games on Steam and while there is a DRM removed executable I always prefer getting a truly out of the box DRM-free game if I can. Especially if the price is good.

TGS wrote:Grabbed this because I love truly drm-free games but I've noticed at an increasing level that GOG's download servers seem to struggle quite considerably with handling these larger downloads. When I first got it earlier in the evening tried to download the 2 "big" parts and it was going at a pretty piddly 120-150kB/sec then after downloading about 300 megs of just one part the download simply stopped and didn't keep going. I paused it and resumed it and it resumed where it left off but I didn't wanna have to babysit the transfer and sometimes when that happens it never actually lets you resume the transfer at all. So I tried the "GOG Downloader" option and alas that was even worse. I kept getting checksum errors after about 100-200megs of it. Though at one point I managed to get about 800mb before it gave another checksum error but then it did. What is weird is that if I killed the downloader and restarted it, it would then download some more before giving the same error. So again I was looking like I was gonna have to babysit the download.

I'm about to head to bed though and I started the download up again and it was going at about 800kB/sec so I fired up both of the big part downloads and so far they seem to be trucking along quite well. All up I'm getting about 1-1.2 Mbps so that's something I suppose. Hopefully I'll wake up to it finished. Funny part is I have these games on Steam and while there is a DRM removed executable I always prefer getting a truly out of the box DRM-free game if I can. Especially if the price is good.
I've heard a lot of issues in the past with downloading particularly large files straight from the gog.com web site (the parts you mention). In the past to recommendation has been to use "GOG Downloader" and honestly you're the first person I've heard have a problem with it. However, I'm pretty sure that when the Galaxy Client beta opened to the public they also announced they were no longer supporting it so that could be why. You are free to use it, it may work, it may not, but they aren't going to maintain it or go out of their way to ensure it continues to work. The official options are either the direct file downloads or the galaxy client now (which you can get the installers through as well if you don't want galaxy to actually do the install.)

Asmodai wrote:I've heard a lot of issues in the past with downloading particularly large files straight from the gog.com web site (the parts you mention). In the past to recommendation has been to use "GOG Downloader" and honestly you're the first person I've heard have a problem with it. However, I'm pretty sure that when the Galaxy Client beta opened to the public they also announced they were no longer supporting it so that could be why. You are free to use it, it may work, it may not, but they aren't going to maintain it or go out of their way to ensure it continues to work. The official options are either the direct file downloads or the galaxy client now (which you can get the installers through as well if you don't want galaxy to actually do the install.)
Wow so the GOG galaxy client actually gives you the install files as well? I didn't go that route because I assumed it would do it all transparently like steam does not actually giving you the DRM-free installers with it. I'll definitely switch over to that. Though luckily the downloads did finish last night sort of successfully. Bin-1 was corrupt but the GOG downloader fixed it without me having to redownload the whole thing.

Will definitely be swapping over to the Galaxy client though if they allow you to keep the installers.
The Official Sales/Free Games Thread

It's that time of year again! Great time where lots of games are on sale. Now, the real question is:

What game(s) should be a priority? I have been looking at lists and lists of games but I don't know what are good buys and what are junk. Reviews and stuff like that can give hints but I really trust the opinions of my fellow gamers here. Since you all don't do anything else with your lives...right? :p

Oh and I tried finding the old thread that had steam sales and random games in it but the search kept telling me that I was using too common of words...
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus
Re: Steam Sale Time!

I believe the winter sale is the largest sale and the one with the biggest discounts, so I might wait a couple of weeks for it instead of picking up games right now. But I do have a few questions....

Have any of you played Descent Underground? Is it one large persistent world or is it map based like the original descent games?

I'd also like feedback on Galaxy on Fire 2 and Starpoint Gemini 2. Are these games enjoyable after beating the main campaign (story line)?

And I guess that's it for now. I'm basically looking for a solid sandbox space game that can hold my attention for a couple hundred hours worth of play.

I ended up uninstalling Starpoint Gemini 2 long before completing the campaign: frustrating load times eventually wore me down. I suspect that the devs did not find the code-elegance they might have hoped for.

I've picked up Endless Legend in the sale (it'll probly be the only one I get).
Extremely polished and confidently executed 4X is my day one impression. Pretty art and styling is noteworthy. Lots of lore throughout.
The One More Turn! compulsion is at least as strong as Civ's.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

IronDuke wrote:
BFett wrote:...
And I guess that's it for now. I'm basically looking for a solid sandbox space game that can hold my attention for a couple hundred hours worth of play.
Have you heard of Limit Theory? It's not out yet but it has some really cool stuff... :ghost: Sounds like what you're looking for... :ghost:

--IronDuke
Really? What kind of cool stuff? Does it have economics and space battles? :ghost:

Online Now