Return to “Games”

Re: X4 - Continuation of X Universe

On one hand, they were knowingly deceiving potential customers by releasing nothing but a cinematic trailer, zero gameplay, and no pre-release reviews. The whole thing was hush-hush, and thus predictably awful.

On the other hand, people still pre-ordered, despite the critical lack of information. Even with Egosoft's garbage track record of releasing games broken and kinda fixing them in three years. Remember the state X3 was shipped in? Some people remember.

I'm not saying the victims are to blame. But hopefully it has been a valuable lesson, and those burned by X:R aren't among those who are similarly angry for pre-ordering NMS.
panic

Mistycica wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:55 pm
I'm not saying the victims are to blame. But hopefully it has been a valuable lesson, and those burned by X:R aren't among those who are similarly angry for pre-ordering NMS.
I was more disappointed than angry, Mistycica. I pre-ordered both titles but the only game I was angry about was the one that Cody alludes to and that wasn't a pre-order. I've viewed the latest news concerning the development of X4 and there's a fair chance I'll end up pre-ordering it. :oops:

Some folks never learn. :mrgreen: :angel:

Announcement trailer is up, with early alpha gameplay footage.
https://youtu.be/FuIeKMYaIAk

Seems like the best bits from the previous X games mixed with the better bits of X Rebirth. :-)

50 minute live presentation with q&a. Presentation starts at 12 minute mark.
https://youtu.be/T10iR69-PqQ

Official imgur with 15 screenshots and explanations showing new features.
https://imgur.com/t/space/p5cIM
Last edited by Tycow on Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image LT Backer Number: 647 of 5449.

Yes, I should have provided a link. thanks for doing the necessary, Tycow.

I have to admit I like what I'm seeing. :D I'm one of the crowd who never really had a problem with X-Rebirth as I found the original games a bit heavy going. I like the direction in which Egosoft are heading with X4. :angel:

Edit: I do hope Josh can do as good a job with LT warp lanes/highways. Special effects bonanza. :mrgreen:

For once, X looks like it might be going a good direction. :D
Let's hope they get their empire management correct, and the flight controls better than they have had in the past.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

My guess is, that Egosoft will use the easiest approach, and basically use most elements of X-Rebirth (after current patches) , and just alter a few things to give it more of a feature-set similar to the classic X-Games. eg, player steering all types of ships, etc. plus more advanced station design.

Since X-Rebirth has a much more complex topography in space (stations) than the old games, the AI will still have a hard time to maneuver around.

Somehow they have never managed to get the UI working well to mix first person cockpit flight, and managing large numbers of ships and assets.
Not because they did not put effort into it, but by having a flawed concept in the first place. In Rebirth, mostly caused by trying to have support controllers.
Im shure there is a better way to design the concept of a GUI that is able to do those tasks.
I even think its possible to do all that by having controller support. But it would require to throw out ALL GUI implementations, and start from scratch.

Now I had some time to read up on the announcements.

What I found most interesting was the concept of transferring to AI controlled ships, where the player is taking over the role of the AI pilot, and any previous mission given to the AI pilot is an actual mission/objective for the player.

Would be interesting if an AI general could then also give a mission to the player, (for example to serve as a wingman, or conduct a trade run)
That would mean switching the roles between AI and player here.

I loved XR, especially after the multitude of updates it received post-release. Of course, for the optimum experience it requires mods, but that's true of a lot of games these days, even the best ones.

I'm extremely excited, they'd have to muck things up really badly in the PR department over the next two quarters to lose my money.

I really up they don't cut back too far on the walking around stations bit. I consider the Capital Ship Bridge mod to be essential, and would love to see more stuff like that. It contributes to the feeling of scale and immersion. No more smalltalk though, that mechanic can die in a fire.

Online Now