Return to “Games”

Dual Universe

So ... today at 00:00, Dual Universe got 500k euro needed to kickstart their game.

They're releasing update video for that occasion, including battle mechanics and all that ...

Anyone else following the development of that?

edit.: I am not posting this in Games because I am not sure it belongs there. If it does, well boomdeyada.
Re: Dual Universe

Cornflakes_91 wrote: how is a thread about DU not relevant for a thread about DU..?
for one, your questions are very offtopic.
for the other, I hoped to see content of a very disparate nature.

I am sorry for making a mistake.
Last edited by esteemdav on Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thread merge!

For future reference:
- Thread necromancy is strongly encouraged here, if you have reason and aren't just doing it because you're bored.
- We aren't really strict about off-topic unless someone complains about it. Threads here go all over the place and aren't strictly confined to one particular area of subject matter. If it turns into a lengthy conversation and someone complains that they can't talk about the original conversation anymore, then we'll split it - but it would normally have to be something like a physics discussion in a thread about UI customization.

Thanks for making the thread, esteemdav. :) You didn't do a thing wrong. I'm just keeping the place tidy.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

They broke their 500k goal, as I said in irc... a small step for a game but a big step for simkind :D .

Now they have to demonstrate "just" seamless transitions without stutter, enough players have to be online to keep everything running... Im not 100% convinced on the technical side.
outlander4 wrote: What I'd love to see in LT is not really PCG but simulation ...
Basically, Dwarf Fortress: adventurer mode, IN SPACE!

GMpow2 wrote:They broke their 500k goal, as I said in irc... a small step for a game but a big step for simkind :D .

Now they have to demonstrate "just" seamless transitions without stutter, enough players have to be online to keep everything running... Im not 100% convinced on the technical side.
Well, they've made that video with 1200 player bots to demonstrate how the technology they've created work and it was all right.

Zanteogo wrote:It's still unfortunate that they wasted all this on an MMO.
I think it's unfortunate that they will have multiple planets. There are a handful of games that use enormous planets and then waste them by having the player travel to other planets. It's a shame because there is so much that can be done on a planet. Things like territory control through building voxel structures, development of aerial fighters and tanks, and a player ran economy based on the supply and demand of limited resources.

Dual Universe might do this, or they could fail by making a system which is too complex, too large and too scattered. I'm highly skeptical of the combat system and how it will be implemented. From the sounds of it, they will not have point and click mechanics but something closer to a target system. I guess we'll see where it goes from here.

BFett wrote:
Zanteogo wrote:It's still unfortunate that they wasted all this on an MMO.
I think it's unfortunate that they will have multiple planets. There are a handful of games that use enormous planets and then waste them by having the player travel to other planets. It's a shame because there is so much that can be done on a planet. Things like territory control through building voxel structures, development of aerial fighters and tanks, and a player ran economy based on the supply and demand of limited resources.
And all of the things are going to be in the game....

Online Now