Return to “Games”

Nier Automata

How is there no thread for this game yet?!

Alright, so I've never played any of the other Nier games. Apparently this one is a spinoff from a joke ending in one of the original games. From what I hear, the original was set in a fantasy land, but this one is almost dystopian future. Due to life issues, I haven't been able to play too deep into it, but I can say that the combat is definitely fun, the characters are amusing, and the setting and plot so far? Pretty damn good.

You play as a bad-ass sword-swinging android sent to earth to try and reclaim it from an attacking race of machines. Might sound a bit out of left field, but incredibly fun. I'll leave the trailer here.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
Re: Nier Automata

Talvieno wrote:
JanB1 wrote:I heard you have to play at least 3 endings to fully enjoy it. :roll:
That's not necessarily a downside. The Stanley Parable has at least ten different endings, and you find yourself wanting to explore as many as possible. :lol:
Dinosawer wrote:
JanB1 wrote:I heard you have to play at least 3 endings to fully enjoy it. :roll:
Linear game: "THIS HAS NO REPLAY VALUE"
Non-linear game: "YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT N TIMES TO REALLY ENJOY IT"

:ghost:
I'm sorry, I clicked the wrong one. Got the wrong smiley there. Imo this is of course a good thing and not a bad one!

Sorry for the confusion. :shifty:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

They mean 3 Play-throughs to 'really' enjoy it.

But yeah, I have like 5 endings and I haven't beaten it yet.... mostly because I haven't had time, but same idea.

BMRX; you should start a new game just to die in the first overhead shooter part. :P
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

So, I've played through the first part of the game at this point, and some of the second playthrough (which really is quite different - you discover all sorts of neat things you didn't the first time around. I'm told it gets very different toward the end of the second playthrough, too.

I have little but praise to offer, so I'll keep it brief. This game is amazing, and if it wasn't for the issues with the PC ports, it'd be a real classic, I think. The issues are (mostly) fixable, at least, with the fan-made patch, though. I'd like to say more, but I'm not sure how much more I could say without spoiling anything. It's not particularly difficult to play, but feels very graceful, and the music is outstanding. There are also a few very emotional scenes I didn't see coming. The second playthrough turns it all around and I found myself actually feeling kind of emotional at things I didn't the first time around, because of the added backstory/detail.

It's just, overall, glorious. It's not as intense as a first person shooter (or, at least, wasn't until the end of the first playthrough), but if you want to pick up a game you can really relax to and enjoy, while still exploring and doing some (honestly pretty cool) fighting, this is a good one for it. If you like story, even better. It is a bit grindy, though - especially certain boss fights. Some boss fights can take upwards of fifteen minutes of repetitive hacking and slashing. Other than that, it's a real gem of a game, and I'm not even all the way through it. :) I have 37 hours in so far, and from the looks of it, there's a lot more content still to come.

(To be honest, I went into the game thinking I wasn't likely to enjoy it much at all. It didn't seem to be my type of thing. Turns out, it is. I mean, obviously.)

It's also worth noting I'm playing with a controller, and not a mouse and keyboard. The keyboard/mouse controls may not be as smooth/fun to play with, I don't know.
Have a question? Send me a PM!

Online Now