Return to “Games”

Overload

So the folks who originally worked on Descent decided last year to kick start a new game on the same theme (but not the same IP, as that's a whole mess). The game is called Overload.

It was kick started successfully, and they had a demo. Well a few days ago they updated the demo. I did a first impressions video if you want to see what it's like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08ixv6Mz_s

Spoiler: It's good :D
Shoot ALL the things!
Re: Overload

Is this in any way related to Descent Underground or the team currently working on that? It feels a little weird that the original Descent developer (Parallax Software) would've granted rights to use the Descent IP in more than one game currently under development.

It definitely looks good, but something smells like a DMCA takedown is about to occur.

Edit: I see now that you said it was a new IP instead of the original. This is probably what you meant by 'whole mess'. :lol:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:Is this in any way related to Descent Underground or the team currently working on that? It feels a little weird that the original Descent developer (Parallax Software) would've granted rights to use the Descent IP in more than one game currently under development.

It definitely looks good, but something smells like a DMCA takedown is about to occur.

Edit: I see now that you said it was a new IP instead of the original. This is probably what you meant by 'whole mess'. :lol:
Well, hence why they arent using the descent IP but "only" make a descent alike game :D

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Well, hence why they arent using the descent IP but "only" make a descent alike game :D
Exactly. The folks who left Star Citizen who are making the new descent game (like Wingman and other folks) bought some IPs, but it's my understanding that not everything is owned by the original company and it's been split up through company acquisitions to the point where a lot of it will be legally locked forever.

The folks making Overload are some of the original developers on Descent 1 and 2 (possibly other ones). They aren't using ANY of the IP and it's legally distinguished enough to not be copyright infringement.

Not sure if it's clear in my video (sarcasm here lol), but I was floored by the new demo. It's free on Steam, so go check it out if you have time. SO good.
Shoot ALL the things!

Oh, this looks really interesting. At first, I did read "Overlord", but figured you guys wouldn't talk about a "Dungeon Keeper"-Clone, but rather another sci-fi game. ^^
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Aww, man I hope you get a better PC so you can try this out, though maybe you're waiting for a new LT before you upgrade :)

It's fast, it's fluid. It's the descent game I wanted, and I deserve. Well maybe not deserve. BUT WANTED! I am however quickly getting bumped off the leaderboards. These young wipper snappers... I tells ya!
Shoot ALL the things!

davidparadis wrote:Aww, man I hope you get a better PC so you can try this out, though maybe you're waiting for a new LT before you upgrade :)
No, I'm just waiting for enough money to upgrade. :) I think a decent computer is rather important for my job at this point.

It's a joy to watch you (or anyone, really) play this game because of how fluid the gameplay looks. Simply gorgeous.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Okay, I've tried the demo out on a better PC.

It's gorgeous! The game feels so smooth and fluid! I really love it. It was almost unplayable at a lower framerate, I see now. I thought I was just bad, but no, it's the framerate. :D It made a huge difference, and it's fun! The full game is definitely on my to-buy list.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now