Return to “Games”

Children of a Dead Earth

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =673559448

If you like Kerbal Space Program and you like space combat, you might like this game. It is literally the most realistic space combat game I've ever seen, with full orbital mechanics, realistic weapons (lasers, missiles, KEWs), and realistically-designed ships (with radiators! ;) ) It looks kind of like a combat-oriented KSP, as you can design your own warships and fly missions in a full-size Solar System, using orbital trajectories to get in a good position to destroy your opponent. The game is, sadly, in closed beta at the moment, but from what I can tell it will be released this fall if all goes according to plan.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Image This is a picture of a ship getting blown to crap by KEWs (the bright lines are tracers.) The ship's design is typical of the game, which mostly provides cylinder-shaped designs.
Re: Children of a Dead Earth

I'll pass. This has enough meaningless math to choke a space whale, and all the emotional appeal of of a dead cockroach. The whole thing just leaves me cold. Realism does absolutely nothing for me in space games, and this seems to be about as much fun as a textbook on orbital mechanics and firing solutions. Probably best left to an AI to calculate the most optimal performance, and then have it do the associated math as well.

This might become a decent simulation, but it has a snowball's chance in hell to become a fun game.

-Hardenberg, who learned the hard way that "realism" and "scientific accuracy" makes for shitty games AND stories.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Hardenberg wrote:I'll pass. This has enough meaningless math to choke a space whale, and all the emotional appeal of of a dead cockroach. The whole thing just leaves me cold. Realism does absolutely nothing for me in space games, and this seems to be about as much fun as a textbook on orbital mechanics and firing solutions. Probably best left to an AI to calculate the most optimal performance, and then have it do the associated math as well.

This might become a decent simulation, but it has a snowball's chance in hell to become a fun game.

-Hardenberg, who learned the hard way that "realism" and "scientific accuracy" makes for shitty games AND stories.
IronDuke wrote:OMIGOSH
SOMEONE'S ACTUALLY MAKING ONE OF THESE! :o
HULK WANT! :twisted:

--IronDuke
These quotes have made my day with their proximity. :lol:

And I'm not sure if IronDuke did it on purpose. :think: :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

I was kind of surprised it hadn't been posted about before either. Reading the Atomic Rockets site I began wishing for a game like this, and when I looked at the "seal of approval" page, lo and behold, there it was! Even if there's too much math, it'll be an interesting look at space combat I think. If nothing else it'll make it easier to envision what it might be like.

Online Now