Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discuss games not related to Limit Theory.

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Postby Zanteogo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:10 am

masseffect7 wrote:If this -> https://techraptor.net/content/report-bioware-outsourced-mass-effect-andromeda-facial-animations is true I think that explains quite a bit. Also, just to speak to the idea that this is a fan-made game, while I do think it is important that a developer loves what they are working on, I think it is not good for a developer to be a fanboy or a fangirl of what they are working on. Fanboys/girls are often blinded to objective traits that make a game great, instead they become attached to certain emotions and feelings that a game creates in them. In this case, I think you can definitely see an attachment to the feeling of discovery. In the attempt to evoke the associated emotion, they tried to create vast worlds in a new galaxy, but this made them miss on what attracted most fans to the series, which I believe was good characters, good writing, and the feeling that decisions you make matter.

"politically correct corporate culture to sensitivity to characters, particular female ones, unrealistic or too attractive"
-Bioware employee 5:20 mark in video

So pretty much at least in part what I figured.
My Signature
Zanteogo
Rear Admiral

Postby JanB1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:18 am

https://www.masseffect.com/news/the-jou ... 53509845=1

Big improvements announced. Let's see what we'll get...
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here

Flatfingers wrote:23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"
JanB1
Rear Admiral

Postby fox » Mon May 01, 2017 2:02 am

Any comment on the 1.05 patch?
The eyes look much better, I see.

For future patches they promise improvements on the general look of the characters. Considering that the bodies were okay from the start I would cautiously assume that this is aimed at the faces, but they just do not want to say it.

Anyway, what about the other bugs addressed in 1.05? Youtube is not showing much about it.
fox
Lieutenant Commander

Postby masseffect7 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:21 pm

I'm watching a friend play through it (I have no desire to play through it again at this point, which is saying a lot since I played previous ME titles at least 7 times through each) and I see some difference as far as improving the eyes and some lip sync issues, but still some of the facial expressions are so out of place and awkward that they completely ruin scenes. I can't tell whether to take characters seriously because the facial expression often does not correlate with what they're saying and the emotion I think they are trying to convey. This is a game that's going to need a lot of work just on the graphic and technical side, but even if those things were perfect I don't believe that it could overcome the amateurish writing that shows up all too often throughout the game. This is a game that needs major changes to be done. Rewrite the dialogue, bring in new voice actors, and use facial capture technology. A game with this kind of budget should not have this many problems. It's amazing that it was released when it was, but I'm not sure that more time would have helped. Bioware isn't the developer it once was. Many of the key people who were involved in creating their best games are no longer around. I don't think Bioware is up to the job of making AAA entries anymore.
masseffect7
Lieutenant Commander

Previous

Return to Games