Return to “Games”

Re: Ultimate General

Civil War looks good.
But I played Gettysberg and didn't like it all that much. But then perhaps I didnt learn it properly.

Might give it another shot again.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);
Re: Ultimate General

Gunther Haldan wrote:It's a real time american civil war sim.
What, it takes four years to play through it?

;)

I think it must have been around 1982 that I first played a BASIC game that was a U.S. Civil War sim, probably adapted from the version in Dave Ahl's classic 101 BASIC Computer Games. I was fascinated by the chance to play "what-if" games with history, and spent hours trying different offensive and defensive combinations for each battle to discover whether (according to the program's author) the war was winnable from the Confederate side. (That was the more interesting option given how things actually turned out.)

It's sort of nice to see that people are still willing to make simulations about this historical event, and more are still willing to play simulations about it. It's just too bad that advertising them is more difficult. Apple, for example, actually pulled Ultimate General: Gettysburg from the App Store in 2015 because the game's artwork included -- GASP -- the Confederate flag. :crazy: Which is probably why the main screen artwork for Steam's Early Access version of Ultimate General: American Civil War carefully does not show the Confederate flag.

Online Now